1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

how to keep gun legal 12fpe

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by busanga, Sep 18, 2014.

1. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

Before the mods get upset , this is NOT a how to adjust power post.

I am wondering if I use an 8gn pellet and the power is say 11.5fpe, then I try a 10gn pellet and power goes over the limit, question is am I supposed to test every single pellet ever made or test every pellet the manufacturers come out with to see if my gun operating on, lets take a common pellet, say jsb exact which I am quite happily using legally , suddenly goes over the limit because some obscure manufacturer comes out with a pellet I never heard off, but happens to work very efficiently IN MY barrel and lo and behold am over limit.

Now if I never heard of that pellet but police happen to use that one and ON MY gun it goes over limit, how can imbed expected to know that.

I know ignorance is no excuse, but how can I test every pellet ever made or yet to be made ?

2. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

You can't, the only thing you can do is test with good pellets at a range of weights, then using the most efficient set your power to 11.0 - 11.3, that leaves you a safe margin for any funnies or specials that may be on the market.

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

As above!!

find the most accurate pellet for your barrel, and set to the low 11's. My rifle will possibly go over with a biz mag or something, as will most,

but it I don't worry about it, but remember some lighter pellets will push more power in a certain rifles. My ultra gets more power from jsb experess 14.4g, compared to its bigger brother at 16g.

4. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

Am thinking to do test with jsb exact, express and heavy and set power 11.6 according to the most 'powerful' of those. I can keep record of that test and in fact post them on here. If in future something bad happens surely that shows reasonable measures were taken to keep legal.

Ps I don't expect anything bad is just a discussion.

5. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

I'd go for under 11.5fpe. If you check it out, the actual POI difference between 10.5 and 11.5 @ 50 yards is pretty insignificant. Given that it takes 4fpe for a clean rabbit kill, a 10.5 fpe rifle will kill further than it can be accurate anyway. 12fpe is a limit, not a goal!:mod:

6. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

Unfortunately doing all the testing and keeping records is no defence. Over powered is an absolute offence although it won't automatically put you in the slammer!
    The power you set is up to you, but bear in mind that IF your rifle was taken for testing you will have more of a twitchy ring at 11.6 than you would at 11.3! :D
    The difference in pellet speed is not a lot, your choice!

7. jasonanderson

jasonanderson Engaging Member

As many have stated power is not the be all and end all. My bsa r10 mk 2 has chronoed at 10.9 since I brought in new and that's with .177 jsb heavys and will still cleanly dispatch any airgun quarry at 45-50 yards off a bipod in good conditions accuracy is much more important than power.

8. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

From what I'm told is that if the police test your gun they test it using 3 different pellet weights, so even though you only use or have one brand of pellet with you when you had the rifle taken away for testing doesn't matter.. Its all down to the rifle being able to exceed the 12ftlb limit.

For a springer its the lighter the pellet the more power it can produce, PCP rifles is the opposition the heavier the more power and co2 the same, depending on which power source my guns are ie a springer I always test its power with the lightest pellet I have then if its in a safe limit I'll then use a slight heavier pellet that's producing good groups for hunting purposes :)

That's what I do to keep my own assncovered :) not sure what others do.

9. trumpetier

trumpetier Major Poster

To the OP, relax. Keep your rifle running low 11,s and ENJOY it :)

10. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

Right on! will see which jsb my hw100 likes best but set power to low 11 using the most powerful pellet (which is not necessarily the most accurate great if it is most powerful of all three AND most accurate)

11. zippo1973

zippo1973 Donator

This ⬆️

12. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

Hi, i am new to PCP and got quite concerned after reading a few threads on the staying legal issue, I have bought a crono and checked power levels using JSB exact jumbos, there is a power spike just below full charge that reaches 11.8, this then falls off and holds at 11.6 before slowly falling further. My feeling is that it may go over power if a certain pellet is used, the rifle is untouched from new, I will not be using a pellet that will cause the rifle to shoot hot and so therefore I am not breaking any law. Surely if a FI officer was to check the gun they would take into consideration the pellets being used by the owner??

13. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

What gun? Is it fitted with AT? For what reason would the police be checking your gun?

No otherwise law abiding air rifle shooter has been prosecuted for having an air rifle just over the limit. However, if a drug dealer/ burglar / A.N other scrote has an air rifle, using a heavy pellet is a nice little tool to put the gun over and add a firearm charge to the list. ;)

14. CJK1965

CJK1965 Banned BANNED

Just as a thought ... if, by trying different brands of pellet, and different grain weights, you get a different power reading for each, do manufacturers state what pellet/weight was used in testing to achieve the stated air weapons power upon point of sale ?

I fail to see how anyone could be prosecuted for having an air weapon that when tested by a nice police person gave a reading of 12.1 lbs because they used a pellet that you dont !

Further to this .... I just did a quick google search for prosecutions of over limit air weapons, seems there have been a few, and some very dodgy looking ones at that, maybe time to apply for a FAC, will be interesting to see what response I get when I say it is for a sub 12lb rifle that I have no clue about but am scared witless that some jobs worth ocd twonk might decide that a stretch inside one of her majesty's hotels would teach me a lesson.

15. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

I know of two cases but not all the details, one was a fisherman who took an air rifle to shoot rats that pestered him at night, not sure for why the police were called but he went to jail. another is a sort of friend who did not go to jail but does have a criminal record for firearms offences, great to discuss at job interviews, he was shooting in his back garden and a neighbor called the police, it was an old springer and only just over ..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  16. CJK1965

CJK1965 Banned BANNED

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

18. CJK1965

CJK1965 Banned BANNED

Since when is it the shooters responsibility ? I do not own a chrono, I have no clue what my rifle is putting out, I dont care either, it does what I want it to do, though I doubt if it is pushing over the 12lb.
    I am not trying to flame anyone with the above, just asking for the point to be clarified.

19. mattyts

mattyts Donator

It's been the shooters responsibility for years,it's your duty to make sure it's under 12 ftlb.

Would you not care about your rifles power if it was over? That's a pretty odd mindset to have considering it could be jail time if it's over and all you have to do is spend 5 minutes with a chrono.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  20. CJK1965

CJK1965 Banned BANNED

Well firstly I would have to buy one (chrono), which is not going to happen, second, could you reference the legislation that states it is our duty please.

Given that power is related to grain weight, and given that grain weight varies wildly from pellet to pellet, if today I use an accupell which keeps me sub 12 lb but tomorrow I use a Bisley Mag that might push it to 12.1, then to be perfectly honest and frank about it, no, I couldnt give a toss. Let common sense prevail and stop the petty interfering with people who are not attempting to break a law deliberately.