1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Hw100 Expensive taste!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Ronnieman, May 11, 2012.

1. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

So i decided to see how many of the thousands of brands of pellets are actually accurate in my rifle... I had my suspicions most would be pretty good as the rifle is such good quality! Oh how wrong i was! :eek:

Brands Tested (.177): Accupell, RWS superdome, Daystate Range master, JSB Exact, Air Arms Field, Bisley magnum, Webley Special Waisted pellets (really old school) Oh and some thunder bolt things(no tin just a sample bag from SteveB!) Not thousands really but enough to Start eh!:rolleyes:

All tested at a measured distance of 40 yards Shooting from a bag (prone) All the pellets were tested in one sitting as to keep as much consistency as possible with the conditions.

Set up :
    Hw100 KT 11.6 ft/lb
    Hw Silencer
    Hawke Sidewinder 3-12 x 50 scope on bisley mounts
    Caldwell Dead shot Bag (2 piece) Oh and a black and decker work bench!:cool:

So i set up my target board with 2 sheets of A4 paper (pinned up) Portrait one under another, then marked each with a very small line in pen to aim at.
    Top sheet would be the one i fired 5 shots at to get a group, the bottom was there for a test before each string of five so i had some idea of where the pellets would go relative to the aim point. (6 pellets for each brand)
    In the interests of fairness and accuracy i gave each shot 1/2 a mill dot holdover as my scope was zeroed at 32 yards (unessasarry for most really but some of the heavier pellets required it like i say to keep i fair i did the same with all).
    And all would have a 5p piece held over them for scale measurement!

They were scored by how many of the string of five would not be covered by the 5p when it was placed over them.

So the results...(pics to follow):
    Accupell - 3
    RWS superdomes - 2
    Daystate Rangemaster(not Li) - 1
    JSB exact - 0
    Air Arms field Diablo - 0 (all 5 same hole)
    Bisley magnum - 0 (all 5 same hole)
    Webley Special Waist(of time) - 4
    Thunderbolt - 2

As i only really hunt with my rifle, if when i'm shooting prone at 40yrds off a bag! i cant hit a 5p 5 times in 5 shots they're no good to me!

So as you can see only 3 of the brands are actually any good in my rifle and as i said before i thought that a rifle in this price range would be less fussy! but hey i guess it dont matter as long as you know what works... it just so happens that mine only likes the 3 most expensive brands lol Bugger!:rolleyes:
    I always knew beloved Bisley magnums were the best, i mean they are just in a different league to everything else(IN MY RIFLE:up:) but its nice to know for sure!

As i side note i have thought before that JSB exact, AA field and Daystate Range all look exactly the same if you take them out of the tin and looking at the results tells a similar story and backs up my thoughts that my rifle is quite fussy!!:eek:.. opinions please?

Just my findings (sorry about all the brackets i can't stop!):D

Cheers :up::up::up::up::up:

2. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Good write up mate, mine is the same apart from JSB Exacts are ok ish. I run AA Field through mine spot on, H+N is also another which are good. Not had a go with the Biz mags yet but more than happy with the AA Field

3. villaman

villaman Banned

Hi
    We find Daystate heavies 10.3 gr are very good through HW100Kt

4. maxiboy

maxiboy Engaging Member

nice right up.. i wonder if because the air arms have a softer skirt than the Jsb,s they perform better in some rifles..

5. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

When I had my HW the crossman premier ultras were excellent through it, so I just stuck with them
    cracking write up by the way !!

6. andy draper

andy draper Post Whore

Suppose you would't put aldi 5w40 oil in a ferrari same with this,i totally agree with you though how the hell do they engineer things so precisely that a piece of lead fractions of a mil and grain different act totally differently.
    andy.

7. The Dark Defender

The Dark Defender Well-Known Member

maybe you should try the crossman premier ultras my hw95k loves these if i put anything else in the accuracy goes to pants. I guess its just a weihrauch thing. lol.

8. Ronnieman

I think the crossman prems are the same pellet as accupells ent they?

Bis mags are far and away my first choice pellet though... Hit like a .20 in .177 perfect for rabbits squirrels!
    Only problem I have found is that they are so much heavier than anything else, you have to re-zero if you want to swap to something like an AA field or you have to use loads of hold under at 30yrds which is a faff!
    So I use them for nearly everything now! (unless specifically going for avian quarry)

9. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

they are a bit too heavy for a spring gun mate in 177, try RWS super field, HN FTT or JSB exact. Funny thing is in 22 the cross man ultra mag is fine for Spring guns weighing approx 14.5 grains

10. Ronnieman

What's the difference between RWS super field & dome?

11. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

super fields are a little heavier and very similar to the JSB pellets in shape and weight. The super fields do not have the striations in the tail that the super domes have. Superfeilds also very good in the HW100 and cheap - I got x 10 tins for £50

12. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Crosman Prem don't run that well in mine in .177

13. Ronnieman

I'll have to try and find some superfields then!!!!!!!!!

What they like in yours robin?

14. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

superfields

I ll bring you some next friday!

15. Ronnieman

Ok mate that's very kind of you!

16. Mad Marine

Mad Marine Banned

I knew those AA field diablo's were excellent (use em myself) those hunters diablo's are less IMHO less accurate but bit better penatrations.
    Just my 2 cents

17. Jambo1uk

Jambo1uk Well-Known Member

My 850 loves Crosman premier and aa fields so far need to try and find a cheaper pellet bit of a pain in the neck

18. guyver

guyver Busy Member

well i use bulldog brand in my air rifle and get good results so its what works best with your air rifle you could have two of the same air rifles and get very different results with the same brand of pellets this is mainly due to the very tiny imperfections in the rifling and the steel the barrels made of.

19. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I had a similar problem with a theoben barrel, I lapped it in and the the groups with superdomes really tightened up.

[​IMG]

John

20. Ronnieman

Lapped it in???