1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice HW95 or HW98

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ovy4213, Jun 29, 2012.

?

What rifle

1. HW98

22.2%
  2. HW95

50.0%
  3. Other

27.8%
  1. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

I'm looking for a new break barrel, I was considering getting a Ultra but after adding up the costs of the charging equipment and a tench reg fitted its not currently viable.
    I currently use my tx200hc for most of my shooting needs, but I fancy a break barrel aswell instead of using an under leaver all the time.
    After having a look around I have settled down to a HW95 or HW98. I will be looking second hand, will be v-mach fitting it and later on down the line will probably get a CS stock for it.
    What do you guys think I should get?
    I will be either buying it or trading it for a couple of my springers (77k and lightning XL).
    I know the 98 is slightly heavier but are either of them generally better built? It will be mostly for hunting but plinking as well.
    Im also open to suggestions of other break barrels I should consider.

2. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

I couldn't choose either so I got both..:)

3. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

Hw98 for me bud! But that's only on looks! I nearly bought a v mached 98 but someone nipped in and bought it before I could sell some bits n bobs! Firing it.. was the smoothest springer I had come across!

4. bradleymarky

bradleymarky Keyboard Hero

I had a 95 in a 98 stock, best of both worlds.

http://[​IMG]

5. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Posting Addict

Ditto! HW95 Vmach'd in HW98 stock. Swapped mine for my Evolution recently... theoben break barrels do it for me ;)

6. Akita177

Akita177 Addicted to Iron

Bradley your might wanna check your scope/mount looks like its on its way to sliding of the back of the gun.

7. Egg

Egg Major Poster

There's zero difference between them other than cosmetic. They share the exact same action with the only differences being the 98's barrel has a sleeve and it sits in a sexier stock.

8. bradleymarky

bradleymarky Keyboard Hero

The scope was only resting on the gun for the picture.....the gun was sold a while ago..

9. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

You guys genuinely like the 98 stock? HW can't make stocks to start with but the 98 one looks like you have to collect tokens from cereal boxes.

10. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

Get an SMK XS20 its a HW95 copy and a very good one at that, get it tuned and it shoots just as good if not better and you will have money left over to put towards a new scope.

11. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

Why have cotton when you can have silk?

12. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

Why have belly pork when you can steak lol... the XS20 with custom stock looks very nice, I'm after a decent springer and this gun is great for the price. As far as other SMK guns go I like the XS19 and XS208. I like the HW95 and HW98 but can get a decent gun for half the price.

13. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

It maybe half the price but then your gonna p**s around tuning it so that more cost and time so its not half the price why buy a copy of something when you can get the real thing. You wont beat a HW for quality and going down the chinese route is not a good idea imo

14. peteb823

peteb823 Posting Addict

Second hand hw95k 130pounds :D picked it up about an hour ago, great condition :eek: the quality and feel of it is out of this world :D straight up ! I'm now a happy member of the HW club and won't look back :thumbup:

15. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

If you enjoy tuning and tinkering then going down the Chinese route would be a good idea, you will still have a decent gun for less money, they aren't as sh*te as people make them out to be so long as you stick to the XS19, XS20, XS208 and one or two other models. You'd be surprised just how many things are made in China these days and sold over here that are of decent quality if you know what to look for.

16. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

Theres only about £100 difference new, then all your tuning costs on top and there no amount of tuning that can touch the trigger of the hw your not really saving much its a no brainer.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  17. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

The XS20 has a copy of the HW Rekord trigger which is supposed to be good and you can get a trigger mod which will improve it even more, its a fettlers gun and not for everyone. You can pick up a XS20 for around £150 and the custom for £190, yes tuning and mods ups the price but would still be cheaper in the long run.

18. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

I have quite a few chinese guns, only one I really liked tuning was the 78, but I just love weihrauch and air arms, there build quality, ability to stand up to age and there blueing are all #1 in quality.
    I am after a good quality gun I can put away and get out and its great every time not really after a project gun.
    Thanks for the replies though, think I will be going for the 98 though after having read around a bit and looked at various groupings by the same people with both guns.
    But I know fine well a few months down the line I will also end up buying a 95 and getting yelled at by the wife. :D

19. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

Oh and one last question, does the sleeved barrel of the 78 make any difference to its noise levels or performance or just make it looks bulkier?

20. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Posting Addict

I found the barrel sleeve on my hw98 offered a similar dampening to the report that a moderator has. Dont think it was as quiet as my vmach's hw95 with a slimtec mod but not loud by any means. The hw98 has a very positive barrel lock-up, more so than the hw95 and a little more than my evolution even... i literally had to hit the barrel to break it! I found the hw95 better/weight balance, the hw98 is a little front heavy and when scoped it was a bit to weighty for me. Both are nice though.