1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Hw 98 - Who Would Be The Best Tuner?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hampshire Tog, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Long story short: Got an HW98 about a month ago. Mounted a Hawke Panorama 4-12 x 50 AO/IR, which had previously proved itself on a TX 200 HC. Cleaned the barrel, Took it to the range and had a play. Put about 200 pellets down it. First learning was it was > 12 ft/lb out of the box and not grouping at all. It dieseled something rotten, sounding on occasion like a centre fire. (Had a separate thread on this a couple of weeks ago.)

Took it home, degreased the internals. Swapped the spring for another Weihrauch spring I had lying around - same length/diameter etc. and a TBT spring guide and slip washer. (I couldn’t use the TBT top hat as the preload would have been too much though I was surprised that the gun didn’t come with one as standard.)

Took the gun back to the range. It cocks beautifully. The gun was now knocking out about 11.1 ft/lb with a max spread over 10 shots of 12 fps. Not amazing but not bad either and will settle down in time.

After some re-zeroing at 30 yds, it started grouping nicely until all of a sudden it sends out a flier. I say ‘flier’ but these errant pellet strikes are consistently about 3 inches under the group at the 6 o’clock mark. Indeed so consistent are these ‘fliers’ that they actually group! Note, I was shooting in nigh-on wind free conditions off a Predator bench rest so the margin for human error was limited.

I don’t think it’s a pellet thing. As my vanilla testing pellet, I am using AA DFs 4.52s and they work well in my other Weihrauchs.

These stray shots don’t seem like ‘fliers’ as a result of a dodgy pellet or a bent barrel rather the result of a random but consistent drop in power (if that makes sense).

Things it could be:

• Inconsistent hold - would the fliers be so consistent?
    • Scope is broken for some reason (though it hasn’t been knocked that I know)
    • The gun is delivering inconsistent power due to some internal issue. I didn’t pick it up on my string of 10 shots, maybe I should crony a string of 20 shots.
    Q1. Any other thoughts on what it might be?

Q2. This is clearly beyond my tuning abilities. Who would people recommend as a tuner?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and insight.

littleJon365 and Rincewind666 like this.
  2. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Moderated user

Can I ask how often the "fliers" are . . . E.g. . . . 4 shots ok 5th the flier . . .?
    I've had nearly every HW model on my bench and in bits and I'm very familiar with the 98. (I owned 2) I have seen this before but only once or twice Nd I've managed to work out them problems.

3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

Best person IMO is @Blackmax in Essex. I often pick rifles up for him as I cover a major area for work including Hampshire;)

Blackmax likes this.
  4. robs5230

robs5230 леший

I have a couple of recommendations.
    Get someone to fit the top hat and a slip washer. This will involve shortening the spring. Blackmax is a TBT fitter. Till you've done that you wont get the best out of it.

The predator rest may be too firm. Get something soft under there.

Lastly, the fifth shot thing could also be part due to a lapse in concentration I reckon. All seems to go well then the flier. Make sure you concentrate all the time. Consider the trigger pull and hone your technique.

Blackmax likes this.
  5. littleJon365

littleJon365 Democracy unless they disagree

Trigger could be playing a part. Get it set up so it doesn’t surprise you.
    My old 98 was running 11.3 and it was very accurate. The only shots that went a stray were my fault rushing or not concentrating. Very accurate rifle, weighs as much as a car though.

6. craigjohnmaz

craigjohnmaz Busy Member

Tuning wise i had a piston lightened glided and stroke shortened by wonky donky and i find it fast and subtle (recoil) with vmach spring and guides, flyer wise is it possibly lock up of the barrel?

7. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

Check the barrel detente catch, if it's new then it could be gunged up with blueing salts and not locking up as securely, this would make it shoot low, might not be but its a simple thing to eliminate without taking it apart.

8. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Sadly, it's not consistent. I could shoot a nice group of 4-5 and then I'd get a low shot. Then maybe another couple on target and then another flier. No real pattern to it. Any thoughts on what the issue is gratefully received.

9. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Thank you for your thoughts. I'd agree with the lapse of concentration theory if I wasn't so focused on getting the thing to work. I don't rush the shots and concentrate on my breathing on each one. If I did have a lapse of concentration, I would understand it if the fliers went left or right but not consistently 3 inches below zero at the 6 o'clock mark.

Thank you also for the Blackmax tip.

10. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Thanks for this littleJon. Agreed, the Rekord trigger on the '98 is not as good out of the box as my '98. Honing the trigger was to be the finishing touch once the fundamentals were sorted. Maybe you're right and that's where I should be starting.

11. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

CraigJohnMaz, thank you for your suggestion. Please excuse my ignorance: What is 'lock up of the barrel'?

12. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Thank you for the thought Rich. I don't think this is likely to be the case. I've had the thing apart and given all bits a good clean.

13. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

As ever, great support from fellow members for which sincerest thanks. I'll make my thanks more tangible with a donation to the forum.

littleJon365 likes this.
  14. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

You actually cleaned out the detente catch under the breech?

15. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Yes, if it's the bit I'm thinking of.

16. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Any clues what he charges?

17. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

Depends on what you want doing mate. It would be worth chucking @Blackmax a PM though I’ll warn you he’s away from the forum I believe until the weekend. Andy has done several Weihrauchs for me and his work is spot on and I consider the cost to be low - but again depends on what you discuss with Andy about what you want doing to it. ;)

Blackmax likes this.
  18. craigjohnmaz

craigjohnmaz Busy Member

Hi, when the barrel is cocked and you bring it back up locked into firing postion.. is there any slight movement up or down? Also is the breech seal seated flush

19. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

That's the issue! Until I know what the problem is I don't know what I'd need him to do. I'll be sure to drop @Blackmax a mail after the weekend. Thank you for the recommendation.

mikeyhall1 likes this.
  20. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

No slight movement up or down and the breech seal is flush. I even tried resting a small piece of paper on top of the breech to see whether it blew upwards when firing, hinting at an imperfect breech seal. It didn't move at all. Thanks for the suggestion.