1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question HW95 .20 - to .22, or not to .22, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177, Mar 7, 2014.

1. 177

177 Donator

OK, bit of a daft one:

I've a weekend home alone ahead of me and I'm already at a loss what to do with myself :rolleyes:

Please remember this is a family friendly forum so any suggestion on what I can do with myself should be polite. Reasonably...

;)

As some of you may remember I have an old HW95 with a bit of history to it. Formerly Venom tuned, now with a superb Vortek kit installed and a .20 HW80 barrel with one of Matt's silencers fitted, looks like this (top):

[​IMG]

It's a good rig, the quietest springer I have ever shot, running with low single figure consistency at around 11.1 FPE with .20 H&N FTT

A combination of being home alone, my PCP being AWOL having some mods done on it, the fact that I happen to have a .22 HW80 barrel lying around, the weather's looking pants for fishing :( well, it all got me thinking (on a weekday too :rolleyes: )

So, to .22 or not to .22 ?

Would you ?

Wouldn't you ?

Should I ?

Or not ?

I don't drink but now might be a good time to start...

;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I wouldn't because what your setup is now,is the best of both calibers on a fantastic chassis,why change?

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Hmmm, tricky one. I think that if I'd gone to the bother of sourcing either the rifle or the barrel in .20 I probably wouldn't bother. However, I also like a tinker, so I might give it a try just for the hell of it - after all, you can always swap them back if you don't like it.

4. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

go ahead and swap em.... i'll buy your .20 barrel and shroud it for my 95:p

5. 177

177 Donator

Looks like a .22 swap tomorrow morning, a quick chrono and, depending on the results, some range testing with a couple of different pellets and see how it shoots.

As Jackroadkill says, I can always flip it back again...

6. 177

177 Donator

Gun now looks like this:

[​IMG]

Starting at the bottom left and working up, this was my dialling in card shooting bend rested at 30 metres:

[​IMG]

And this is 5 shots at 30 metres, also benchrested, using .22 JSB Exact running at 11.57 FPE average:

[​IMG]

:D

The .20 barrel is in the workshop while I decide whether to keep the gun as .22 or switch back to .20

Given that I ran out of .20 pellets this morning it's staying .22 for the next few days at the very least :rolleyes:

I hate an unsatisfied curiosity, but now I know what it's like :)

7. JD

JD Donator

Quick get the .20 barrel in the sales section.

First dibs mate. lol

8. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

too late JD i asked first:p

9. JD

JD Donator

Don't like to sink your boat Mark, but I asked over 2 years ago when 177 had 2 of them. ; )

10. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

Oh poo....

11. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Ha ha you have caused something now barry lol

I personaly loved my .22 hw80k but it was to long for my liking with a hw mod on, but yours looks really nice and compact even against your 99.

So was iut just a straight barrel swap and no fettling internaly to get the power how it is? Apart from what kits youve previously mentioned?

I like it! Noow you need to find a cheap hw to put that .20 barrel on:)

Gaz

12. 177

177 Donator

Well, either I disappoint one of them or disappoint both by keeping the .20 barrel myself ;)

I am (read was) in the process of running the number of guns I have down. I've managed to get into single figure numbers for the first time in years :D

As you say, I could look for another project *sigh* and drop the .20 barrel onto it.

Hmmm...

Maybe an HW80, sleeved down, and...

No, wait, hang on, what just happened ?

You're a bad, bad man Gaz...

;)

I shortened the .22 barrel twice yesterday until I was happy with how it handled and ran.

The gun's internals weren't touched at all - I had expected to have to slow things down a shade but in jumping from .20 to .22 power went from 11.1 to 11.57 average. That's a smidge higher than I like my springers to be, but not enough to get excited about, so it's getting left alone and used as-is for now.

It might be my imagination but it feels easier to be accurate with now - I'm not making any wild claims about lower perceived recoil or other nonsense - I just seem to have to put less in to coax accuracy out, if that makes sense.

This .22 barrel has seen better days so I think I will either buy a new one in if I decide to keep it in .22 or have this one blued to match the rest of the gun.

For now though, it's going to get a good session this afternoon - if the weather holds I will try and get up to Stuart's range with a few springers and make a nuisance of myself for an hour or three :)

13. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

:D i know what i would do!

And when you say your thining your guns out i read that as you have had your eyes caught by a new rifle or a new idea you want to pursue........yes?

Interesting to know the jump to and from both calibers is not a huge difference as it may be with 177 to 22.

Sounds like you have a plan formulating for this lonely barrel already so i will let you think a bit more on it:)

What lenghts the 22 barrel down to now then? Mine was 14" i think? It was 16" if i remember rightly but had 2" took of and had it screwcut,if it was shorter i would have been happier with it! Was just worried about power and accuracy.

Ive been meaning to get up to swarlands to test out my new to me bsa superstar carbine and zero my new scope on my scorpion se but finding the time is hard with work and family:(

Gaz

14. 177

177 Donator

Just going back to FAC after 25 years away from it. I will always run some air rifles though - on some of my permissions they are the only viable option for effective rabbit control.

I will measure the .22 barrel later and get back to you. It could easily go shorter but it handles nicely as it is so that's how it will stay for now.

Stuart just texted to say thee are 8 shooters there at the moment so lunchtime onwards is likely to be a better bet :)

15. JD

JD Donator

Given the power curve wasn't that much difference, changing from .20 to .22 I wonder if adding a .177 to the equation would throw up some interesting results ?

Or would it be just as dissapointing as myself knowing, your not going to part with your .20 barrel. lol

16. 177

177 Donator

Ironic that the springer in question started life as a .177

Way back when Venom first tuned it, it still had its original .177 barrel on. Switching to .22 resulted in being well over the limit, as you would expect. Going the other way will see a drop, obviously.

Given that I already have a .177 HW99S there's no point in a .177 HW95 as well.

Been there.

Done that.

The HW99 is the one and only .177 gun I will own. I don't want or need any more in the smaller calibre.

Not wanting to start yet another pointless debate I prefer .22 or .20

17. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Well seeing as its been a .177 , .20 , .22 , just go .25 for fun! Is there even a hw .25 barrel out there in the uk?

I really like the hw99/95/80 and i was only put of my hw80k due to the length.
    To see your 95 nice and short and grouping like it is with power output like it has......its making me want another springer! I was all for saving for a .177 pcp but now the hw springer route is calling me again! I have my fave underlever so need a break barrel.

The hw99 shoots better in .22 ive read and id want .177 or .20 so maybe a 95???

177 it is you that is a very bad man for what your making my mind want!!!!

I had my plan!

Now its plans:D

Gaz

18. 177

177 Donator

Yes, but we already knew that didn't we ?

;)

I thought about the .20 barrel a bit this afternoon while shooting at Stuart's range.

I'm not getting an HW80 - I've had Venom, sleeved down, tuned standard internals and loads of other permutations and I came to the conclusion that adding additional weight to a gun that's already heavy to give it internals like the smaller and lighter HW95/HW99 is nuts.

I was furious at Stuart's range earlier - I couldn't believe it. I actually missed a 30 yard spinner :(

;)

A few folks had a go with my guns today at Stuart's.

One chap said he was about to tell me my HW99s was the nicest springer he had ever shot, and then he shot my HW95 which blew it clear out of the water.

Someone else said my 95 was the nicest springer he had ever shot, and both commented on how quiet and 'soft' it was on firing.

Everyone wanted to know what had been done to the guns :)

People were also very complimentary about the little Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 1.75-5x32 scopes I have on them, once they'd had a peep through, and once I'd told them what the primary and secondary zero ranges were they were happily giving the spinners hell :D

It's always nice to get positive feedback :)

It took a lot of work to get the 99 shooting this nicely - the .22 HW99s is a much better gun by far right out of the box.

If I was going for a .177 right now I think I'd look at a Diana 280, preferably full length, but I'm done with .177 now, other than this little HW99. Apart from it, I won't be buying any more or using any more .177 air rifles.

Period.

I won't buy another HW95 either now that I know I can get the 99 shooting very well in both calibres. There simply isn't a case for the higher spend when you're getting the same trigger unit in a smaller, lighter gun that somehow contrives to not have the muzzle flip the 95 can be so prone to, for a chunk less cash. I've heard people bleating on about the height of the comb but I've had 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff scopes on mine before without issue as well as the smaller Bushnell Legends. Who need more glass than that on a lightweight springer ?

Back to the HW80, there's no mileage in me making a heavy gun heavier to get it shooting as well as it can when I can start off with a lighter option and enjoy very nice shooting manners.

So, since the HW99s uses a different barrel, that leaves a .20 barrel lying in the workshop with no clear plan for its use...

Mick (the logun-ator) was hammering the targets today at Stuarts with his rapid fire S16. I amused myself by trying to put him off - when he was knocking the resettable rat target kill zone I shot the reset a few times with the HW99. Didn't seem to put him off but you have to try ;)

A grand afternoon was had by all, and it was nice to see so much interest in springers :up:

19. 177

177 Donator

Well, I've .22'd and now it's time to .22 no more, at least as far as the 95 is concerned.

The .22 barrel is coming off, the gun is going back to .20 and I'm shortening the .20 barrel and recrowning it before refitting the moderator.

I have no issue with the gun being .22; in fact, it shoots really nicely in that calibre, I just already have various .22's to choose from, so by reverting the HW95 back to .20 I keep that calibre open to me, which gives me the HW99s in .177, the HW95 (soon to be back) in .20, the Theoben Sirocco in .22 and my Logun Dominator in .22

I'm not counting the HW77 in .22 because someone has asked for that, so chances are I won't be owning it much longer.

So the time to .22 has been and gone and I think I'd like the gun over the long term to remain a .20 calibre.

So there we are - a worthwhile exercise in distilling things down to preference. Sometimes you just don't know unless you scratch the itch...

;)