1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice HW100 Tuning & reg set up

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tatts, May 28, 2015.

1. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Bought a HW100 the other day and luckily I ordered a reg gauge before I even picked the gun up and it turns out that I need it..... When the gun drops to 120bar the shot spread is 9.7 to 11.8 over 6 six shots, I only got 40 shots from a full charge (full length cylinder). The AT has been removed and to keep it legal the adjustment is just about falling out of the back.
    Set about stripping it down and found score marks on the reg adjuster, removed the washers and they're full of grease (I struggled getting the last couple out) :confused: Surely these should be oiled? do I need special oil or can I use abbey gun oil?
    I will report back when I get the gauge on and see what it is set at :up:

2. Deak

Deak Donator

Hope you get it sorted mate

3. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

I had decided I was going to do this even if I bought a new one so it will only give more satisfaction IF I sort it out :up:

4. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Hi, the Bellville washers need to be cleaned, then just a very light coating of thin oil, sewing machine or hair clipper oil will be ideal but, a very light coat is all that's needed.

If the gun is a .22 set the reg to 90 BAR, if it's a .177 set it to 95 BAR. Then it's a matter of adjusting the hammer tension, re-assembling and testing over a chrono.

You may have to adjust and test numerous times to get the ballance right. You need to get the power at your prefered output, then test the gun over a full charge of air. once you get it right, you'll have an extremely consistent rifle, both in power and shot count.

If you don't test over a full charge, you'll almost certainly end up with a very erratic gun.

The set up is very painstaking but, well worth the effort once achieved. I set up my HW100's properly, a long time ago, they've never missed a beat since ;)

5. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Damn thing keeps leaking through the barrel ... damn valve :(

6. bigtoe

bigtoe Donator

105bar .177 and 100bar .22 is better, especially on the K, for the rifle 100 and 95bar (.177/.22)

7. busanga

busanga Busy Member

Where did you buy your reg tester

8. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Were is the best place to get a 12x1 o-ring for the valve tomorrow (not online)? I got sent one with the gauge but the damned thing wont stop leaking :mad:

9. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

ebay for £20 though I suspect you could make one for half that :up:

10. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

I guess some are different but, on my own and others i've set up, 90 and 95 BAR seem the best in my experience but, the hammer tension will play a big part. It all depends on the power output and shot count.

You could have lower hammer tension and higher reg, or vice versa, it's all about finding what's best for you.

Mine run at around 11.40ft/lb with a respectable shot count, and very consistent ;)

11. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

I used a thin film copperslip to lubricate the spring washers as it prevents binding when the washers are compressed, I have not tried a range a lubricants on this part so cannot comment, but get very good consistancy.
    If your consistency drops off after 120 bar I would suspect this is where your regulator is set. I tried using a high regulator pressure for the quick valve opening/more shots per fill theory but found I needed so much hammer spring tension that the force of the hammer (2 ounces weight maybe) hitting the firing valve before the pellet left the barrel affected POI.
    As mentioned above, chrono your gun through the fill range, if you notice a power spike, note down the air cylinder pressure as this is where the action is most efficient regarding internal air flow, and then set the regulator to this pressure. Then set the hammer spring to obtain your required power level. I try to use the minimum regulator pressure and minimum hammer spring tension for maximum consistancy, shot count and smoothness of the firing cycle.
    If air is leaking through the barrel you may need to lap in the firing valve/seat to get a perfect seal.
    These HW's shoot better after a good tune.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  12. Stokie99

Stokie99 Busy Member

Slacken off the barrel screw its pushing the valve block and making it leak.

13. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Lower reg pressure 85-90 bar in .22, 90-95 bar in .177 and Karbine 100 bar .177 Katbine with a longer softer hammer spring, kits are available on the bay.

When removing the barrel and replacing the factory 12 x 1.2 seal with a 12 x 1 fix the receiver block in place first before securing the barrel or you'll get air leaks.

Seals from here, good quality Nitrile - http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Seals-O+Ring+Seals-NITRILE+O-Rings/c19_4501_4705/index.html

14. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Tried that. I've removed the barrel and fitted the valve block a few times and it won't seal but both o-rings I have feel slack.

I've heard about the lapping but could do with more info on which parts?

15. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

Have a web search for -

POKs HW100 tweaks on the HW/Weirauch owners club site
    Hw100tuning site for fitting guides
    HW100 regulator on "images"
    Chambers site for the exploded diagram of the HW100

Most of the info you need is here from people who know their stuff.

16. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

I printed out POk's guide and that's what I'm following. The gun wasn't leaking before I stripped so it shouldn't be the valve, I've ordered two lots of o rings so hopefully one will get here tomorrow. Failing that I'll just buy a new valve and seat :)

17. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

New seal arrived today and the leak has stopped :D

Most people are saying 90 to 95 bar so I'm going to start with 90 and see :up:

18. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Progress is looking good before testing.

The nut before removing was at 12 o'clock, it's now at roughly 4 o'clock so my assumption of 120bar doesn't look unlikely.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

The reg washers were also coked in grease, it felt like they were all glued together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the youtube video, his gauge takes forever to reload but this seems near instant (not sure if it's the gauge)
    [​IMG]

Now to start the testing :up:

19. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Filled to 190 bar, cycled 2 mags & 2 dries (30) now just over 160bar. Next 4 mags (down to 120bar):

string1 string2 string3 string4

776 776 780 776
    776 778 778 784
    782 778 786 784
    779 776 785 776
    779 778 781 773
    775 776 782 782
    777 777 782 779
    782 774 781 786
    776 779 781 782
    781 777 783 790
    775 792 787 786
    774 779 779 779
    777 776 779 782

What sort of fps spread should I be looking for? My main aim was shot count and so far it looks very good. All pellets are straight from the tin so I'm guessing this is why I have 2 shots hitting 790fps?

190bar to 90bar was 122 shots, the reg went off 5 shots later. So I've gone from a total of 40 to 50 shots from a 200 bar charge to approx 140, what a good result.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  20. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Well done mate, looks like you have it spot on!