1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting Gun Choices - Comments?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by dangerdave, Oct 9, 2014.

1. dangerdave

dangerdave Donator

Hi all, I am about to make an investment and I wanted to run it by you for any comments or advice please!

I am getting a bit of a windfall and am ready to buy some hunting set up. At the moment FAC is out of the picture, so airguns it is. I shoot on a large farm where I rent a house, with all the usual quarry including rats in the barns.

I have in mind two rifles which I need to be light enough to carry around for hours. I have a HW100 with sidewinder scope which is ideal for being in hides, sitting in barns etc but a bit heavy to lug about. After a lot of browsing I thought of:

1. Air Arms S510 Superlight in .177 with Redfield Revolution 4-12 x 40 scope. AA Diablo Field pellets. This would be a daytime gun.
    2. Air Arms S410 Superlight in .22 with Pulsar Digisight N750 which would stay on the gun all the time. AA Diablo Hunter pellets. For use obviously after dark.

A considerable investment which I can only make once, so want to get it right. By the way, I also like the BSA Ultra but already have one. The AA is a gun I would like to own and try.

David

[h=1][/h]

2. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

Your best bet is to go for what feels right and comfortable in the shoulder s410/510 are both very good rifles but I prefer the ds huntsman over both of them other prefer the hw100 or scorpion etc they will all do the same job so it's what you prefer

3. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

If you want to save weight, the Superlite series of the AirArms range weighs next to nothing. I had one and it made hunting so much easier (going from a heavy lump tx200 to S410 Superlite).

I'd go for the S410 and a decent silencer. The S510's shrouded barrel still needs a silencer, but it will make the rifle longer with one fitted due to the extended shroud.

4. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Go to your local shop and have a play with a range of guns, there are so many to choose from and what suits one person may not suit another.

5. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Why not get your Ultra regulated to increase the shot count - nice and light, accurate etc. Then you could buy the Air Arms S410 and have cash in your pocket.

6. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

HW100 too heavy to lug around?

Do some work on the farm and build your muscles up, or buy a Bullworker for £20 and save the other £500. You don't need another rifle, you are much better using the one you have and getting to know it intimately.

7. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

I was going to say this also - I have had two HW100's and I carry them around all day when I go out no problems, and I'm not exactly Arnie. You won't find a better loading system than the HW100, especially when using it at night with the NV.

8. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, if you have a bsa ultra why buy another unless the shot count matters ? you could get a light 3ltr tank and take with you?, if your set on getting another light PCP and use as described but more shots per fill the AAs are better but the difference in weight between standard and super lite is this AA S410 CARBINE CLASSIC 6.6LLB, the AA S410 CARBINE SUPER LITE 5.73LLB so the difference in weight might be ideal for what you intend. if you like a bolt action the 410 series are very good, or the side lever S510s 10 shot both work out at 6.4llb. info from airgun buyers guide. as ken said go and have a looksy and get a view as there are other PCPs that would do for your shooting. if you want realy light and high shot count look at the FX vermy, you might find a decent s/h MK1 in your area. since getting one in .22 my S410 has become redundant.

9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The Air Arms rifles are both nice, I prefer the 410 myself as the 510 shroud isn't to my taste and doesn't work very well as a silencer. The superlight designation is a bit of an exaggeration as well.
    The nv scope is serious overkill for air rifle use, I'm not sure about its performance in daylight but the Drone Pro is supposed to work very well day and night and is in the same price bracket. Having a day/night capable unit could allow you to go for a single rifle if that's a consideration.
    If you want ultimate light weight you could think about a customised rifle, at the weekend I saw a MFR which, complete with scope and shrouded barrel, weighed 2.6kg. This was a beautifully crafted gun and had weight removed from virtually every area and was fitted with a small bottle. Light weight does have its downside as the rifle can be more difficult to hold steady and if you then have to add in shooting sticks etc you won't have made an overall saving.
    Clearly you've already thought hard about what to do, if you are not in a hurry it might be worth making a trip to the Shooting Show in February which would give you a chance to see most of the rifles available plus a really good range of nv equipment and compare your choices side by side.

10. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, never heard of a MFR terry any chance of a pic??

11. dangerdave

dangerdave Donator

Maybe its the scope that is taking the weight a bit high? On my list is a Redfield scope in my local gun shop which may be more suitable. With regards to the Bullworker etc - nice point !! It may be the source of the problem though - I work out at the gym 4 days a week so maybe my muscles are goosed to start with!! :)

12. dangerdave

dangerdave Donator

Cheers for the comments - I understand what you say about the scope being ott. But although I said that FAC is off the cards at the moment, it only means this year. In 2015 I am planning to get licenced so may use the scope on a .22 rifle. Handy points about the choices - thanks. I guess that as well as a keen shooter I also like to collect - guns included............ :)

13. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

What scope do you have on it? Some scopes do weigh a ton so it's a possibility lol.
    I also find that carrying the rifle in the croock of my elbow saves my arms for a shot :up:

14. dangerdave

dangerdave Donator

Hi mate - as it happens I just took the scope off the gun and it IS heavy!! The box states 845g. I am going to sell the scope on here and see if I can get a real good quality scope in exchange / buy / swap etc. The scope is prob more suited to live ammo stuff.
    David

15. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

845g :eek: what is it? Hubble telescope? :D

16. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

here you go
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  17. dangerdave

dangerdave Donator

I think you a right mate!! lol
    Its a Hawke Endurance, much more suited to bringing down elephants me thinks........

18. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I had a go of an s410 many moons ago at the club, it's much lighter and more pointable than my HW100. However, I like the weighty feel of the German engineering but I can see how it might not be pleasant to lug about all day.

19. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Have you considered lightening the HW100 with a custom cylinder. Chopped a whole pound off of mine with an A+M cylinder. You can then save your redies for 2015.

20. dangerdave

dangerdave Donator

Sounds like something I should look at ! cheers