1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hunting rifle rain & scratch protection

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by neiled, Jan 18, 2014.

1. neiled

neiled Donator

As the title says I'm looking for the best way of protecting my new HW100KT against both rain and general wear and tear marks (scratches, dinks, bumps etc.) when I'm out hunting so what do you lads do to protect yours? I'm not in to target shooting so it's only going to be used for hunting.

It's not too bad in daylight as I try and be careful where I'm placing it for taking a shot but it can still get caught, scratched, knocked etc. when stalking though the undergrowth but it's a lot harder in the dark as I can't always see what and where I'm placing it.

Waterproofing's another thing as I'm not a fair weather shooter and will go out in the rain, well light rain anyway :eek:

Any pictures to show how you protect yours would be a bonus lads.

2. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

You could wipe It down with birchwood Casey take alongs, cheap and really good . Get them from uttings at a good price

3. Terra firma

Terra firma Engaging Member

4. ian.sas

ian.sas Engaging Member

Simple and good way to protect your pride and joy is to make one of these, I have one for each rifle and the one in the pic as a waterproof nylon liner with a camo mesh outer, making another one this week for Sas as she as a new ultra and don't want it scratched in the woods, ( hope the pic works ). Ian

Attached Files:

5. neiled

neiled Donator

Thanks for the replies, it's good see that there are some like minded hunters on here :up:

6. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Hi neiled, there is good hunting to be had in rough weather and these conditions can be used to great advantage also. I use my rifle as a hunting tool as well and expect it to get those "used" marks/knocks. l now affectionally call these scrapes/dinks "loved", as its going through the process of doing what l love when they get applied ;).

I've also thought for a while about a water/weatherproof cover/shelter for when out in the wet. There is a ponch design that has a front scope/rifle/bino flap built into it. Bit expensive (£50-ish) if l remember tho.

I've an old dpm goretex coat that has a spare arm l'm thinking of mod'ing into a quick-cover for a pocket sizes drape, , , , still thinking about that one.

The main problem l see, whether covering to prevent damage or keeping the elements out, is doing it in such a way as to still allow good use (and safety) of the rifle. Its a compramise thing for sure :confused:

7. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

8. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

Ian, thats a tidy piece of work and you might get a few orders !!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. ian.sas

ian.sas Engaging Member

Your not the first to say that and I have made a couple for my mates but I did need there rifles to use as a template. They are very easy to make all you need is a sewing machine some press studs and the covering ( jack pyke mesh ) or similar. Ian.

10. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello ian, yes i expect you would need make template, but then i dont have a machine as you say, so will look at those socky things, many members do make some good diy shooting stuff as i put on a rifle rest prototype here but never heard back from the forum member making one. anyway well done 2014s first good diy idea

11. neiled

neiled Donator

Ian

I agree with Ratman60, yours is an excellent design but alas my homecraft skills only amount to pressing the "buy button" on the websites for the other suggestions that have been made so some camo tape and a gun sock are now heading my way :eek:.... but who knows in the future.

12. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    its not waterproof, but wrapped in this, the rifle will be protected as much as it can be from those knocks and scratches http://dx.com/p/constable-convenien...c-non-woven-fabric-bandage-black-450cm-227001
    before applying, wipe down the rifle with a thin film of ballistol (or other oil/protectant). - this will protect it from the rain.
    when the hunting session is finished, remove the bandage and leave out to dry and wipe rifle down

13. Danny Fireblade

Danny Fireblade Well-Known Member

If you want to waterproof it just wrap some cling film around it before you go out.

Simples.

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Cling film + water = shiny and reflective

15. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Hi. unless the stock design has altered since I had my early HW100 I would be concerned about water collection in the inletting, Lots of cavities there to hold water. I gave mine a few good coats of Tru oil to seal it here. Also for complete water protection of metal work I spray a coat of ACF50 "google it" before going out in the rain. If this stuff will stop a motor bike rusting over winter with one coat you gun should be safe on a days outing. Cant comment on minor woodwork scratches after all it's a hunting gun not a wall hanger.
    Just my opinion!

16. Terra firma

Terra firma Engaging Member

Not waterproof but water repellent by applying silicone spray
    For first time fitting cut out for trigger, magazine port, bolt/sidelever, swivels etc
    Then fit / cut out for scope mounts
    Remove the sock from rifle
    Then spray the sock with silicone spray whilst off the gun and let it dry
    Refit to gun and zero sights

Remove sock from rifle if its been raining, dry sock and re-apply silicone
    As per usual wet weather - separate stock from action and wipe down / dry

The only down side is removing the scope each time you have been out on a wet shoot

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  17. mikey

mikey Pro Poster

I use the acf50 and its brilliant and recommended

18. welshrune

welshrune Member

Never used these socks, sorry to sound dumb but how do they work with an underlever? Can you still cock the gun etc without rermoiving the sock?

19. lurchermann

lurchermann Busy Member

Great idea,I need something for my mk4 DAYSTATE.

20. Jafleming123

Jafleming123 Posting Addict

have you tried a hunters apg camo sock, and just cut out the holes for your sidelever and magazine port :)