1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Hw100 s 177 overpowered from the box

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hunter 001, May 11, 2012.

1. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

Bought above rifle brand new from Essex Air GunCenter. This is my first HW100 I own s410 177 and was happy with it but readingfew posts on this forum convinced me to buy HW100. And what I can say. Gunarrived in a week and looks and handle very good, slightly heavy especiallywith Hawke sidewinder tact. Scope but was fine. Gun arrived with test certificate showed average power of 11.5 and maximum power of 11.6 with AA 177.However when I have choron it was doing an average of 11.9 with at least threeshots of every magazine reaching 12.1 to 12.3. I have tried air arms, JSBexacts and RWS superfied and got similar results will all of them. I couldn’tbelieve my Chombro so I took the gum to local Gunsmith and test confirm aboveresults but surprisingly gunsmith told me no need to return gun as it is justslightly above limit, he said he will be worried if it will reach 13ft lb. Ihave three sleepless night then I have decided to return gun. I have called AGCand they said this is not possible, as they have tested gun before sending it.But I told them I couldn’t keep gun and they have to sort it out and they saidno problem send it back for retesting.

I send gun back using parcel force and this will compensateme only for £99 if parcel lost. Gun now arrived safely to AGC and as expected theirown test confirm that it was over powered and they have send it back to HullCartridge to sort it out.

I am surprise that gun was overpowered out from thebox. I read before that power may creep after hundreds of pellets but this gunwas overpowered with my first pellet

2. milek

milek Honorary Member

Couple of worying things here. They said they tested it prior to shipping and now it's over? They may not have been thorough.

Parcelforce sending guns? I thought it was outside of their regulations. If you want to ensure full coverage (insurance) then only RMSD should be used.

Pity that your first experience with the HW100 is not more positive.

3. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

It seems every hw100 that comes out of the factory is chronoed at 11.5 :rolleyes:
    do they actually do the test or just issue a cert for the rifle anyway ??
    surely they should cover postage ?
    Good luck with getting it sorted and don't be put off as they're fantastic guns

4. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

Thanks for reply. I used Parcel force because I have noticed that AGC used it when they have send the gum to local gunsmith for me to pick it up so I thought they will be the best way to send gun. test certificate whihc was in the box Issued by AGC showing power of total of 10 shots but to be honest I don't know how it was doing only 11.6 and when I have tested it it was doing 11-9-12.3. once I got my gun back I will speak to AGC re postage refund.

5. andy draper

andy draper Post Whore

frighteningly in all this your gunsmith said not to worry :eek: tell that to the judge.

6. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

I'm with Andy, I would have gone ballistic if my gunsmith told me not to worry if it's only a little bit over.

7. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

he is actully senior man with long experience. he sid the gun is a brandnew, made in uk and was sold to you with test certificate in balck and whiteand it is not your resposibility to test rifle power. he said this gun isantitemper and this protect you andproof that you it wasn’t you who change power. He also sold me gunbag sayingdon’t you need nice bag for this expensive rifle and scope

8. megga

megga Busy Member

Sale of goods act!!! Every esablishment can make a mistake, and they sould not be judged on that but how they sort it out. I would expect them to have aranged a pick up. Ifthey dont play ball, get your money back.

9. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

Means jack **** when you're found with a rifle with power over 12ftlbs mate, it wont be him thats sharing his cell with a potential husband. It's like an MOT. the gun is only "11.5" at the time of the test. So is only guarenteed at the time of the test. You did right sending it back. That man seems to know jack shizzle when it comes to things like this! Also it's your decision about what gunbag you get.

10. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

I bought gun from AGC after reading positive feedback about them. They also offer free life time warranty as long as you remain the owner. But seems I used the warranty before using the gun.

11. DougR

DougR Busy Member

This raises yet more questions.
    When did Weihrauch start making guns in the UK?
    Are Weihrauch fitting anti-tamper? - and if so why?

12. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

I think what he meant it is not an import but Hull Cartridge
    gun. But good point who fitted antitemper?

13. amaser1

amaser1 Donator

I like the airgun centre, but have to say I have a feeling they didn't chrono it. It seems highly unlikely that there would be so much variation. Unless their chrono is broken or they rushed. Also I think the gunshop owner was right in saying don't worry. He means don't panic and give yourself a stomach ulcer, get it sorted but don't stress yourself silly. That's the impression I got from reading this thread.

14. andy draper

andy draper Post Whore

by rights the gunsmith should have kept the rifle,it is in the fac catagority even at 12.1 fp,as for the no need to return it why in hell not,if the police use their crono and "assorted"pellets who knows what it will produce,as the gun beds in and hits the sweet spot it could well be 13 fp.Sounds like a totally irisponcable gunshop owner who should seriously consider his attitude to the gun laws.The importer/supplier should also seriously improve their act as an innocent customer could now have a criminal record.
    rant over.
    andy.

15. One Ball 1971

One Ball 1971 Active Member

Thats what i was going to say! Sending him on his way knowing he has an overpowered rifle :eek:

16. billtr96sn

billtr96sn Member

Is there a percentage of allowance for a chrono being 'out'? I have seen a advert for one being sold in the £40 region and that gives you details of how to adjust your chrono to zero, so if all these other chrono's are,say,10% out then that would account for the differences.

Just saying as I dont have a clue.

17. Steve K

Steve K Post Whore

This is another example of why the whole AT thing is a load of bo**ocks, a better solution would be to abolish AT, and make owning a chrono law for every air gun owner.
    That way, the owner would have the option of adjusting the gun, or asking somebody else to, but at least the owner would then know what is going on with their guns.

I've removed most of the AT's from all of my guns that are out of warranty, and set them up properly, but tbh once set up right, i have very little need to do any adjusting ;)

18. Egg

Egg Major Poster

3 years ago I had an HW100k that was running hot but, as I'd bought it 2nd hand, it was not covered by Hull Cartridge's warranty. It was pre-AT. I contacted HC and they arranged collection by Parcelforce, serviced it, set it to 11.4 with H&N FTT (at my request) and sent it back a week later, again via Parcelforce. The whole affair cost me £40 or so to get fixed, £20 or so to cover the cost of Parcelforce.

AGC should have arranged the courier to have the gun returned - no bones about it - because it's running at FAC levels so you toting that rifle about was, as has been pointed out, illegal. As it stands you placed a firearm in the hands of Parcelforce - and I assume you don't have a contract with them stipulating that on occasion you'd be despatching air rifles? - which is against their normal T&C of carriage unless you posted the rifle at a Post Office where Royal Mail are licensed to carry air rifles so they'd be using Parcelforce as their agent.

Not good practice from AGC in my opinion.

19. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Think everythings been said except one thing.

Your gun smith is talking **** it IS your responsibility to ensure your gun is bellow the limit.