1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Huntsman Classic, Huntsman Regal or even a ProSport

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by DanLarn, Jan 13, 2014.

1. DanLarn

DanLarn Member

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to air gunning, and I have a question for you all.

I am looking at getting back into shooting, as I haven't really had a go for years, and I want to know what gun to go for. I am looking at the Huntsman (either Classic or Regal) and hopefully I will find a a good used example somewhere, but I think I'd prefer the Classic, does anyone have any experience with both? what would give the regal the edge over the classic, and is it worth it?

My other option is getting a ProSport, I like springers because I like to tinker and tune my guns, but I do like the ease of PCP shooting.

Which of the two Daystates would you prefer and why? and then would you rather have that or the ProSport?

2. yorkshireshoot

yorkshireshoot Posting Addict

Hi mate my friend got a regal recently and it is a great rifle , however if you find a nice clean huntsman classic going secondhand ( or a new one still in stock somewhere ! ) I don't think the regal would be orth the extra money IMO . I think the main differences are quite cosmetic rather than functional between them .

3. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, maybe can go for a .20 regal ,or i would plump for a AIR ARMS S410 S510 which size .177 .22 or model is up to you, you can do targets and hunt with .177

4. DanLarn

DanLarn Member

I have found a shop online which has Classics from new, but they aren't much cheaper than the Regal's even 2nd hand! I know they are supposed to get a few more shots per charge d/t bigger cylinder, and they are a touch lighter, but I still think I prefer the classic. Unless someone can tell me any different then that's what I will go for I think, or I could still be tempted by the ProSport.

5. bigbadbear

bigbadbear Donator

get yourself a prosport, you won't regret it, no hassle about having to get charging gear. great reliable, accurate rifles:D:D:D

6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The Regal is technically better than the Classic; due mainly to it's separate air cylinder and ally striker housing - which improve the balance of the gun and should make working on them a bit less of a ball-ache. I'd certainly consider the competition though - personally I'd rather have an HW100 or AA S410.. ;)

7. yorkshireshoot

Good point , for the money for a regal rifle only you could get a pretty decent hw100 or aas410 full set up !

8. dynarod

dynarod Engaging Member

I've just treated myself to a AA410F carbine superlite and it's a lovely light rifle. I haven't shot the Regal but i have shot a MK3 and a HW100 and i think the 410f is better. the hw100 is so heavy and i didn't like the daystate mag.
    If you want a regal then go for it. doesn't matter what you use, just get out there.

9. DanLarn

DanLarn Member

I have used an S410, and they are very nice indeed, I prefer the styling of Huntsman. It has the look of a full bore rifle, and the classy lines are just delicious! There is money set aside for all this, including a big scope, so I'm not really looking for alternatives on a value for money basis.

I know its going a little off topic, but what scopes do people like? I am salivating over the MTC Viper 8-32 x 60! I'm a sucker for the chunky optics, but I'm open to suggestions for an alternative on this! :)

Thanks Fellas!

10. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

If I were you I'd give careful consideration to what you want from the gun and what you plan to use it for.

I appreciate that the Regal is a nice looking piece of kit, but aesthetics are only one (IMO ultimately pretty insignificant) attribute to consider when buying a rifle - far more important characteristics would IMO include build quality, fit and finish, reliability, efficiency, accuracy, shot count, ease/cost of repair, quality of after-sales, balance, trigger quality.....

Likewise - why do you want / need an 8-32x60? Sounds like you've fallen into the classic "bigger is better" marketing trap.. yes, high mag is nice; but do you need it, and are you prepared to live with the trade-offs of having such large glass (increased mass, compromised balance, reduced image quality, reduced image brightness, reduced field of view, reduced depth of field...)?

In addition such a large 'scope seems totally mismatched for a slender, lightweight and easy-handling rifle like the Huntsman. IMO the ideal spec for your "typical", general-use sporting PCP is something like a 4-12x40AO; much larger on the mag or objective and things rapidly start to head south in my experience. The obvious exception is if you're looking to use the gun exclusively for FT; in which case high mag / large objective glass is the order of the day ;)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  11. yorkshireshoot

The viper connect goes well on a regal mate ! :)

12. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

WHY? I don't mean this in a flippant way. I am asking because a 60mm objective is a very job specific lens. It will have naff all depth of field and be high off the receiver, which in turn lifts your head off the stock - there is no way it would fit on a standard rifle such as your Huntsman or Prosport without a heavily modified comb - your head will be waggling in the breeze.

The 8-32x60 is an FT type scope and will be very limiting out in the field. If you are going to be shooting awkwardly placed, tiny target kill zones then fine - but get a comb raiser to allow you to see down the scope. I have to use a comb raiser on the Huntsman with the Lightstream 44mm objective. Good shooting technique starts with GUN FIT- and having to lift your head to see through the sight is not good gun fit and therefor is not good technique. On the positive side, a comb raiser is about £20 and just fits on with straps - and has a zipped pocket to keep your spare magazine or pellet pouch, or range card and lens cloth.....

8x is plenty powerful enough for MOST hunting situations. 32x will be very dark looking through on all but the best of days, even with 60mm of objective - and I hope it has a 35mm tube to continue to carry the light through, otherwise the tube becomes the constraint to brightness and most of the advantage of the 60mm is lost.

Don't just spend out on things that look good on paper or will be quickly changing.......much cheaper and better in the long run to buy wisely, once! This is definitely where you need your head to rule your heart.

SO - in answer to my first question....WHY? In other words, what are you going to be shooting with this magic rig, when you get it?

13. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Cloverleaf typed faster than I did! :D

14. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Not used the regal but prefer the looks of the classic myself. If given a choice I'd probably go with the regal for the greater shot count but know I would miss the slicker look of the classic. Sorry not to have been much help as this is probably the situation you find yourself in already.

Have to agree with the chap with his thoughts about big scopes not necessarily being the best.

15. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Regals a good gun mate probably no better than the classic but they had to do something to sell more .I have the viper connect on mine and it works well ..also alot of aa and hw fans on here but the regal or classic is as good as any of em its what you prefer atb

16. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

I had a huntsman classic and now have a HW100s and a Hw100 fsb, the huntsman is a great rifle the shot count is only about 20 less shots than the regal which was 80 on my .177. if buying new go for the regal as it will have a better resale value if like me you decide to have a change. The hw 100 is a more solid and sturdy rifle but does not look as good as the regal/huntsman but the Hw100kt handles superbly well, i choose the FSB version and put a full length cylinder on it for increased shot count (used an A& M cylinder) and now have a short great handling rifle. accuracy wise both daystate and Hw rifles are equal. My High mag scope is a pain as for every two yard change in distance you have to refocus (tip, get a side focus scope for ease of use);)

17. DanLarn

DanLarn Member

All of this is very true, as is what others have said about the scope, I am a sucker for big optics. I know that I would never use more than 10x mag, I never used more than 12x on my Bushnell site which went up to 18x. 44mm is more than enough of an objective lens for most purposes.

I have a Hawke 3-9x50 lying around somewhere, that would be more than enough for what I need. I only intend on blasting the odd bunny, pigeon, rat or squirrel.

I was asking for a bit of input, but I wasn't really planning on buying the big scope for this rig.

18. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

A MTC Viper 8-32x60 is a heavy big scope would ruin the balance of a new huntsman.
    I would get down to a gun shop that has at least has a regal/classic,pro sport.TX200,HW97kt hold them and see which fits and suits you best.

A springer will save you money as you wont need any charging equipment, though it will take you a while to get the most out of it and plently of practice.

19. DanLarn

DanLarn Member

Right, I have loads of free time today, so I am going to my local gun shop to take a look at some kit. They happen to have a 2nd hand Huntsman Classic in .20, and a ProSport as well as others. I think after careful consideration I still want a PCP, so if this Huntsman fits the bill then I will not hesitate, I think the ProSport is out. As for the flak that was being given about the scope, don't worry, I wont be fitting a huge scope to my new rifle any which way. I have heard mention of the Viper connect, and I will certainly take a look at one of those, but may just try and dig out my old Hawke 3-9x50.

Thanks for all your help lads.

20. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

You will never regret getting the .20 and in a Huntsman, has to be one of the best rifles there is. I have one! If when you see it it has a shroad onit, then it is a Lowther-Walther barrel made for Daystate. If, like mine, it doesn't have a shroud and has a 16mm barrel it is one of a limited edition of TWENTY RIFLES ONLY, built with Anschutz match grade barrels, sourced from Theoben (left overs! There were 23 of them, 20 went into the Huntsman, of which only 10 stayed in this country and B.A.R. had them all, 5 went to the USA and 5 went to RSA. The other three became 2 Wolfs and 1 Ranger). The cost of machining the barrels to fit the Daystate action, plus the initial cost of the barrels made them uneconomic, but it proved to Tony that .20 works and they offered .20 from then on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tyrolean Rapid 12/200 is better, it shouldn't be,but just is. The 200 bit signifies .20 (Theoben were the first exponents of the calibre over here and made it work)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy your new rifle. First port of call with pellets - try the H&N FTT, then try JSB Exact. I will be very surprised if one of those doesn't produce one hole groups at 30 yards.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014