1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

hunting question

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by tewinfarm, Feb 2, 2008.

1. tewinfarm

tewinfarm Member

im a begginer in shooting and have bought a new gun, a gamo shadow 1000 .22, i was shooting with it today (targets) it seems good but as i don't know that much yet i was wondering what it would be like for hunting things like magpies, crows, rabbits, pheasants etc. because i need to know if its powerful enough. i think it is but just want to make sure.

any advice would be very appreciated. :up:

2. Buzz

Buzz Banned

If you hit them in the right place it will kill them all. I don't know just how legal pheasant would be though.

3. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

the phesant isnt on the airgun hit list but with a headshot below 30 yds then it will humanley kill it. you are meant to use shotguns and firearms but i wont tell if you wont

4. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

the gun should be up to the job if its running at around 11. 2
    but are you up to it?
    when you can put all of your pellets inside a circle the size of a 10p coin at 35yds
    then you may consider yourself good enough to shoot live vermin,
    practice , practice , practice, and good look mate.

5. tewinfarm

tewinfarm Member

thanks, btw i wont be shooting phesants it was just an example to see if it would kill it. and what happens of i get a body shot?

and do you think the gun is any good. i purchased it because it was at a good price.

6. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Body shots don't often do the job unless they are at VERY close range and if you're that close why not hit it in the head and be sure of a swift kill !!

7. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

buzz is right, so is rockabilly, if you go for a body shot, and the rabbit gets back down the burrow, you will be in real trouble for one with the R.S.P.C.A. for causing suffering to a animal, because that animal is going to die a slow and painful death....so as rockabilly as said, you need to practice...practice..and some more, so my advice, as most, if not all the people on this forum...head shots only.....Why..you may say... you must respect the animals you shoot, and do not curse them undue suffering

8. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

body shots are a little hit and miss unless you know where the vital organs are, with headshots you know where the head is so there's no confusion.
    I have taken pigeons with body shots out to about 30yds but i know how a pigeon works.

with bigger quarry like rabbits,crows,rooks,(phesant, in brackets as it's not really airgun quarry), then a headshot is neccesary

i have taken chest shots on pigeon speises, magpies (other small corvids) with a domed .22 and killed them humanley but i advise that you go for a headshot first then (i know it sounds gruesom) experiment with it.
    do an autopsy and chech for soft spots.

9. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

HEAD SHOTS ONLY

10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i was just saying its possible with the right know how range (and .22)

11. simply james

simply james Banned

loads of practice mate till it comes second nature.when your hitting 9 out of ten targets then go hunting.

12. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

just to add the chst looks huge compared to the head but sometimes the head is bigge because you cant just put the pellet anywhere in the chest cavity there are certain strong points and weak points, ether way as long as you can hit a 50 p piece then you can go hunting.

13. FXpoacher

FXpoacher Engaging Member

With a .22 running at 12ftlb's, a lung shot is viable at no more than 30 yards if taken from the side, but the lungs on a magpie aren't much bigger than the head, so if you cant see the head, take a lung shot. But before you do that, do an autopsy on a magpie so you actualy know where all the bits sit.
    If you can put a clean hole through the bottom of a baked bead tin at 30 yrds, then you don't have to worry about the rifle not doing it's job, it comes down to your skill at hitting the target in EXACTLY the right spot.
    Crawling through brambles tracking a squawking blind magpie,(Botched headshot,Never aim for the eye! Pellet passed straight through the head taken both eye's out but not killing it!. .177......Pah!), is not what i would call good fun!

14. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

another good kill zone i have fount is when you are under a bird in a tree or rafter you can shoot the diafram and in to the chest from under neath, the feathers dont stop the pellet at all as it slips under them:up:

15. erifle

erifle Active Member

Hi
    Try some of the free Silhouette targets at www.erifle.co.uk for hunting "kill zone" practice.

[​IMG]

16. gazandjen

gazandjen Well-Known Member

:down:Pheasant season ended 1st Feb I think....you cannot shoot them until about November again

17. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i think it is also illegal to shoot game on sunday's and at xmas time:confused:

could be wrong (again)

18. Nicksi

Nicksi Engaging Member

Agree - accuracy, accuracy, accuracy - my first gun when I was eight was a Diana 25 .177. This thing can't have been putting out more than 6ftlbs BUT it was lethal accurate. As I got older I used to shoot pidgeons and Jackdaws with it out to 25 yards. BUT ONLY EVER A HEAD SHOT

19. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

just saying i have humanly taken quary with chest shots

20. sumo

sumo Posting Addict

As above,headshots only!.
    Pheasant is classed as a game bird and if you shoot them on private land not owned by you,dont be surprised to be charged upwards of £15 per bird.
    Just thought you should be aware.

sumo.