1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

hw80 home tune

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by martin22, Feb 18, 2014.

1. martin22

martin22 Donator

i recently picked up a hw80k of a fellow forum member at a very reasonable price as a bit of a restoration project,ive paid quite a bit of money in the past paying to have rifles tuned but this time i thought sod it im going to have a go myself
    im going to attempt to give the rifle a full tune useing nothing more than basic home tools so thought id do a bit of a thread about it
    so far ive stripped the rifle and gave it all a thouragh degrease,this also includes the trigger unit and ive ive gave that a light oil,tonight ive concentrated on the spring/piston and this is where ive started taking pictures and i will update the thread as i go along,
    so heres the piston after removal
    1920090_10201792157309697_657911677_n.jpg
    to polish it up ive used nothing more than a hand held drill and 600 grit wet and dry,ive polished it up but not to a high mirror finish,just my personal preferance as i believe the grease needs something to key too,once id got a finish i was happy with i gave the piston a thouragh clean to remove all the metal particles
    1896735_10201792156269671_1669488523_n.jpg 1891091_10201792156229670_1568891761_n.jpg
    ive sourced a new spring and had a new ptfe top hat and delrin guide made,the top hat is a nice tight fit,the guide is a snug fit,ive been told the guide you should be able to hold it upside down and there should be enough resistance to hold the spring,with just a little shake the spring should slide off,the picture below is showing this (i know it looks like its stood on the table but it isnt),also ive put a 4mm ptfe washer in front of the top hat on fitting
    1780630_10201792156349673_1529352445_n.jpg
    next and as you can see in the picture above ive made a ptfe piston sleeve,the original metal sleeve will fit in so the cocking shoe can slide on this,and with the new spring theres enough room for the .5mm ptfe sleeve to snuggly fit it,sliding the spring in and out you can just feel a very slight resistance so theres no chance of the spring having any room too "twang" about when fired,will also be fitting new seals too
    1625652_10201792156189669_2103657335_n.jpg
    while doing this it got me thinking why not see if i can button the piston? after having a think about it ive decided to order some 6mm diametre ptfe solid rod http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221068309873?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    my plan is to drill the 4 holes out of the piston,useing a hand held tap and die kit i have in the shed im going to try and thread the 4 holes,then cut 4 say 1" pices of ptfe and thread the ends,then useing a drop of decent glue on the threads i can thread each into the holes,once its gone off i can use a craft knife the cut the inside flush,then trim the outers down somewhat,and then mounting the piston back in the drill i can rub the outers down untill i get a flush fit inside the cylinder,when fitted back together and being used the buttons will have the metal liner at the back and the cylinder at the front plus they will be screwed and glued so they cant go no where,
    hopefully if all goes well i will have a full tune cheap as chips useing nothing more than basic tools
    whats your thoughts so far folks? and i will update with progress pics as i go along :up:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. martin22

martin22 Donator

Just sat on my break at work and thinking,to go with 4 buttons or 3? The idea being to reduce friction surely 3 would be better but still enough to stop any vibration?

3. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

just to add confusion... mine has five:D

4. thisisdonald

thisisdonald Engaging Member

I dont know if the maccarri site still sells 'old school buttons'
    They just stick on... you could use the same method with your drill and a lower grade of wet n dry to remove some material in a ring around the outside of the piston, stick them on and the same method again to size them to fit.

Here you go
    http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251488/2365157.htm

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

A very enjoyable read im looking forward to the rest of your thread.
    I love tunning and refurbishment threads
    Atb
    David

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Top class work there Martin :up:

7. JD

JD Donator

Prey tell Martin, where the feck did you get the PTFE top hat from ?

It was only the other day, I was thinking about spring guides being made in this material.

8. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers mark id made my mind up on four this afternoon but now :rolleyes: i think my old 95 had 4 speeking of which i took that rifle back in a px the otherday,admittantly i put it straight back up for sale but im in 2 minds whether to keep it now,thinking about converting it to .177 and a few things on your 95 thread have have caught my interest :up:

many thanks i was considering them but ive allready ordered the 6mm ptfe rod now (which had been delivered when i got home from work) i fancy the challenge of having a go at making/fitting them :up:
    1489188_10201796317453698_460569521_n.jpg

thanks and agree i also enjoy reading the tuning/refurb threads,theres been a few good ones lately too so just thought id do a bit of one with the progress of this

many thanks fella

i had it made along with a load of various width ptfe washers as im still in limbo as to weather to convert my 95 to .177 yet,i cant see any reason why it wont be as good as delrin so just thought id give it a try :up:

9. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

martin, ptfe is quite soft and not as hard wearing as delrin. with the small surface area of buttons you may be better off with delrin which is much harder.
    ptfe seems to work well as a piston liner with all the extra surface area... just a heads up

10. martin22

martin22 Donator

thanks mark admittantly that was one thing that crossed my mind,ive just come back on to add pictures as ive just made the buttons,im more just experimenting/challenging myself at the min as to weather i can do it on a budget with basic home tools,i thought ptfe as it easy and cheap enough to get hold of and i had to have a new ptfe bush fitted in the rear arm of the jcb i drive at work which got me thinking whether it would be up to the job in an air rifle :rolleyes: (just hope the bush isnt meant as a sacrificial part)
    once fitted i will see how it goes and keep an eye on if it wears easy,if it does i will replace with delrin :up:
    heres the buttons so far,as said earlier i will drill and tap 4 holes in the piston then screw them in with a dab of glue on the threads,once set the inside will be cut flush and the outside will be cut down then finished with some very fine wet and dry untill a snug fit in the cylinder
    1794730_10201796532139065_838379661_n.jpg 1625595_10201796532099064_668753999_n.jpg

11. martin22

martin22 Donator

a bit more progress,cylinder marked out,centre punched,small pilot hole drilled,then holes drilled to correct diametre and polished again
    1780670_10201797030951535_2066948789_n.jpg 1964914_10201797030871533_1511694562_n.jpg 1780670_10201797030911534_1461786117_n.jpg 1513703_10201797030991536_658839347_n.jpg
    then the holes were threaded and ptfe screwed in with a blob of glue on the threads
    1899996_10201797030831532_769868019_n.jpg
    now im going to leave it half hour,have a cuppa and a fag then i will trim the buttons down

12. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

looking good so far mate and you can say you did it all yourself!

13. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Excellent,watching how this goes as I have a 35 and 80 to fettle.interested.com

14. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

a very interesting and informative thread,will follow it through to the end. :up:..

15. martin22

martin22 Donator

thanks fellas,a couple more pictures of progress
    ive trimmed the insides flush useing a long craft knife (the type you can snap segments off) i then used a half circle file to smooth flush,the metal piston liner will sit next to these so its important to make sure they are flush,personally i dont think it matters about the finish as nothing will be sliding on it.
    to trim the outside down ive used 2 dubili clips as a guide for the knife blade as they are roughly 1mm thick,this way there all cut to the same length so when i put the piston in the drill again they should wear down at the same rate (im hoping anyway :D)
    thats tomorrows job when i get home from work anyway as i dont want to rush it now ive got this far :up:
    1544300_10201797369119989_1960079725_n.jpg 75976_10201797369159990_1711803402_n.jpg 1964998_10201797369239992_1090250260_n.jpg

16. JD

JD Donator

Very good Martin.

Would you mind posting up, what sizes of tap and die you used. Thx

17. martin22

martin22 Donator

thanks and i used m6x1.0 and 5.6mm drill bit,i had to chamfaur the edge of the ptfe a little to get the die to take but i just made sure a put a good bit of thread on it so the chamfaur was well past the metal and trimmed off,to be fair i probably didnt need to use the glue as they were pretty solid when screwed in but with how thin the metal is just thought it wouldnt hurt

18. martin22

martin22 Donator

and there we have it 1 polished and buttoned piston,rubbed them down useing the drill again with a 1" strip of grit paper,ive no doubt the ptfe is up to the job as it took me ages to get them rubbed down from 1mm to the correct size for the barrel,i even ended up dropping down to 240grit then just touching them up with 600grit
    the buttons have rounded off lovely and left a nice smooth finsh,cant wait for the new seals to land now so can get it all back together and try it :up:
    1959768_10201802009555997_1335639954_n.jpg

19. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

outstanding mate!

20. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Top job ,what thickness spring sleeve you using.
    On alot of my home tunes I found ptfe sheet works better for me if the piston has no slots in.but if slotted I use tin.really impressed with the buttons.
    Interested to see how it shoots ,like I said previous I have never had a hw apart .if you get time could you explain the refit as I understand a trigger has to be set ? And what guides I've seen never detail this..
    What effect does buttoning have on power levels ?.