1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Hw45 Black Star Paint Problem

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by DanP, Jan 14, 2021.

1. DanP

DanP Member

8C6BB07C-AABF-4D30-8088-988E914A78ED.jpeg Hi, my name is Dan and I’m new to the forum. Apologies if this has been discussed before. I recently purchased a new Weihrauch HW45 Black Star which I wiped a few times with a soft cloth and silicone gun oil and noticed that the black paint/finish started to wear and now looks patchy. Please have a look at the attached photo and let me know what you think. Is this normal or is it a manufacturing defect, bad paint...??

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  2. honkhonk

honkhonk Engaging Member

You'd be better off with a mineral oil. Silicone oil shouldn't be used on aluminum, i know it's painted but it doesn't do aluminum any good.

3. YepYep

YepYep Busy Member

I have a HW45, normal Model not the stars, but the action should be same as the Black Star.

The metal on the gun is Bluing treated, not any paint on it. I clean the gun with good 100% cotton old clothes. Usually no need to add anything on it but some times I will use wax. Never use oil as I don't like the greasy feeling on it. And don't think it needs oil inside and out.

I think your issue will be what's that residues on the surface and how to fix it...

4. YepYep

YepYep Busy Member

How can we tell it's painted or gun blued?

5. Clive Williams

Clive Williams Shooting airguns since 1983

Hi I had the same problem as yours with a standard hw45, I found the more I wiped it with silicone cloth more came off. I contacted hull cartridge who were not that helpful, I exchanged it at the gunshop under warranty the 2nd pistol was fine. I own a silver star and the finish on that is outstanding and the black top I have no issues with it, I would contact hull cartridge and get a replacement, I have heard of a few rouge hw45s with the finish coming off, thank you yep yep for the tip on Mineral oil I will use that tip from now on

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  6. honkhonk

honkhonk Engaging Member

You can't blue aluminum, only steel.

Gat Man and cloverleaf like this.
  7. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

I'm fairly sure that the HW45 is anodised, a form of electro plating. Anodised surfaces don't like silicon.

8. honkhonk

honkhonk Engaging Member

Mine is painted. I thought the cocking arm was anodised, but nope. Painted too.
    I tried Birchwood Casey aluminum black to darken it and it did nothing..

It's an older one without all the white writing, so new models may be different.

9. YepYep

YepYep Busy Member

:eek: I have been thinking it's all steel... Maybe I treat mine too well and have not at all any scratch yet for years and never discovered it's aluminum....

I use the below wax on my HW45 cleaning.

And use light moly paste on main spring. Then the white grease on elsewhere. Anyway, no oil at all on the gun...

For the 'oil's, use pellgunoil (30ND) on co2 capsule, tung oil on stock and olives oil when cooking~ [​IMG]

10. td_boy

td_boy Donator

Silicone gun oil has no place anywhere near metal airguns...
    Plastic airsoft ones Yes, but aluminium & steel No or you're just asking for problems.

JLB and Pugwash like this.
  11. Blister

Blister Busy Member

With a cloth I dab a bit of molly gun grease on mine buff it up and and wipe off any excess

12. YepYep

YepYep Busy Member

How about 'silicone air chamber oil'?

Read some manufacture ask us to put one drop or two every some hundreds / thousand shots into the breech hole to lube the main seal and spring....

Also a picture for the white grease I have been using... [​IMG][​IMG]

13. td_boy

td_boy Donator

Absolutely not, while in theory it might lubricate a synthetic seal, in reality it will migrate past the seal to the piston and spring and potentially blow past the breech seal into the breech joint or outer breech slide.
    When it gets there it's on metal to metal and silicone oil is brilliant at causing galling.
    Some say use it on the outside - why?... It contaminates paint, can again migrate places you don't want it and makes surfaces slippery to hold.

Use it on plastic joints, o rings, rubber etc - but only if you know its not going to travel onto any metal to metal surfaces.

The only time I'd put any oil into an air chamber would be extremely occasionally to keep leather seals supple.

Pugwash and YepYep like this.
  14. Pugwash

Pugwash Post apocalypse

I think it is anodised aluminium.
    I never put anything on the outside of my 45.
    Simply wipe it over with a clean dry cloth and maybe slightly dampen a corner of it to remove any marks and then a dry cloth. It is then stored in a Flambeau pistol case wrapped in a dry cloth.
    It still looks brand new.
    I really do not understand the fetish for covering everything with oil. It attracts dust and general crap which all sticks to it.
    (Blued steel maybe yes if you have it out in bad weather or keep it in a shed)
    I treat my TDR the same way and it too still looks like new and it is 15 years old.
    That said it is an AA so it was blued properly.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    YepYep and Yazz93 like this.
  15. marflow

marflow Busy Member

so did the factory paint these pistols, i would say no, did they anodize the pistols, i would say no to that also
    but i would guess they are powder coated
    bluing isn't going to help, aluminum black is garbage and isn't going to help
    so the finish as is, is a mess to be honest but it seem to be more then one layer, why is that
    take some rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth and see if you can even the color out

if this pistol was 30 years old it could have been painted but i don't think the Black Star has been around all that long

the white letters looks great, so how did the surface get damaged

email Weihrauch and add the pictures, they will answer you

hell i could be wrong but you are not going to repair the surface, without redoing it

just some opinions i do have a couple of HW45's and i will take a close look tomorrow

mike in the states

16. Pugwash

Pugwash Post apocalypse

It can’t be too old anyway as it has the white writing.
    Anodised, or as you say powder coated, and I think you could well be right, it doesn’t need silicon or oil on the outside in any shape or form.
    Any car bodyshop will tell you that silicon is a scourge and they will kill you for even saying the word in one. It is near impossible to get rid of.
    In fact a body shop suppliers might be a good place to start looking for a remedy.
    Many applications of spirit wipe maybe.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  17. Lukeypoodle

Lukeypoodle Engaging Member

Silicone oil is nasty stuff, that looks to me like it's just made a mess on top of the finish. Give it a rib with a non abrasive cloth and some fairly liquid and water and see if it removes it. If it looks flat once you're done rub some mineral oil into it and buff off with a microfibre.

If it does need refinishing it'll need a lot of prep, silicone oil and paint are not friends.

18. td_boy

td_boy Donator

Many years ago, I had a Rohm Trainer and that had a similar finish to the HW45.
    That also had some odd discolouration to the finish and despite cleaning with all kinds of cleaners and solvents I never really got rid of it completely.
    I put that down to some kind of silicone contamination by a previous owner, but I never really knew for certain what caused it.

19. DanP

DanP Member

Guys, many thanks for your replies. As I said the pistol was new, I bought it about two weeks ago and I only cleaned it with silicone oil two or three times, then I noticed something was wrong with the finish. The cloth I used got slightly black after cleaning which made me think the finish was paint. I can confirm 100% it’s not blued but can’t say for sure if it’s painted or powder coated.

Reading your replies it seems that I might have ruined the finish myself by using silicone oil. However, I can’t believe that Weihrauch, which is such a big name, make guns with a finish that can be so easily damaged, regardless of the finish. I think my gun is just a bad batch and I’m planning to return it.

Also if silicon oil is so bad to the finish, why the manual doesn’t tell us to avoid it?

20. marflow

marflow Busy Member

what else is in the product you used
    the coating on the 45 is unknown at this point but what is known is it did like what you put on it
    is it is powder coated, there are solvents that will eat right in to it
    i have been reading about PCing and haven't found the right answer but this talks about waxing the surface and it might be an option at this point
    5 Methods For Maintaining Powder Coated Surfaces (fabricatingandpowdercoating.com)
    you being able to remove color from the surface was your first clue
    but again an email to Weihrauch is my recommendation

if i find something more i will post and if it was anodized you could not hurt it
    it could be a sprayed on oven baked gun coating but again you don't which one

so i'm sorry that it happened
    mike in the states

i emailed Weihrauch myself