1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hw95k Or Standard 95

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ChrisR7676, Jul 16, 2020.

1. ChrisR7676

ChrisR7676 Active Member

I’m currently looking for my first air rifle to own, but have used them lots over the years. I would say I’m a BSA fan because of my old mans Airsporter S but it seems the name is being dragged down with some quality issues of recent years, even if the guns are aesthetically pleasing.

This has moved me from looking at the BSA Lightning se xl and more towards the Weihrauch Hw95k.

The reviews seem all positive for the HW95k and was wondering if I could get some advise on this specific gun first hand. I’m more looking at the .22 but could be persuaded towards the .177. I mainly shoot rabbits and a few pigeons and shoot without any stands with a scope etc.

Furthermore, does anyone have one or know someone selling one?

Cheers

2. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

Personally, I'd rather have a full length barrel.
    Shot cycle can be made smoother as the longer barrel is more efficient. Its also shorter than the one with the 310mm barrel and silencer

ChrisR7676 likes this.
  3. ChrisR7676

ChrisR7676 Active Member

I always thought there wasn’t much more benefit over 300mm in length especially at under 12ft/lbs. But that’s just what I’ve read on this gun.

4. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

What you've read isn't correct. The 16" barrel is considerably more power efficient.
    Though both the 12 and 16 barrels will both make legal limit power, the 16" does it easier, so gives a nicer shooting rifle

ChrisR7676 and foxtrott like this.
  5. Curlyhunter.22

Curlyhunter.22 Better to be p****d off the p****d on.

Slight hi-jack...

What is the difference between the 95 and I think 98 the ones with the same stocks?

CC

6. ChrisR7676

ChrisR7676 Active Member

Ah right I see. Well thanks for explaining why

7. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

The 98 is a 95 action with a fancy stock and a shrouded barrel.

8. Jiggy ward

Jiggy ward Donator

It's not a shroud really it's a sleeve for weight

ChrisR7676 likes this.
  9. Jiggy ward

Jiggy ward Donator

I've always had 95k's I find them the best break barrel always gone for the carbine as I like the little thud and not crack when fired

ChrisR7676, foxtrott and Magnum Farce like this.
  10. ChrisR7676

ChrisR7676 Active Member

Have you got one currently? It seems like the gun I want sub £400 (Hw95k) and the in-line reviews seem very promising. Just need my own one to go get rabbits

11. Geezer

Geezer Big Poster

Full length. Less hold sensitive because of the added forward weight, and a bit more power for a given power plant, which also makes it less hold sensitive. .22” will be a bit nicer than .177” and not a disadvantage at sensible (25-30M max) springer ranges.

If you want a K, whack the heaviest (within reason) muzzle device on it that you can find.

ChrisR7676 likes this.
  12. Jiggy ward

Jiggy ward Donator

I certainly do its my longest serving rifle I've spent a pretty penny over the years too to get it how a want it I've just another stock to get now but waiting for the right one to come along

I've had all 4 cals too and I reckon the .22 is the best for my needs but I do like the .25 cal also

ChrisR7676 and foxtrott like this.
  13. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

I have a 95k in .22, they're very good guns and should shoot well in any barrel length.
    I wouldn't worry too much about shot cycle & the power, get the one that feels nicer in your shoulder, power & shot cycle can be made to how you want it later on with tuning kits etc.
    But if the gun doesn't feel right when it's in your shoulder then adding or removing weight from the muzzle is going to have a limited effect on balance etc.
    Get the one that feels right & suits your shooting.

ChrisR7676 likes this.
  14. shergar

shergar Big Poster

Get the 177 with full length barrel and enjoy the delights of open sights whilst your eyes are young enough to use them. Better to have scope as an option rather than requirement. I shoot a 95K in 22, although it's a fine gun I suspect the idea of cropping the barrel and adding a silencer came from the marketing men rather than the engineers.

ChrisR7676 likes this.
  15. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

I'd go with full length over moderated carbine every time. Also, have you considered the 99s as an alternative to the 95? (I think it's a better rifle)...

ChrisR7676 and shergar like this.
  16. ChrisR7676

ChrisR7676 Active Member

I don’t know that much of the 99s. I have seen lots of people suggest them though like the 95 but I don’t know what the advantages and disadvantages are. I’m mostly shooting rabbits at a reasonable distance so whatever would be best really.

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  17. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

The internals of the 99s are just right for running sub-12. The 95 was designed to run +12 and is gelded for the UK market. This means that you're carrying a bigger, heavier and more expensive gun than necessary. Some prefer the extra bulk, but many who own both models will tell you that the 99s is easier to shoot accurately. The .177 99s that I use is the most accurate springer that I've ever had - and there's been a few.

No doubt some of the less enlightened will be along shortly to tell you about the 99s galling issue. They will tell you that every 99s will suffer from the problem - utter BS, neither of mine have shown any signs of galling, even after many thousands of pellets through each of them. There is however, the potential for a problem, but the smart folk here will be happy to tell you about the galling prevention/fix.

I would happily buy another 99s, even if I knew it need a minor fettle from new. In my opinion, it's the best break-barrel sporter bar none...

ChrisR7676 likes this.
  18. PaulBB

PaulBB Never Knowingly Undershot

It’s the 95k for me in .22
    Still sad I sold mine.

ChrisR7676 likes this.
  19. ChrisR7676

ChrisR7676 Active Member

I seem to be going more towards the 95k still. Is there any benefit or disadvantage from the standard 95 with the longer barrel with no moderator (with muzzle weight). I like the 95k with the shorter barrel and moderator on but if I could fit a decent moderator on the longer barrel 95 then I might be more swayed that way.

20. ChrisR7676

ChrisR7676 Active Member

Cheers for all the info on both. I can understand the benefits of both guns and especially under the U.K. power limit. I think it may come down to holding and shooting feel. May have to try and test out both guns