1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hw45 Muzzle Size-space-dimensions

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by GamoGat, Apr 4, 2020.

1. GamoGat

GamoGat Engaging Member

Happily looking at many choices of pistols with more poke than my SSP. The CP2 looks good but miss my old BSA 240 and HW45

Exploring how viable it is to fit a moderator/silencer to what i have, this looks like a barrel chop and i have found a ref and picture to a Compact being modded. The Compact/PR45 have a shallow recess of the barrel from the muzzle of the frame. Material is easy to tap.

Question is thus, the muzzle section of the HW45. What diameter is the hole ? and how deep before the crown of the barrel ?

I know the debate about waste of time, springer, too much mechanical noise etc etc.

I see a German supplier can supply ready. It appears to be a case of 11.5mm drill bit to prep for the 1/2" UNF tap the double ended UNF adapters are 20mm insert depth. This is outside of the taps i have, but not a great cost to get in.

So if anyones mega bored and happens to have an HW45 handy and means of measuring the depth and width of the stock frame muzzle..... :)

2. Reevo17

Reevo17 Pro Poster

I was just going to say SWS sell them ready done

3. shauny

shauny Top Poster

i made an adapter and mod for the one that i had,seem to remember the hole being tapered?

Attached Files:

The Robin, GamoGat and zippy1 like this.
  4. GamoGat

GamoGat Engaging Member

I did read an old thread about bonding in a tapered adaptor.

If the muzzle is less than 11.5mm diameter then the required drill bit to size for tapping would cut that taper out.

Nice photos :)

5. shauny

shauny Top Poster

i think if you drilled to tap ,as its tapered,you would drill into a void,so best with a tapered adapter.

GamoGat likes this.
  6. GamoGat

GamoGat Engaging Member

Yep, thats the site.
    Bit nervous about the "what ifs" what if it's held in shipping, what if the product goes wrong. From the pictures it looks like they are using the double end adaptor, i expect it wouldn't go down to well with Hull Cartridge in case of a warranty :)

The Trophy version with the CNC'ed 20mm rail into the top of the frame is a nice one too. Surprised after all these years it's not available direct from factory.

7. Reevo17

Reevo17 Pro Poster

Don’t worry about it mate - I’ve ordered loads from SWS

Only yesterday did my new full length 77 arrive - only ordered it Monday

Delivered to your door - no “unnecessary journey” TICK

Cheaper than UK and crappy Hull cartridge prices TICK

Plus is a springer so what can go wrong - a new seal or spring. Simple job to sort

No brainier if you ask me :)

8. Modski66

Modski66 Engaging Member

What would it be listed under? I can't find it on their site. :confused:

9. zippy1

zippy1 Donator

I designed/made a mod' for the HW45 in 1985. The muzzle was indeed tapered. I had to incorporate a step down flat in the top of the taper, then drill and tap the top of the slide, just behind the foresight to M3 or M4 for a grubscrew to lock it in place.
    The rear section of the can also need to have a scallop in each side, or the gun wont cock, with the mod coming to a stop on the front of the frame.
    Muzzle: 10.2mm . Point of taper: 7mm. Length of taper: 43.8mm.
    the taper was threaded at the can end to 10mm metric fine and screwed into the rear of the can. The mod was of the "Drop" type, where the hole is off centre towards the top of the can. If it was made central, it would stick up and obscure the sights.

Modski66, GamoGat and Reevo17 like this.
  10. Reevo17

Reevo17 Pro Poster

GamoGat and Modski66 like this.
  11. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

I ordered a 45 with mod from SWS, it had a threaded 1/2 unf adaptor glued on it. It only worked with the supplied big bore mod, which did nothing to quieten it down. When I tried an HW mod it was so far out of alignment that very little of the pellet made it out of the muzzle end. I returned it and swapped it for an HW95 match. If you are handy, I would do it yourself. If might just have had a Friday afternoon special, but I wouldn't bother again.
    Atb,
    Simon

GamoGat and Modski66 like this.
  12. Modski66

Modski66 Engaging Member

I measured mine a few weeks ago; it tapers to the real muzzle, which is about 40mm down the 'hole'. I can't remember the exact dimensions, but I think I have all the information at work. :facepalm:
    When I get in tomorrow I will dig it out and post it up. :thumb:
    Failing that I will get my vernier out and repeat the exercise... :D

GamoGat likes this.
  13. Modski66

Modski66 Engaging Member

The dimensions of the muzzle opening on my 45 are as follows:

Outer end of taper = 10mm dia.
    Inner end of taper = 7mm dia.
    Taper length = 46mm. (Excluding the stepped end protrusion of the barrel muzzle into the space).

This gives a derived taper angle of 1.87 degrees from the axis, (included angle of 3.74 degrees).

I am guessing that the person who defined the taper used gauge points rather than an angle – easier to inspect!

14. GamoGat

GamoGat Engaging Member

@Modski66 :thumb:

Nice technical answer there, didn't realise the barrel was set so far back.

The drill size is 11.5mm for the 1/2" UNF tap and to a depth of 20mm so that should be a doable. Just a case of checking final barrel alignment before attempting to shoot a pellet. So .177 would have more room for error than .22

I have found several old refs to 2 forum members that used to do the work years ago (they don't anymore) but never any details on diemensions or what they actually did or conflicitng info, some glue in hand made taper fittings others have a direct thread tapped into the muzzle.

:) curiosity satisfied, and chalking this up as doable.

15. Modski66

Modski66 Engaging Member

Just something else that has occurred to me with respect to your alignment comment.

Depending on how much clearance there is around the end of the barrel and its location into the 7mm part of the taper, the axis of the barrel may not be co-axial with the taper. The clamp pushes the barrel upwards, so any misalignment will also be in that direction - you may be able to compensate with some shimming, or engineer a solution that is adjustable to match the barrel axis rather than that of the taper. (Getting the barrel clamp screws out can be a challenge!).

The geometric axis of the barrel has no direct relationship to the axis of the taper, so carefully machining a solution based around the wide end of the taper may lead to complications.

Perhaps a design adjusting the barrel axis to suit the moderator may be the way to go?

16. GamoGat

GamoGat Engaging Member

That's just confirmed the other chatter about "alignment" in old threads.

The Compact being an overlever and similar barrel arrangement to the HW does also not sit dead center.
    Shall find a small diameter carbon tube and see how offset that is.

Things to do while bored with lockdown :)

Modski66 likes this.