1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

HW35E Action Prep

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by landymick, Sep 23, 2014.

1. landymick

landymick Very Active

The HW35 Export is a fine rifle as its lesser spec older brother the 35s & is a good platform for experimenting with different internals or simply improving as well as restoring.I have a 35 E here which is a project in progress,i do a bit to it when i can time permitting.
    The aim of this project is to get it up to around 10.5-11.00 ft/lb with hopefully a sweet firing cycle & low recoil which they are known for.This is .22 cal & when purchased it struggled to get 5 ft/lb,on stripping it was found to be fitted with a cut down OX.
    The leather piston seal is usuable but the inner fibre plug is chipped & split not good for max volume.

The plan is to rebuild as standard then compare with the synthetic with out changing the T.P or stroke.This has a 4mm T.P with the standard size barrel.
    The cylinder has been debured & reamed as there was a lot of scoring inside & out.The piston has had the usual polish & sharp edges removed.
    In the pics you can see the synthetic seal adapter which a mate made to try & keep the volume/stroke the same.
    Will post results some time & see what it may need next. View attachment 104015 View attachment 104016 View attachment 104017 View attachment 104018 View attachment 104019 View attachment 104020 View attachment 104021

2. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

The start of another great springer thread. Excellent

3. T 20

T 20 Busy Member

Hi Mick

I found a 4mm port and synthetic seal didn't make for a nice firing cycle. :(

Keep the update posts coming. :up:

All the best Mick

4. magnummike

magnummike Engaging Member

Will be watching this one with interest Mick as I have a few exports , 1 that needs a breach plug sealing not had chance to do it yet . Will you be doing this one as the power was quite low ATB Mike

5. landymick

landymick Very Active

Part of the reason to leave things alone at first is to establish if the breach plug is leaking as the power would suggest.So far i have not had this problem on any of my others so if it needs it i will give it a go.
    The large port & synthetic seal is not a good match but we will see performance difference if any high or low,from there i will then use a top hat & new guide with the new standard spring:if its crap then the T.P will be sleeved down to 3mm or 2.8 or which ever is best suited.
    As i say the first goal is to get the power up & take it from there.

6. T 20

T 20 Busy Member

IIRC Mick,

On the gun I had a breach seal problem with the power went down when I switched from Leather to Synthetic seal. :(

So I sized the synthetic seal and the power went down even more. :confused:

Thinking about it the seal groove tends to get bigger in volume when the seal is sized, in a good gun it's no big deal but on a HW35 with lost volume in the void you're just making the lost volume bigger so making the problem worse.

When I get round to doing something with my latest 35E I'll treat the breach with Loctite 271 before doing anything else.

All the best Mick

7. landymick

landymick Very Active

Mick that sounds right about more lost volume when sized,i won't be doing that then.I think i may get an improvement over the leather seal as the inner fibre plug is damaged.I might have to try a better leather one.
    Cheers

8. martin22

martin22 Donator

watching with interest mick :up:

9. landymick

landymick Very Active

So far tried two springs,a cut down HW80 used standard spring & a standard HW35s spring.
    The 80 spring when fitted showed collapsed coils so its knackered,it gave 390 FPS with 14 g.One for the bin.
    The 35 spring had 26 coils,it gave 400FPS to give 4.97 easy to cock & sweet to shoot as you would expect at that power.This spring was a used one out of one of my German power models with the F & pentagon.
    So my starting point is established ,next step a new standard spring & new square section spring,then new breach seal.

10. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

I may try a square spring some time after a clean up of edges.
    Bought lots of rifles with them fitted but removed them as none shot well however none were fitted along with tuning work just chucked in.
    Interested to see how it goes,some swear by them others hate them.
    I have found the genuine hw springs very nice though .

11. landymick

landymick Very Active

I prefer genuine springs generally,i had an ox in a 35s years ago & it was terrible it broke the tabs off the steal guide it was kicking them out sharpish though.

12. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

If you need a leather seal and inner plug I think I have one, pm me your address and I'll send it to you.

John

13. landymick

landymick Very Active

Will do,thanks a lot for the kind offer.

14. landymick

landymick Very Active

80 spring

The 35 is out again now its warmed up a bit in the garage.Just fitted another cut down 80 spring with 28 coils,it went in easy enough with just some moly grease applied.
    Testing it shot nice & smooth with hardly any recoil & easy to cock but i reckon not much increase in power.
    I will check output & update with a pic hopefully.Still got a new square section & new 35s spring to try then on with the seals,though this one may be the leaky plug problem like T20.

15. Gwyns94

Gwyns94 Active Member

I've tried sealing my breech with J B weld, best reading still only on just under 10lb/ft. and not grouping consistently. Think I'll have to try Loctite.
    My piston was caked with dried grease, took a bit of cleaning but is no way as clean as yours Landymick.
    Also the spring is a tight fit in the piston, and you can feel it scraping the sides as you cock it, new spring I think.
    And I'm on my 2nd home made leather seal, how tight should it be in the cylinder?
    Should the piston fall under its own weight when you hold cylinder vertically?

16. 1961nuffield

My HW 35 only makes about 5.7ft/lbs so one day I should really see about checking the breech for porosity!

John

17. landymick

landymick Very Active

Hello John,its a good to check for porosity if all the other components are fine.I have others with leather & synthetic seals that produce 11.5 with no problems.

18. 1961nuffield

The rifles really original and had never been apart, everything else is in great condition so I'm loathe to touch it!

John

19. landymick

landymick Very Active

Gwyns,try a new standard spring & check for burrs on your cylinder at the rear top about ten to two on a clock .Main thing with seal is a good fit not too tight & consistent pressure when moved fwd & aft with no tight spots,& not too dry.

20. landymick

landymick Very Active

John ,i see what you mean its very nice.If you don't need more power then leave it but even for plinking its a tad low & probably get lots of pellets bouncing back depending on your target & back stop.
    If your careful you could start with a new spring to see if any difference made before a full strip.:)