1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

HW90 the best gas ram available ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hoodster, May 22, 2014.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

Available new that is, I would like a bit of everything in my collection so at some point one of these will be investigated are they any good ?
    Why aren't gas rams more popular aren't they like a springer with no twang ? Any points or opinions welcomed :)

2. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

The problem with them is the recoil, as it is unidirectional (ie one way) and that makes people who are used to the bucking bronco of coiled steel turn into quivering wrecks and scream about scope wrecking etc etc.

Handled properly the 90 is a superb gun, accurate, quiet and capable of great things! I have one in my collection along with a gas rammed 60 S...

3. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

What Moley said. Its more reminiscent of a small CF round, and all the better for it. The HW90 is ok, but an earlier Theoben Scirroco/Fenman/Taunus/SLR would be (and is) my choice.

4. 177

177 Donator

Two things I wasn't massively keen on with my HW90:

1. weight
    2. trigger

Even for a Weihrauch the HW90 is heavy.

In fairness, and on balance, the trigger is actually bad, it's just that after years of using the Rekord unit you get spoiled for almost everything else on the market.

It's safe, predictable and ticks all the boxes - I just didn't like how mine felt and no amount of adjustment got me where I wanted to be.

My mate's is a joy though, so I consider my old one an anomaly.

One thing I couldn't fault was accuracy - it was a real tack driver once you get used to how to hold and shoot it.

Lots to recommend them, if you can stand lugging all that weight around.

Like Tinbum I went for an earlier Theoben example.

5. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I thought the theoben's would get a mention they do seem to be the gas ram of choice for most, trouble is you can't buy new and finding one suitable for a left hander in a condition I want for my collection might not be possible that's why I was looking at the hw90 which seems to be unchallenged in the marketplace.

6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Donning my ever-popular tactful-and-non-controversial hat... :p

I would say the aren't any good, for many of the reasons that also probably explain why they haven't usurped springers as the kings of the recoiling market. Having owned a couple of HW90s, I abandoned them on account of:

- Poor trigger; not terrible and better than Theoben's offerings but not up to the standard of the Rekord on spring-powered HWs
    - Significant weight
    - Very sharp and harsh recoil despite weighing as much as a small family car
    - Inefficiency - I measured one at around 2/3 to 1/2 as efficient as a decent springer
    - Potential for leaking and reduced muzzle energy
    - Cost; more coin than a TX/77/97 and nowhere near as good

Not with a barge pole IMO ;)

7. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Pretty sure the 90's trigger is a mash-up of a Webley (model escapes me - the one they initially welded on to the Fenman before they added the Theoben one) - it was...... alright, not a Rekord by any stretch of the imagination.

The only Theoben trigger I liked was the one on the Olympus I used to have but even that was a bit industrial. All the other Theoben rammers I had were blessed by the stick of steel Theoben saw fit to add to them and, again, they were industrial, felt spongy and were hard to love.

8. secretagentmole

Webley Omega Egg, it was the Webley Omega, which has now been transmogrified into the Quattro!

9. talent

talent Posting Addict

I had no end of problems with the safety catch on mine .... Got the gun changed in the end

10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Agree with the comments regarding Thoeben's triggers. The one on my Eliminator is basic to the point of laughability.

11. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Interesting what people are saying about rams and Theoben triggers. I took mine to the vintage and springer day a week or two back and let folks have a go with them...the SLR disappeared for the afternoon going fromone pair of hands to another. I actually thought someone had stolen it....I got three offers to buy it there and then. One guy said, "you can't miss with this".....the Taunus hybrid of mine was also in demand to be prized out of my hands. Thankfully I refused all offers (and two were significant, one on each rifle)

I shall say nothing more about them, because I get grief behind the scenes if I do...maybe mine are just better than the norm.

12. Egg

Egg Major Poster

^^ You have to admit though that the more modern Theoben's triggers were a hit or a miss as to whether they were just adequate or totally Censored.

13. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Egg, what do you mean by modern?

The youngest of mine is 2001. The SLR98

14. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Anything from approx 2001/2002 onwards - the Evo springs to mind. Or rams to mind at least.

15. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

If its got dovetails don't touch it!

16. Mike C

Mike C Member

I'm catching up after a looong break, I asked elsewhere why in the media gasrams are still being touted as a breakthrough new technology.
    I even discovered I purchased off the cuff the 1st pistol with a gasram thats kind of 25+ years behind the dragcurve...... Beats me?

I had an HW90 and despite it's rather plain look in pictures, in the flesh it's bulk and vastness gives a reassurance of quality. Certainly if it was £ per ounce it's a good buy!!

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  17. secretagentmole

[​IMG]
    Yes that is on a 3 seater sofa, I called it Von Smallhausen!

18. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

That's a nice looking rifle :cool:

My o.c.d won't let me be at piece without a gas ram in my collection :D but I think I'll try and shoot at least one before I purchase :)

19. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Theoben did a Hw90 TB they used to advertise in the mags.

Now that was a looker.

My mate had the standard version when I was in my teens, and we once went out shooting squirrels on one of my permissions, it was as heavy as my TX Iirc, anyway he had bought it secondhand and it had obviously been pumped up, anyway I knocked a squirrel out of this drey for it to go around his side of the Tree, he lined up the shot and pulled the trigger, the gun made a weird sound and seized up totally, like the ram leaked all its guts out.

Never did find out what he did with the gun, but as for best gasram, for me personally not in a million years, Fenman sirocco,Taunus, SLr88, the best gasrams ever inmo.

But If the Hw90 is still being produced, its more than likey the best still available simply because HW make it, but a tuned HW80 makes more sense to me (or a 95)

20. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I like my slr98 firing cycle, not sure if it's been tampered with by Mr Ben but it's all nice apart from the OKAY trigger