1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

hw 100 in .20

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by deadnick, Apr 7, 2014.

1. deadnick

deadnick Active Member

Hi peoples,
    Just wondering if anyone out there has a hw100 in .20. I got one and love it to bits and does anyone know how many have been made. I have tried the other calibres and really get on with the .20 .

2. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

They are an off the shelf model mate. So will be a load out there

3. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

.20 is the way to go. I have been using the 5mm pellet for 18 years now. Glad to see people are finally catching up!!!:D

4. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

I know the HW100 .20 is a relatively new option, is there alot of choice in the range of .20 pellets, there is of course many manufactures of the other two calibres? Did you find it hard to find what the HW likes?

5. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I love .20 and have two rapids in said flavour. Jsb is choice of pellet for me but h&n works well too, I imagine the hw100 with love the h&n pellet :up:

6. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Because there is less choice, it is much easier to find a good pellet to suit the barrel - all the pellets made are good quality. This is one calibre that doesn't attract dubious pellets, probably because it is only the knowledgeable shooters that use it - newcomers will go for one of the more established calibres and then eventually might get round to trying the "new calibre" that has been going for 40 years!
    JSB
    H&N
    Bisley
    Crossman
    Accupell

You will find something that suits and even those that don't perform the best will still be very acceptable. head size is the biggest factor of fluctuation in .177 (4.51, 4.52 or 4.53 :confused:) Then in .22 you have another three head sizes to go through with each pellet....with .20 calibre you have one head size 5.01mm, job done. ;) :up:

7. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Yes but if there were more head size options available in .20 maybe there's more potential for accuracy?

8. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

Very nicely explained Accuspell thank you,:up:

9. deadnick

deadnick Active Member

H+n at the moment good grouping at 35 yrds but yet to try the jsb at that range. Also when i move into my new workshop i have a good 70 yrds running up the middle so plenty of time to find the pellet that groups well at above the 35yrds i have at the moment .

10. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Why? There is only ONE established bore size for .20cal (5.01mm) and I would say accuracy good enough to take pellets stood up on the fence at 50 yards is perfectly acceptable and probably you won't see much benefit spending time, effort and money searching for even more! There is probably a reason why the National Benchrest Championship of RSA (South Africa) saw .20 shooters take the top 10 places.:D In the USA the calibre enjoys similar success at target disciplines. It is only we conservative (read suspicious of change) Brits that look at the young pretender quizzically. ;)

With .177 there is the old British size, the European size and then modern British size......hence three different head sizes. The opportunity for mis match is so much greater. This is born out by pellet purchases changing from one batch to the next - say you buy JSB Exacts in 4.52mm size. The next time you buy them they are very likely to be from a different die with a different skirt shape. That is why people in the know buy batch numbered pellets 20 tins at a time.

With .20 - these discrepencies are less likely to crop up. I have been shooting .20 almost exclusively since 1996 and I have never had much differential between pellets over all those years.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  11. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

What power were the South Africans shooting at and what ratio of calibres were being used?

12. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I don't know, I just saw the results tables. It gave calibre and make of rifle - 8/ top 10 were RAW TM1000! All in .20 - which is a popular calibe in RSA, but then so is .177. They are less stuck in their ways though.

13. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Ok I'm not being a doubting Thomas here more of a.20 curious fence sitter.

14. stefan

stefan I am the passenger

i think you may have got that wrong as hull cartridge only had a small amount brought into the country

15. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

A friend of mine is 8 weeks into his 12 week wait for one. His local rfd couldn't get one from the uk so had to put a special order in for one. Hopefully he'll have it by the middle of May

16. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Nope. Bar and solware advertise as off the shelf. Bagnal and kirkwood in newcastle (my local) have them on the shelf. They have been a full production model for months now

17. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Woody's of Wembley have at least 3 on the shelf ready to walk out with. So there is no need to wait for special orders.

18. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Not so much less stuck in their ways as .22 requires a ticket.

In some ways it's easier to get a licence for a (concealed carry) handgun than a .22 air rifle believe it or not.

My Da lives in Cape Town, just moved from the Transvaal District (now Mphumalanga). Had a Luger 7.65 pistol, and couldn't get a .22 air rifle!

Back on topic, I have a .177 and a .22. I feel I'm really missing out on the .20 calibre and might just have to use that as an excuse to purchase another rifle. That's what I'm gonna feed the girlfriend, and I'm gonna stick by it. :D

19. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Our folks live on the cape too, near Scarborough. Cousin Roger has the Indigenous Nursery and he surfs nearly every day down at Scarborough! I agree about the .22 difficulty, but it doesn't explain the preference of .20 over .177 for target disciplines - except of course the wind cheating properties of the.20.

There are those who have never shot a .20 and KNOW it is no better than anything else. Then there are those who have shot a .20 for a long time and THINK it has advantages.:D

20. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Awesome! The 'ol fella is in Simonstown now, much more his pace of life at the mo.

I'm all for .20, just need to find myself the right gun at the right price (and a bigger toolbox for all the gubbins that inevitably come with it). I think I'd be right at home with it, just been a bit thin on the ground when I was looking. Might hold out for a Fenman in .20, 'cos my underlever and pcp are keeping me happy just now. I think it's the perfect calibre on paper, It's the best of both worlds.