1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hw80 Not Cocking

Discussion in 'Technical' started by JimboM, Oct 12, 2019 at 5:01 PM.

1. JimboM

JimboM Member

I've had to strip my HW80 down to shorten the spring slightly but now that it's reassembled the thing refuses to cock.
    After much playing about I suspect the trigger assembly is at fault as when pressing the top lever down it doesn't latch and I have to 'help' it by pressing the back lever into place.

Has anyone come across this issue before Is it likely to be fixable or am I going to have to get a whole new assembly?

Thanks

walter Often likes this.
  2. walter Often

walter Often Posting Addict

I don't know the answer to your problem myself mate.......but I know someone who certainly will be able to advise you on these......and more.
    @shauny
    Best of luck.
    Walter :up:

JimboM likes this.
  3. sharpsman

sharpsman Posting Addict

it may be coil bound ie the spring is to long, look the the grove so you van see the spring as you cock it.

JimboM likes this.
  4. shauny

shauny Top Poster

have you adjusted the trigger sear ? it may have been adjusted tooo much

JimboM, Tyler durdon and walter Often like this.
  5. Shaunj

Shaunj Well-Known Member

When you put the trigger unit back in did you cock the trigger unit first, then release after?

JimboM likes this.
  6. JimboM

JimboM Member

I didn't play with the trigger assembly at all, just removed it and put back as was

I've tried assembling the rifle with the trigger cocked and uncocked but with the same issue ie to cock the trigger I have to push the rear lever into place so that it latches

Thanks

walter Often likes this.
  7. shauny

shauny Top Poster

poss knocked the little tab out of line,only take a wee knock

8. JimboM

JimboM Member

Sorry Shauny I'm no expert with these - where's the little tab?

Tyler durdon and walter Often like this.
  9. shauny

shauny Top Poster

there is a little dogleg tab on the corner of the unit, these are often the cause for guns not cocking,if they have taken a knock.

10. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

You could well have crushed the trigger housing slightly when putting the locating pins back in. This occurs if the holes aren't lined up when you put the pins in and stops the sears moving. I've had them sent to me for repair damaged like this.

Remove the trigger unit again and set the trigger and test it to ensure it works. Make sure you put a piece of 2mm metal rod through the hole at the top of the housing to restrict the movement of the upper sear, this prevents damage to the lower sear.

Look at the housing to see if there are any dents or pinching. With the trigger set (as it would be if the gun was cocked) hold the housing tight and see if the trigger won't break, gradually release it to see if it then works. Obviously if it's not working outside thebgun you immediately have your answer.

If you start there and come back with your findings I can then advise you further.

11. krugerandsmith

krugerandsmith Engaging Member

Usually find shortening the spring guide works

JimboM likes this.
  12. krugerandsmith

krugerandsmith Engaging Member

Or as Shauny rightly says you have to cock the trigger mechanism before refitting and then release it.

JimboM likes this.
  13. JimboM

JimboM Member

Finally managed to have another look at the gun tonight and it's two steps forwards one step back :)

As per Shauny's suggestion I bent the 'little tab' back a bit and the trigger cocked nicely!

Re-assembeled everything and the gun cocked but wouldn't fire - grrrrrrr

Stripped down and tried assembly again but without the safety installed and everything worked OK

Tried reassembly again with the safety and with the trigger cocked and gun cocked and fired :) However the safety then pinged out of the gun and I've now lost the spring :(

So where's the best place to get a new safety spring and are there any tricks to getting the safety installed correctly ??

Thanks

walter Often likes this.
  14. shauny

shauny Top Poster

a cheap biro from the pound shop

15. walter Often

Happy for ya Jimbo. Shauny is the main man for sure.:thumb:

JimboM likes this.
  16. walter Often

The legendary 'biro trick' is a tried and tested 'tool' that never fails. I have one to hand at all times when working on my springer. :):up:

Blackmax, JimboM and shauny like this.
  17. Scrinja

Scrinja Trust Me

Just to confuse the issue for you the tab that you bent holds the safety in also:rolleyes:
    They can be a real pain in the A$$ to get right Dude

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    Tyler durdon, Blackmax and JimboM like this.
  18. JimboM

JimboM Member

Great, can see this is going to be a trial of patience :) I'll source a biro tomorrow - probably from the wife's handbag!

Big thanks to everyone that's taken the time to reply :up:

Tyler durdon, shauny and walter Often like this.
  19. walter Often

Keep at it Jimbo. You'll get there mate. I was in the same boat as you a while back. Sat there scratching my head and falling asleep at the table with a pile of bits in front of me until 3am one Sunday!! I'm sorry I can't help you mate, I'm still learning it all myself. But you will find the answer on here for sure mate. Stick at it bud.
    All the best.
    Walter :up:

Tyler durdon and Blackmax like this.
  20. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

He's only shortnend the spring so not relevant.

Tyler durdon, walter Often and shauny like this.