1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting Scope Advice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Lydford, May 3, 2012.

1. Lydford

Lydford Post Whore

Hunting Scope Advice

Just wondered what would be the best scope for my Weihrauch HW97k. Due to the gun’s rather considerable weight the scope needs to be as light as possible (300 – 400 gms?) and as I hunt at relatively close range (25 – 40yds) it doesn’t really need to be parallax adjustable. Ideally I like a 6x magnification but I could use 4.
    [h=1]The one that has taken my eye is the BUSHNELL SPORTSMAN 4x32 RETICLE which is currenly selling new on fleabay for eighty quid.[/h][h=1]As cash is not that fluid at present I want to get it right before buying something so I would greatly appreciate your input …[/h][h=1] [/h][h=1]Best regards[/h]

2. bradleymarky

bradleymarky Keyboard Hero

Have a look at the leapers scope on ebay....3-9x40 crosshair with illuminated cross for £29 + p+p....belting scoped for the price

3. ANGOF

ANGOF Post Whore

4. Dead eye kai

Dead eye kai Busy Member

I've got a hawke varmint sf 3-12x44 on my 97. Love the 1/2 mill dot ret.

5. Lydford

Lydford Post Whore

I like the sound of the Mamba but at present it is a little beyond my meagre budget.

6. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

The Nikko Sterling Mountmaster range are very good for the money, they do a 3-9x40 or even a 6x40 with adjustable parallax, you may say you don't need the adjustable parallax but it does come in very handy for close range work.

I must say though, I bought my Mountmaster a few years ago and they seemed to be better quality then but they still do an admirable job now. Go for the smaller 40mm lens as you get better quality for your money and keep away from the IR models would be my advice. Check 'em out here: http://www.jsramsbottom.com/categorylist/riflescopes-nikko-stirling-mountmaster/

7. DougR

DougR Busy Member

The weight is an interesting point - as the scope mounts almost directly above the CoG for the gun - once shouldered its not a large issue.

With funds being tight, and a shortage of experience - you'd not want to buy more than one - so:

1 - See if you can wangle a shot or two with scopes of different magnification - is there a nearby club you could visit.
    2 - See if you can track down the thing you want secondhand - either on here or via E-Bay

I have (amongst others) a Hawke HD sport - 30/30 reticle, no PA - and it weighs in at 320 grams - the mounts add another hundred. - these were very popular a few years ago but have since been largely superseded (on the New market) by Mil-Dot reticles, PA and the (questionable) Illuminated Reticle.
    Don't pay over £20 for one secondhand.

If you are going "New" - then the Nikko Stirling 3-9x40 Mountmaster is a nice thing - has quite a few fans here - But I don't like the Illuminated Reticle - harmless if turned off but not worth any extra money.