1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

How True Is It That...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Baltic Plinker, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Baltic Plinker

Baltic Plinker Engaging Member

.....springers or gas-pistons are generally capable of more power than PCP’s?

I ask as I’ve noticed that PCPs seem to often give lower FPS values than sprung guns.

Is it actually the case?

2. Claypole

Claypole Busy Member

Whenever I read about FAC springers, they’re usually between 12 and 20ft lbs, whereas I often read of PCPs that produce a lot more than that. Some PCPs are used in other countries that are .50 cal and used for big game hunting.

In the case of U.K. sub 12 ft lbs rifles, I think PCPs are often deliberately tuned a tiny bit on the lower side in order to make sure they stay legal with different pellets.

foxtrott and Baltic Plinker like this.
  3. warrenater

warrenater Donator

In a word no . have you seen some of the high power pcp rifles that are available ? I own a 30ft lb rapid and a 40 ft lb air ranger in .22 but if you look at some of the larger calibers available these are small fry in comparison. I must be honest though i don't know what the rammers are capable of :)

4. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Busy Member

Not true at all, if you want high energy levels you have to use larger and larger volumes of high pressure air, to build a springer that produces over 30ftlbs would require a rather large, unwieldy weapon, no one would want to carry!

Baltic Plinker likes this.
  5. Claypole

Claypole Busy Member

The more power a springer/ram can produce, the more effort it will take to cock, and the recoil increases too. There comes a point where the power gains are simply impractical...

Baltic Plinker likes this.
  6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Totally false. For any given rifle size and mass an unrestricted PCP platform will be capable of much more muzzle energy; and more importantly will remain a lot more accurate / easier to shoot under these conditions, too.

7. Baltic Plinker

Baltic Plinker Engaging Member

So then it’s just a case of factory settings rather than design potential?

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

No, it's a case of design potential. Again, for a given size the PCP platform is inherently capable of producing far more muzzle energy than a spring-powered equivalent.

9. Patton

Patton Engaging Member

I dont think theres any law of physics that makes one method any more or less inherently capable of achieving high outputs. Packaging it all into a gun might be a different matter once you get to extreme levels, and with the right materials PCP might edge it there, but it's an irrelevance anyway - once you get to those power levels it'd surely be easier to buy a regular pyrotechnic weapon.

10. Sanguinius

Sanguinius Engaging Member

I have a Hatsan Hercules 22 at 12ft.lb. It's available to buy in 45 cal at 292ft.lb. I can't imagine a springer reaching that sort of power.

cloverleaf likes this.
  11. robs5230

robs5230 Pro Poster

The FAC Theoben Eliminator was reputedly 32ftlbs. Most likely never really achieved that figure and a known pig to shoot. The FAC Webley Patriot was similar.
    Pcp's offer a much more user friendly platform for higher powers

TORNADOS7 likes this.
  12. Kadushu

Kadushu Member

Can't imagine a 120ftlbs springer would be much fun to cock or shoot, if you lived to tell the tale.

cloverleaf and Sanguinius like this.
  13. Metanurb

Metanurb Member

USS Vesuvius had 3x15 inch guns fired by compressed air, quite possibly the ultimate in pcp's.

14. PaulB86

PaulB86 Busy Member

I guess it depends on what spring you use in a springer. beyond a certain power level I can't imagine they would be much fun to shoot for long periods.

15. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Pro Poster

It’s not true...

16. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Pro Poster

The “Dual Magnum” was reputed to be 24 and 36 depending on how many times you cocked it, once for 24 and twice for 36...

Apparently the “Eliminator” was a pig at 32 and shot much better at 24...

Kadushu and robs5230 like this.