1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question hunter for pests as a job?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jordanmrt, May 11, 2015.

1. jordanmrt

jordanmrt Member

hi there all,,

iv been shooting/hunting for quite a while now and was thinking of hunting rats,rabbits,birds ect for farmers land owners and such as a part time job/hobby and was wondering if id need anything legal like certificates and what not to be able to hunt on other peoples property or just need to be a good shot? help would be appreciated..

thanks
    jordan.

2. wizard1963uk

wizard1963uk Donator

first off you will want the land owners permission and i would get insurance too
    atb
    terry

ps where have you already been hunting ?

3. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

If you mean (part time job as in getting a wage) I would have a rethink!! Especially when there are literally thousands of Us Guys who are to willing to do it for free!!!!!!

4. jordanmrt

jordanmrt Member

thanks terry ye thats a good place to start and ye i think insurance is probably a good idea to,, iv dun hunting around somerset a lot mostly every weekend as thats were im from so no the people with land but want to start travelling around for new places.

5. jordanmrt

jordanmrt Member

hi tripleteer,, i mean as if i have to keep going back a few times a week or something id ask for bit of money for diesel or if i have to stay over night specially if im far from home,, i wouldn't do it make money but don't want to loose money ether..

6. harry brown

harry brown Banned

You got two hopes mate, and one of them's called Bob! ;)

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Most of us shooters would travel miles for a permission that gives results and would jump at the chance to do an overnighter or night shooting,just because it gets us outdoors and is more challenging than a club, all for free too ;)

8. kjarva

kjarva Active Member

Yep agreed. Your hard pushed getting a permission round my way for free, let alone asking for money. I've only got the one at the moment and would jump at the chance to do a 2nd even if it was some distance away.

9. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

To the OP ... you need to spend some time on here and you will soon realise that permissions have and are difficult to come by .... all the guys on here I am sure are covered from an insurance perspective via BASC or some similar operation and will travel miles to enjoy their sport/hobby.
    To think you will get any kind of recompense or remuneration is frankly laughable unless you became a game keeper ... apologies if this is taken as me or any other on here pi**ing on your bonfire but its the reality.

10. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

You could do it on a price, some days you could earn £2-£3 per day ;)

11. jordanmrt

jordanmrt Member

hi guys thats fair enough tbh i dont no much about this sort of thing as have only bin shooting on a few plots of land that are friends of mine so thought that some money would be good but as all you guys say its fun to get out and i enjoy hunting and your saying that its hard to find permission and for free,, free is good to me only thought id ask as im only young and money is one thing i dont really have,, so thanks for your honesty rather be told now that im going to have find permission first which isnt easy and theirs not guna be any money in it just hopefully some bunnies to feed on.

12. harry brown

harry brown Banned

Where abouts in Somerset did you live? I assume you are working the summer in Torbay?

13. jordanmrt

jordanmrt Member

i used to live in bridgwater and ye well came to torquay for a part time job and some fun 3 years ago lived here ever since

14. kjarva

kjarva Active Member

Permission hunting is a lot of legwork but have a read at the threads in the hunting forum about getting a permission, all the door knocking and traipsing about to peoples farms is well worth it when you finally get it. I thought I was hard done to having to spend 2 weeks visiting every farm within 20 miles, turns out some people look for years before getting one, so I was just really, really lucky.

I'm working on my 2nd one at the moment and I'm about 90% positive I'll get it but until that permission slip is signed, I'm not holding my breath. The only reason I'm even looking for a 2nd perm is because the rules on my first are a bit odd. All the land for miles about is owned by the same person who rents it to the farmers. He's got no problem with you shooting the rabbits for the farmers but apparently if you shoot pigeons, his gamekeeper makes the assumption that you must be taking potshots at the pheasants as well. So it's just not worth the trouble shooting woodies, even though they are plentiful here, or you could lose the perm.

So we're having to go a bit further afield to find a perm where we can shoot wood pigeons.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You don't say how old you are but if you are a young person and you want to work in the shooting industry, be paid for pest control ect your only real option is to do your game keeping qualifications.
    Game keeping is not all shooting lots of other work besides.
    If you are in a financial position to attend agricultural college for a couple of years and you wish to explore this as an option let me know and I will post some more info.
    Cheers Andy

16. jordanmrt

jordanmrt Member

ye from what iv herd it sound prity hard to find the land and permission i am prity lucky with the land i use but is just the same place evrytime so gets a bit old as u no the places theyll be so isnt really much of a hunt as thats the bit i like,, and ye as u said alot of work but im more than happy knocking on doors to finding new places ,, ye thats a bit bad that he just makes that assumption for no reason but suppose you have to deal with a few people like that time to time iv met few people like that in my line of work isn't ideal specially just to shoot some pigeons lets hope that other one sines and says its okay.

17. jordanmrt

jordanmrt Member

im only 18 years of age,, and thanks i might look into the game keeping but as for the collage side goes i am at a full time job and tbh dont really have the finance to do so as have house/car bills to pay so dont really think id have the time for that sort of thing but could defo look into it. cheers

18. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

There are a couple of routes.
    1 is at your age you could do an apprenticeship. They are run by the agricultural colleges that also teach game and deer management.
    You would get paid while you learn but not a great deal. You would work on an estate part time and be at college part time.

2 is to go into full time education for two years you would get funding to do this to cover your tuition fees and living costs but this again will not be a lot.
    (Apprenticeship funding)

I was very lucky many years ago when I did my qualifications because I received a lot of support from an estate owner. Without this financial support it would be hard for you for a couple of years.

Even once you qualify there are not many full time jobs around and they are poorly paid in many instances. But once you are qualified you will often pick up a lot of bits and bobs of work advising people on setting up shoots ect in addition.

Agricultural colleges that run courses.
    http://www.gamekeeperstrust.org.uk/gamekeepers-and-land-managers/college-courses
    All of these colleges will have an open day normally starting in June your best bet is go along for a chat, phone first to check the game keeping staff will be there.
    I went to Hampshire college of agriculture " sparsholt " reasonably near you and one of the better agricultural colleges for game keeping. They have very good facilities and work closely with one of the largest game shoots in the land.

In addition to pest control ( trapping, snaring, shooting, gassing, ferreting,) you would be.
    Breeding and releasing game birds, managing deer for stalking
    Building release pens
    Feeding watering
    Managing diseases in the birds
    Woodland management
    Planting and maintaining cover crops
    Training gun dogs to be used for pricking up
    Policing the land
    Organising shoots
    Finding responsible people to help with pest control, beat, pick up ect.
    Doing all of the paper work we need these days method statements, risk assessments, Cossh ect
    Helping out on other shoots so other people help you in return.
    Ect ect ect
    Not all walking around with a gun like many people think.
    Cheers Andy

19. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

This Post has been extremely well discussed with lots of interesting ideas, I think it should be stickied for further information purposes about the OP.

20. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

im willing to walk about with a gun and shoot vermin/pests as and when I see them for the bargain price of £200 per day + cost's :D