1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

How quiet is "quieter"?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Dag, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

i've been reading some ads for the new Air Arms Q Tec silencer and something doesn't seem quite right.
    The Air Arms ad states that "Airgunners can enjoy a much quieter shooting experience, as the QTec is 7.5db quieter than the leading moderator on the market."
    Whereas an ad by Pellpax and other suppliers states the silencer is "10.92% quieter than the leading market moderator"
    Now it's some time since I was involved in noise levels but I understood a 6dB reduction to be a halving of noise level in which case 7.5dB would be significantly greater than a 50% reduction.
    So one ad would appear to show a noise reduction some 5 times greater than the other.
    It's highly likely that in my dotage I have got things wrong but perhaps those with a greater knowledge of noise levels and reduction could comment or put me straight.
    Dag:confused:

2. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

It depends what they're referring to, they probably aren't comparing like for like & will be rounding up & down like nobodies business anyway, plus the gun used will be a factor.
    If the original noise is 70ish db then that could explain the percentage?

3. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

I would like to know which they class as the leading market moderator?

4. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

Decibels are on a logarithmic scale and a reduction of 3 db is halving the noise level

5. sej016

sej016 Donator

dB is a relative measurement, not an absolute measurement. It is the relationship between one value (reference) and another.

If the noise level was reduced from 70dB by 7.5dB, that represents an approximate 10% reduction in dB levels.

But it represents a greater reduction in absolute levels, as a 3dB reduction is half the noise level. Another 3dB halves it again.

The standard (absolute) reference sound pressure in air or other gases is 20 µPa, which is usually considered the threshold of human hearing (at 1 kHz).

6. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I understood a reduction of 3dB to be a halving of the noise source rather than the noise level eg two lawnmowers or motorbikes reducing to one.
    I can understand the suggestion of 10% being 7dB when the original noise level was 70dB but that's a very low, almost a background, noise level. However it could be a copywriters lack of understanding logarithmic scales.
    Dag

7. sej016

sej016 Donator

That has to be 70dB relative to something else. In this case I would assume it to be against standard Sound pressure level (SPL) mentioned above.

70dB is the level of a hand-held electric mixer.

Traffic on a busy roadway at 10 m - 80 to 90 dB

8. rkr

rkr Keyboard Hero

If we want useful results we should compare one silencer against another in same enviroment at the same time period while using a recorder that can sample 96 kHz or more. Well, at least I've got rather useful results with that setup. The worst case is someone recording the noise level with their mobile phone app, when I tried that I got 30 dB variance over a long string of shots.

9. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

Yes. The apps are a waste of time. I tried several and the variation was unbelievable

10. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Some interesting replies guys but returning to my original question are these two statements compatible or not?
    Dag

11. 177

177 Donator

I compared one with a Weihrauch unit recently, both on identical .22 HW100 rifles, and the Weihrauch sounded noticeably quieter as measured by my Mk 1 ear.

They have a different 'note' though, so it may be that an improvement in volume reduction is compromised by a 'sharper' sound at the muzzle.

Three of us were there and we all agreed the Weihrauch sounded the quieter of the two.

Marketing is full of absolutely meaningless statements in an effort to sell products.

Example:

"the QTec is 7.5db quieter than the leading moderator on the market"

That tells us precisely nothing of value since the benchmark is not named.

"Leading moderator" could (and probably does) simply refer to the most sold model, not necessarily the best performing model.

I keep coming back to the how quiet are people wanting or expecting question.

A nicely worked up PCP with a Weihrauch unit up front is close enough to silent for me to not be concerned too much about whether or not something else can actually deliver on the promises of being quieter.

Having been downrange of my mate shooting a rig like this, I couldn't even tell he was shooting until the pellet impacted.

Whatever Air Arms are claiming and however they choose to spin the 'facts' I hope for their sake the product lives up to expectation - I wouldn't give the same money a Weihrauch unit costs for it having heard them side by side, let alone the higher price they are asking.

Some online reviews (not the shooting comic reviews, the ones where people have actually bought them) aren't overwhelming in their praise.

The RFD I was at when I asked for a comparison said the same as me after he had let me hear them.

So it might be quieter than a Weihrauch, but it certainly didn't sound like it to me.

That's about as much as I can offer.

12. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

i've yet to see (ok hear) anything beat a Weihrauch yet but i am about to get a Huggett in the next week or two and i'm hoping i haven't wasted my money

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

1/2 UNF thread on a toilet tube,about the only thing that will make it quieter on comparison :p

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  14. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

To my ear the huggett was louder than the HW, but only at the shooters end!!

but down range the huggett won the prize, the vents on the hugget prevents some of the blast going straight out the front, so less directed at your quarry:)

15. rkr

rkr Keyboard Hero

A correctly modified HW will more quiet than a standard HW. A good shroud will also be more quiet. Here are some noise measurements I did when I added Hugget type vents to one of my HWs:

[​IMG]

16. Stevie Darling

How many, and what location were the holes mate:)

17. rkr

rkr Keyboard Hero

Six holes, right where the empty part of the tube starts for the first chamber from the muzzle. I had to use two layers of felt at the first chamber or it would blow too much air out.

18. critter

critter Donator

Thanks for that write up .177 you will have saved alot of people some cash.
    :rolleyes:

19. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I'm going to return to this subject as I think even the airgun press can get things seriously wrong when it comes to the physics behind the subject of sound levels.
    As we have seen from some of the responses to my OP it would seem as though it is generally accepted that as the dB scale is logarithmic a reduction in sound level of 3 dB is a halving of the sound level ( I had thought it was a halving of the sound source eg one motor bike instead of two, and that a halving of sound level was 6dB).
    Anyway in this months Airgun Shooter the very silencer I originally referred to, ie the Air Arms Q-Tec in both .177 and .22, has been tested by Nigel Allen.
    The sound levels recorded without a silencer fitted were 112.4dBA and 112.8dBA respectively. With the Q-Tec silencer fitted the readings were 92.1dBA and 90.0dBA which gave sound reductions of 20.3dBA and 22.8dBA respectively.
    If each 3dBA is a halving over the previous level then a reduction of over 20dBA is a massive suppression of sound levels. Yet the article shows noise suppression as the % difference in readings and this results in reductions of 18.06% and 20.21% only.
    So is Mr Allen correct in his findings or is he doing Air Arms an injustice and their new silencer is in fact far more efficient than he thinks?
    Dag

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  20. Stevie Darling

The only way any of the aa silencers work, is when the rifle is empty:D

I've never rated them, the rifles are superb, but silencers are Censored.