1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

HW35 E

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by engraver, Aug 13, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I have the above rifle in very good condition, bluing very nice, its got fixed sling studs, nice walnut stock, with a hogsback low cheekpiece.

Got new breach seel and shoots nice just maybe a little underpowered but smooth with no vibe, also has the ooensights fully in tact.

its a .22 with long barrel, like I say very cleen good condition, not a sight of rust or pitting, better bluing than some newer hws I would think.

I have no idea how old it is but I would say probably older than me, early 70s maybe, its one of the old classic hws anyway.

Can anyone kindly tell me what it is worth?

ATB Elliot.

2. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

You can date it from the serial number, see here half way down, which may help with a valuation.

Photos really are needed IMO. No safety, single sided, small chequering "goatee" in front of the trigger guard? etc. Somewhere in the £200-250 region, .177s fetch a moderate premium IME.

You can still buy a '35E (c.£280) but the oldies are probably better, higher quality stock blanks, more pronounced palm swell, better finish. The long barrel is period correct, the new ones use the standard 19" tube, more practical but not "right" for an export perhaps.

3. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks buddy big help Ill check serial number later.

4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

1979 mate the year I was born and the bluing is mint, Ive just done the stock today that's all it needed.

Will the piston seal be leather on this one then?

I didn't want to strip the internals to be fair as it shot pretty nice, and the spring looks as clean as the exterior it was just the trigger that needed working free that's all, should be mint when Im done.

So given the age what kind of money would it be worth?

5. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Mate strip her down you know you want to, they are piece of p**s to strip and built like tanks and a man with your capability will have no problems, no sash clamps required just be careful as you unscrew the last threads. 79 not sure if they had changed from leather then. Does it have the annoying clack when you cock it? Earlier ones did. One of the best looking spring guns in my opinion but I found them a biatch to get much above 10 fpe out of.

6. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

Should be. The serial number list compiled by Mick (T20) also indicates a number of changes by serial number.

843636 (1980) onwards: Synthetic piston seal, Transfer port reduced from 4.0mm > 2.8mm, and double sided safety. The original information is quoted by John Walter in The Airgun Book (3rd.ed), supported by Beeman. (Beeman had the HW35EB model, an Export using the standard 19" barrel, like the current 35 E).

Engraver yours should be a leather seal , check the TP size to confirm.

Converting to a synthetic seal was a popular "upgrade" back in the day, but a 4mm TP and synthetic seal is unlikely to result in a nice shooting gun like you mention IMO. Unsurprisingly they tend to be slammy.

Value? I'd have a go at £250 which is the top end I've seen them go for complete with open sights. Might be a little rich for a .22, but you never know and leaves some wiggle room.

7. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks to both of you yes it has a click as you cock it, yes single sided safety, yes the bigger transfer port, and yes it shoots low on power although Im waiting for a breach washer to confirm it.

I do not want to go synthetic as you say 18 wheeler it shoots nice as it is no vibe like the hw80/85/95.

Shame you cant get hold of the original leather ones isn't it?

8. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    I have a 1974 HW35 leathered washered in .22 just fitted a brand new piston and leather washer and a new cocking arm all new Weihrauch parts shoots like a new rifle it only cost me £100 , a mate of mine who also seems to amass 35,s has both a 35E and a chromed vixen both in .177 knowing what he paid and myself have paid ,value in the range of £175/80 for a .22 as its the .177 that are more valued as it was .22 that where sold in greater numbers.good luck in your sale if you decide to sell.As a thought I would strip just to check the state of the washer might just need a soak in Neetsfoot fluid just to soften it , have come across 35E which when you check the serial no ,s where just a 35 with a stock change maybe due to a cracked stock or something and never a E in the first place

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  9. landymick

landymick Very Active

One of my Exports has the large TP in .22 & is only doing about 6 ft/lb.Its leather seal is fine for age but the inner washer is cracked.The spring is a cut down square section which is not going back in.

10. magnummike

magnummike Engaging Member

Ive got a 35e with a 19 inch barrel and thought it was a standard 35 with an E stock fitted as Dave above say's . Looking in an old Airgun World you could order a 35e with the 19" barrel and you could order a standard 35 with the 22" barrel :confused: at added cost , I'm sure when I bought a 35E back in 1979 that it had 35E stamped on the barrel block but have seen Exports with the normal 22" barrel with just the HW35 stamp

11. landymick

landymick Very Active

Still looking for a breach that says 35E mine don't but seem to think my mate had one with it on.Exports were available in 19" & 22" as you say,i have a 1969 35 Standard with 22" barrel all original matching numbers on barrel breach & block.

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

So how do I make sure mine is an original E model?

It doesnt say E on the block but I can clearly see the stamping or engraving in the block is older than any other hw ive seen before.

Im pretty sure this is an orginal gun although its up to you guys to decide ill put some pics up of the block later.

13. landymick

landymick Very Active

I think it will be an Export most likely, very few people had a 35s with 22" barrel & then added an expensive Walnut stock after.The only sure way is Herman & see how it left the factory.

14. magnummike

magnummike Engaging Member

Hi Mick also got a 1979 Vixen with an E stock fitted and a 19" barrel but when I got it to bits the chrome internals were gone and there was a piston with a synthetic seal in it . Have changed the piston back to leather seal as supplied by my pal Davymole and new breach seal and Welsh Willy kit and only doing 8ftlbs :confused: the TP size is 3.6mm think there may be a few mongrels about ATB mike

15. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

This is my gun Im just finishing the stock at the moment, [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think, didnt only the exports have factory fitted sling swivels?

16. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

Looks nice.

The HW35 L (de Luxe/Luxus) also had sling swivels fitted and walnut stock, but lacked the pistol grip cap and more finely formed cheekpiece. Weihrauch used the best figured blanks for the E and the remainder for the L supposedly. Hopefully you see some nice figuring when the first coat of oil goes on.

17. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

ill post some more pics later the stocks nearly done, its not bad a lot nicer than it was anyway.

I haven't chronoed it yet but I supect it will be down, as the breach seal was disintegrating.

Im just wondering if I can still buy a leather piston seal for it?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  18. welshwilly

welshwilly Engaging Member

I have had a couple of older HW35's in for re-springing / service, they both had the leather seal fitted, the owner on one wanted a synthetic 30mm piston seal fitted, I did the business new adapter new seal and the firing cycle changed completely, the power was very low and it didnt feel good, it was originally doing 8.4 ft lbs with the leather seal in place and old bent spring, I made a WW kit, fitted the new seal and the power was below 7ft lbs WTF ?? stripped it down changed spring same power output, I replaced the synthetic seal for the old leather ( it was in good cond tbh) and the power shot up to 10.70 ft lbs..

If you have an old leather seal and it looks good & performs good leave it where it is, just lube it up slightly, change the spring or add a kit if more power is needed. the Old HW35's do like the leather seals.

Will.

19. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Ive just put it all back together, shes a lovely old girl.

New breach seal in, and a few shots over the chrono, 10.7 to 11.0 no doubt it has the leather washer in, as its shoots so sweet I fully expected to see about 7 ft/ibs, no vibe whatsoever, im really pleased with it.

I thought I would chrono it before stripping it as I really thought it was down and expected to have to strip out everything, but when they shoot this nice it really is pointless, don't think it could be improved on with any kit, so there she is a 1979 unmolested classic, Ill probably take it out tonight and try for a bunny or two, it will be a great nostalgia trip.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just don't know what to ask for it now? any ideas guys?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  20. landymick

landymick Very Active

Power is where you want it plenty enough for .22,looking well i would say it was a 35E it has all the things it should have.