1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hunting Scope Recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Gunner177, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Gunner177

Gunner177 Member

After All,

I'm looking for recommendations for a scope for hunting to go on a non-FAC springer. I'm looking for guidance on brands and model:

- around £150
    - fancy reticle isn't required, Mil-Dot or 30/30 is ok
    - Illuminated reticle not required
    - tube diameter isn't important, but ideally one piece
    - doesn't need to be parallax adjustable (if it needs to be, sidewheel is preferable)
    - magnification no more than 10X or so
    - overall it needs to have decent glass and be strong and reliable.

Many thanks!

Scots Bob, Popgun and rabbitwrecker like this.
  2. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

Easy - get yourself the best quality 4x32 or 6x40 that you can afford... :thumb:

3. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Too much keyboard, not enough action!

I'd suggest wide field of view and unfussy eye relief are two important attributes... Nikko Stirling Panamax (new) fits the budget. I like different magnification options for different circumstances (quarry/range/habitat) but I rarely zoom as such.... 2-7x or 3-9x is enough. Used you can get better glass than the Panamax for your budget but field of view and eye relief may not be as good.

2506sendero and Gunner177 like this.
  4. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Sounds like a Simmons WTC would suit you. Simple light weight and robust.

32:1 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  5. Gunner177

Gunner177 Member

I've been thinking that as an aside. Any particular brands to check out?

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  6. Gunner177

Gunner177 Member

Are Simmons still around? They were a big thing when I got into airgunning years ago.

Kalibrgun and TORNADOS7 like this.
  7. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Major Poster

Perhaps look on bay of E , at a Weaver or Leupold rimfire...quality glass , lightweight, simple " plex" reticles- great hunting scopes.

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  8. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

Can't really help you in that price zone. I use a Sabre Airgunner 4x32 A/O that cost a little over £30 from JSR's bargain basement. It's been on my. 22 99s for the best part of 3 years and I can't fault it. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available any longer...

2019-08-11_05.34.30.jpg

David M and Scots Bob like this.
  9. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

Simmons WTC are long discontinued, but they come up on the secondary market frequently and command good prices (for a good reason)

Kalibrgun likes this.
  10. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

Another vote for N-S Panamax, and you will pick a 3-9 X 40 up for around a ton if you shop around.

11. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

Have a look at Optics Warehouse site, if you put in your search requirements about 14 scopes come up - Hawke, Vortex, Athelon, Optisan.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/c...n=1247&illuminated_reticle=1240&price=100-163

I'd double check the parallax setting on these scope though.

12. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

I've got a couple of Nikko Panamax's, very good for the money but not sidewheel, the secondhand market seems to throw up good scopes, just picked up a Nikko platinum nighteater 4-16x50 for £60, good choice if it has to be side focus.

13. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Currently running a reparallaxed “Nikko Sterling, Gameking 3-9x40MD” which is doing the business if I’m honest, simple, light, reasonable glass, job done...

14. Gunner177

Gunner177 Member

Anyone using one of these? If so, what's your opinion and would you recommend it?

Attached Files:

15. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

Yes, I've got one on an SMK P15, if you want p/a adjustment then you're probably better off going for the UTG bugbuster as the Konus doesn't have it.
    I use mine ok but as I've said on previous threads there's a big smudge on the inside, can't see it during the day or at night with a lamp & ir on but in pitch black with the illuminated reticle on you can see it, okay nobody is ever going to use it in total darkness with the ir on but still I know it's there.

16. CaptBlue69

CaptBlue69 Engaging Member

Have a look at "in your sights" they are based in malvern and have a good range on their website

17. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

Absolutely no need to buy new imo, PLENTY of good quality scopes for sale second hand on here ;)

32:1 and critter like this.
  18. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Posting Addict

I bought a Nikon prostaff EFR 3-9x40ao 18 month ago for my s400. That was £150 but they've undated the range now and I think they are a lot more money. So when I needed another scope recently I opted for a Konus 3-9x32ao 30/30 etched glass Ret. It was about £75. It's a super little scope and I'd highly recommend it. Glass as good as the Nikon. The ret is very fine, almost too fine but I like it. It seems well made too in a no nonsense kind of way. I have it on my Diana 280 and so far so good. I bought it for my HW80 but I've put a Hawke Sport HD 4x32ao on that. Bought that Hawke "new old stock" for less than £40. All the above... Nikon , Konus and the older Hawke are all ok. The Konus is my fav at the moment! Personally don't like Nikko sterling stuff.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    terrierforce likes this.
  19. critter

critter Donator

I always like a 4-16x44 as find it covers almost every need

20. Drake267

Drake267 Pro Poster

Hawke airmax 25mm, used mamba lite, discovery compact 3-12x44 for a little more cash and it’s a nice scope too. Short and light. It was a toss up on one of those or an airmax on my springer. The airmax came up used at a good price first.