1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

HW100 Chrono results.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by kermitboy1, Aug 31, 2014.

1. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

Last night I decided to run my .177 Hw100 over the chrono, just to see where we are on fps and ft/lb. I was using Bisley Magnums which I weighed individually before shooting. They were averaging 10.3 grn.

Ten shots gave me an average of 697.2 fps which after doing the maths produced a figure of 11.01 ft/lbs.

That then made me think, why is the gun set so far away from the legal 12 at point of build by HW, when even putting a relatively heavy pellet through her, still results in nearly 1 ft/lb of safety zone from that all important limit. . only knows what the figure would have been using a much lighter pellet. KB1

2. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Pro Poster

Try a lighter pellet mate. Mine does 10.8 with heavys and 11.3 with jsb 4.53.

I made a thread a few years ago when i had an s410 that done a similar thing, and lots of people replied saying over the years they had experianced similar things. I think it was xtx who commented saying to try a certain weight and head size and i would be very supprised.

3. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

Omg, I don't believe this. You are joking me. I have always been of the opinion that weight is the factor behind ft/lb. I give up.

She shoots so lovely on the Bis mags, I would be arsed if I lost the kind of groups that I am getting. Just wanted to make a point. But now I am confused.

HELP. KB1:confused:

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

It's a very broad statement to say heavy pellets produce higher powers,pellet shape,lead hardness and head size will all have effect on power

5. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

That earlier reply has got me thinking now, I want to experiment. ???????????????????????? KB1

6. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

With all the variables involved it still amazes me sometimes that we can achieve the levels of consistance and accuracy that we do generally.

Every barrel is still different along with all the trends that we find ;)

7. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Same in my ultra mate, jsb express push more power than the heavier jsb and aa field:)

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

Typically the weight / energy relationship holds true in PCPs, however it's not absolutely definitive. Firstly as Matty says there are other factors at play - softer pellets (i.e. JSBs) tend to produce more energy as the softer lead seals better and generates less friction. I'm yet to find a PCP rifle that doesn't give more energy with 10.34gn JSB Exact Heavies than it does with 10.6gn Bisley magnums.

Bizarrely; while the muzzle energy of pretty much all my PCPs increases with growing pellet mass (certainly when testing with JSBs, and until the mass gets silly) my HW100 actually gives more energy with 8.44gn JSBs than it does with any other mass (either heavier or lighter) of JSB pellet.

My advice would be to get your hands on a tin of 7.9gn JSB Exact Express / AA Express, 8.44gn JSB Exact / AA Field and 10.34gn JSB Exact Heavy / Daystate FT Heavy; and get testing ;)

In other news I will eventually be posting a guide to setting up one's HW100 - however as usual it's taking forever to write and currently stands at about 4500 words - so don't hold your breath :p

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

4500 words is small by your standards :p

Have you done any guides on the S4xx setting up Mike?

10. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

lol - probably :p

I haven't written a guide for the S400 I'm afraid - the problem is that I tend to get "caught out" by the rules on most forums regarding muzzle energy adjustment so if intended to be forum published it's a bit of a non-starter. I've actually considered writing a book on all things S400 - the problem being that time and motivation comes and goes, along with the ability to test, take photos etc..

The HW100 guide was only supposed to be a quick and dirty 1000 words or so following my own experiences of setting one up; as usual though it's got out of hand and dragged on... will try and get a bit more done later today if I can as I really want it out of the way now.

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

If it shoots consistently and knocks the quarry down well, who cares if it's just breaking the 11fpe mark? 12fpe isn't a level you have to hit, it's just a maximum.

I had a BSA Lightning (stop laughing at the back!) that I used to shoot magpies at about 35 yards, rats around the farm, bunnies and squirrels at 30-odd yards; I shot it for over a year before I managed to chrono it and the result surprised me... 9.7fpe!

12. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I won't lie,I stopped reading after Lightning :p

I can't tell the difference between mid 10/low 11 or high 11,if a gun is doing 10.5 or more,I'm happy with that,for springers I don't try to push them as I believe they fire a lot smoother running at lower power levels than they do when they are close to the limit.

KB-I have 100s or so JSB Express if you want some mailing to you,let me know :)

13. themadspread

themadspread Donator

if tried to write that many id be dead before i finished it

14. Damon

Damon Posting Addict

Try JSB Exact Express I've a .22 BSA R10 and Bisley Mags run around 1 1.1 ft lbs JSB Exact however are 11.8ftlbs. Best pellet I've found to date and incredibly accurate

15. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

That's really kind of you to offer, but like another member has already pointed out, if it does the job, why try to change things. I love this rifle to bits and the accuracy is so good that I would genuinely feel gutted were any of that to change through me messing up the maths.

The point of the thread, was just the general surprise at the ft/lbs not being closer to twelve than I thought it would be, what with pellet weights and everything all being considered. It must be quite difficult for various companies that produce 'pcp's to know exactly where to set their rifles so as to meet a satisfactory standard without going the wrong side of legal. KB1

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

11.1fpe is, after all, 92.5% of 12fpe...

17. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 bell target champion

there was actually a write up few years back on the other forum that 10ftlbs and 12 theres not much difference .

I shot a lot of quarry with my old webley tracker years back and that only did 10.5ftlbs

18. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

I kid you not, and I do not advocate this as the general rule for all, but I know that from a rested position I can head shoot rabbits at 50 yds with this .177 rifle. The kills are humane and fast. Its just a blinding package. The whole issue of running it over the chrono was the very fact that it kills at 50yds so well. I wanted proof that the gun had not gone over the limit so far and that was the actual reason for the clean kills out to 50yds. The very fact that she is running at 11.1 says so much for this rifle. I love her to bits. KB1

19. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I wouldn't touch this rig mate, wouldn't even put a different pellet through it!

Sounds like its doing the job perfectly:up:

20. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

Like I say, you have to see it to believe it. I am using this more than my 'FAC' A/r at the moment. Its just such a great rifle for use from inside a vehicle. This short compact size suits the situation so well. I love it. KB1