1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting tips?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by RugbyPete, Jun 11, 2007.

1. RugbyPete

RugbyPete Active Member

I've got access to a thousand acres of land and now also a golf course.

Rabbits are abundant int he golf course but the 1000 acres is pretty much full of crops and so had loads of cover for anything we'd want to shoot.
    Sure we saw grouse and pheasant, spooked the odd pigeon that was hiding in the rough when walking along but apart from that saw nothing but 4 rabbits on the shooting grounds lawn! After 2 hour sit got dark and we went home slightly disheartend

Anyone got any tip sor links to good reads? We have all this land but -swearword- all luck tracking down anything.

Gold cours e Ithink we'll camp out on the embankments or get a hide and get there early

2. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

wait till the crops are cut, then you should hammer them;)

3. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

1. Is it already being hunted on, Ferreted, shot, Dog, Bird?
    This can make a huge difference to their intelligence. Are their many Foxes, Is their a Pheasant shoot near bye.

2. How far even in cover do they venture from their warrens? This gives you a rough idea how much they are being prayed on by the above.

3. Go their at night. Don't shoot, just lamp and get a feeling for hotspots and numbers. If lots of young probably not too many predators .

The rabbits this year have gone crazy, they are already on 3rd generations. Warm winter, Hot April , wet May.....Perfect conditions for breeding.
    Last year that heatwave killed off many youngsters as the waters just dried up quick.
    If you where still alive in January you where one tough son of a bitch Rabbit but then the wet winter helped.
    This year i have not seen so many in a very long time.

Hot spots are your best bet, and yes wait a bit for the grass to come down but remember the shorter it is the more they can see you.....Takes your choice.

Always downwind as well.......That's a must!

4. RugbyPete

RugbyPete Active Member

Another -rubbish- evenings hunting...

Went out, peeked around the corner of the field, a few rabbits. Mate took a shot, missed.
    We then took the opportunity for a slow crawl uphill, saw some more in the long grass, too far to shoot at.

We then set up a hide, camped out waiting for them to come out, wind blowing in our faces, no talking etc. We sat there for half an hour, one popped out, then something must have spookedi t because it hid in the grass, after an hour there was still only one rabbit out at about 70 yards, decided to go for a walk up the field to the gun club.

Nothing all the way there (its long rape plants), got to the club and there were two predatory birds hovering over the club hut, no chance. They had scared them all off, bar one which my mate spooked because he gave up too soon and stomped along the green. Even then, it woulda been a tough shot.

After 4 hours of creeping around corners, barns and fields, It got late, we went home.

I REALLY think the land has been overshot, we've found two areas of opportunity and they are easy to cover in half hour tops - the entrance road to the club and the other entrance to the field -thats it. The clubs been there 28 years and the surrounding 1000 acres has nowt on it! Even the pigeons dont fly over, instead spot us and dart backwards in a panic.

REAL annoying thing is I drive off the farmer land through the industrial estate, I must have seen 50+ rabbits on the verges, 25+ pigeons sitting on the lamp-posts - *******!