1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hw40 and pellgunoil.

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Critanime, May 21, 2015.

1. Critanime

Critanime Donator

So I was talking to a gent at my local RFD about maintaining my hw40. And he mentioned Pellgunoil. But wasn't very specific as to where to place it. So asking anyone who uses single stroke pneumatics if they can offer advice on maintenence of the piston.

2. bobbie1

bobbie1 Busy Member

A couple drops only about every 200 / 300 shots ,

3. peteswright

peteswright Engaging Member

Open barrel arm to expose piston (cock it). Two drops of oil on piston every 250 pellets. Smear round with little finger. Stand gun, muzzle up to let oil seep down to seal for a while. Occasionally just open barrel arm with gun again pointing up. Put a drop on breach hole and quickly pull arm up to suck oil into valve assembly. A drop on piston pivot point. That's it! When storing after use. Lift barrel arm till a click is heard (this sets the trigger so the valve seals are seated). Then close the gun. You can also dry fire at this point. ATB. Pete. Ps. These tips I got from NIck (magicniner).

4. Critanime

Critanime Donator

Thanks for the input guys. I want to look after this little beauty. It's already been a blast to use ;)

5. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Moderated user

I want to test a hw40 i hear loads of good things . . . . . But if u could only have one would u have the 40 or 45? . . . . . . The 75 not worth including lol

6. Critanime

Critanime Donator

The HW40 is great. My wife picked it up new for £100. However, if I had the choice and the money I would get a modern 45. Don't get me wrong I love my 40 but the 45 just feels a different beast. Also it has the variable power system in it.

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I opened a completely stock HW40 up a while ago, probably 2-3 year old and upwards of 3,000 pellets through it, there was still plenty of lubricant on the piston seal and everywhere else.

I thought pellgunoil was for placing on the top of co2 cartridges to stop the seals freezing and cracking.

8. Critanime

Critanime Donator

9. jcwit

jcwit Member

I use Pellgun oil on the moving joints of the piston arm and lever. For the piston itself I use white or red lithium grease. Apply every 3 to 5 hundred rounds.

10. peteswright

peteswright Engaging Member

I used to use lithium grease on the Beeman P17 as per the manual. I found it gunked up the cylinder internals with sludge and valve assembly. Horrible stuff. Then I got the HW40, and they say to use oil in the manual. Cleaned out the gunk from the P17's. Cleaned valve assembly, and have used oil ever since, every 250 pellets with no problems. I use magicnine ssp oil. Any excess oil gets blown through the air path, and lubes the valve seals, unlike grease which seems to sticky things up. ATB. Pete.

11. jcwit

jcwit Member

Being as grease is nothing more than oil with a soap added to make it firm it likely is the soap that is gunning things up. Mayhap I'll return to the old standby of synthic ATF fluid. After all ATF fluid was developed as a replacement for Sperm Whale oil which never gummed works up to start with.

12. Andy_Clap

Andy_Clap Member

I've found these post very useful, thanks. Got my HW40 a couple of weeks ago (£100 delivered from Germany with hard case, 500 pellets and a few card targets). Fantastic little gun, just what I need for indoor 9 meter target shooting.

13. Critanime

Critanime Donator

The 40 is a great little pistol. I have been hitting, although accuracy is debatable lol, at 15 metres. Stuff like metal fox, rat and bird targets.

14. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

Probably more to do with the user than the Gun ;)
    HW40's are pretty consistant.

15. Critanime

Critanime Donator

Very true ;) the pillock behind my pistol had a habit of shooting up and to the right.

16. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

Well adjust your sights then :p

Allthough if you consistently shoot up and right its probably due to your trigger pull.
    Nice gentle grip and slow trigger pull :)