1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Hw80 replacement spring

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by dr.tigger, Aug 22, 2014.

1. dr.tigger

dr.tigger Well-Known Member

I've been offered an old 80 with a heavily worn spring. Can anyone advise me on a new one. Titan recommend a no 12 but I've heard people having problems with them.

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

You need to cut the no 12 down,people seem to think that Titans are a direct drop in replacement but they aren't.

3. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

i got the titan xs no2 for my 80, quick chop flatten and polish and its running a lovely smooth 10.9, i took 5 coils off, but always chrono it to make sure its under.

i found it to shoot very well at 10.9 with a tbm kit off ebay or on here and i cut a section of can out polished it with alusol and wrapped the piston and spring, and gives a dull thud with very little recoil for about £42.

mine was deffo the no2 spring though

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

also if it needs a reblue ive just tried the balistol cold blue and found it better than the birchwood casey superblue. very easy to do at home and you end up with a like new blue with better internals for very little money

5. 177

177 Donator

Titan number 2 is the HW80 drop in mainspring, but as above, make sure you shorten it before dropping it in or you will find grunt effort increased, recoil will be nasty, noise will be horrible, shot cycle even worse, and power will be illegal.

Chrono is your friend...

Springers tend to run better around 10.5 FPE or thereabouts. Typically I rarely take mine significantly over 11, with 11.2 or 11.2 being the highest I aim for. My HW99s runs at 10.4 at the moment and that seems to be the sweetest spot for it in its current configuration. My HW95 slides along at 11.1 and my last HW80 was a joy to shoot at 10.9, but ti took a lot of work to get it shooting how I wanted it to.

Keeping an eye on power output is one small part of sorting out a springer - much more thought and effort is required to figure out a combination of shot cycle characteristics in conjunction with power.

Have fun with it :)

6. dr.tigger

Consensus seems to be no. 2 with a few coils off. Time to YouTube spring chopping.

7. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

i would not touch another titan. waste of money kiosks like a mule.

8. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

I only ever fit standard factory uk springs to hw80's anything else just seems a waste of time and money, even with next to no preload from the end cap they are always borderlining 12ftlb.

9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Cut with a rotary tool if you have one,a dremel with the cut off tool makes short work of it,afterwards,heat it up,flatten it then grind and polish it flat.

10. dr.tigger

How much do you need to heat it. Will a propane blow torch do it?

11. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Until it becomes soft enough to flatten down,torch should be capable.

12. dr.tigger

Fantastic. Thanks very much. A couple more questions.

Power bands and top hats. Do they work or is a polished spring/washer combo enough.

Same with a spring sleeve?

13. JD

JD Donator

A Titan No10 and a Tinbum spring guide set to fit should be all you need, you might find that you have enough room to fit a extra piston sleeve, ptfe, steel or one cut from a 6 pint mlk container.

Due to Titan springs being a powerful b****r, you can swap different spring sizes around more that people think.

14. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

i found the delrin drop in better as its a softer compound than metal, so absorbs rather than twanging and rattling away.

i think if you have a chrono, few simple tools, and even a b&q gas torch, jus he cannister one will suffice, home tuning is rewarding and gives you an insight into he workings

15. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

get the cut end a nice deep cherry red, use a scrap bit of wood to get i pressed flat and quench in a bit of oil, i used engine oil

16. Mrman

Mrman Donator

17. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Ballistol blue works awesome but will wear off as soon as you use it.

18. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

great, only done it last week. i havent had it out yet.