1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question how old were you , when you were first introduced to airgunning/shooting/hunting ?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by oldbugger, Oct 9, 2014.

1. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

as above, i was 5 under the supervision of me granddad, ex ww2 soldier, i used to stay with me nan an grandad during the school holidays cos me mum an dad both worked, he used to have an old...very old diana .177 smoothbore rifle, wouldnt shoot waisted pellets, and a winchester i think, bolt action.22 rimmy hanging over my uncles old bed, and i as a lad showed an interest in them, strange really cos me granddad was one of the first peeps done under the new firearms laws coming into play, he,d gone to buy pellets and bullets to teach me whats what,he did get done for having an unlicensed firearm , he didnt know the law had been changed i cant remember what the penalty was, but the rimmy was confiscated, and more than likely destroyed, anyway, he did teach me the wherewithal about guns in general, and me dad an ex royal marine carried it on, both were really good shots, and i as a kid thoroughly enjoyed my time with them both, my grandad taught me to shoot, and my dad later down the line, taught me to hunt and be quiet , i still carry the memories of my time with em both fondly, they,re both gone now, but i have tried to pass on what i learned then to both my lads, sorry if i rambled a bit there :rolleyes:

2. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

HI There. TEN! And that's 68 years ago.

3. Whistler1

Whistler1 Donator

In my mis spent youth,i used to stand on the canal bank across from my house,with an air rifle called somthing somthing paratrooper.
    I was utterly disapointed with the whole setup,when it woud not smash beer bottles in the water,that must have been about 100 Yards away:eek::p:D...

4. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Finally Dunks has revealed his age! :D :hail2:

5. bl4de

bl4de Donator

I was a late developer. 15 when my Dad bought me my first Air rifle ( HW 35E ) From what was then Trapshot of Lye now D.A.I Merry hill, and i'm still using the same RFD 35 yrs later !

6. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

hah, i used to have the paratrooper repeater asi as i recall, got a right bollickin for shooting the telephone cable to our house :eek: me mum wasnt happy

7. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

and long may you continue.......even older b****r :up:

8. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Got my first air rifle in 1963 when I was fifteen, a BSA Cadet and I loved it, I had my first shotun at 16, I been involved in shooting since then, I have been a gun dog trainer (owning quite a few myself) I have shot all over Scotland too. And now I am back full circle with my BSA Superten. atb Paul.

9. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

About 14 ... old gamekeeper on an estate local to me caught me scrumping apples in an old orchard and then proceeded to show me his collection and we spent the rest of the day shooting apples with all sorts from .177 to 12 bore SG ! Remember that he had an old GSD with three legs ... used to have all 4 until it had a bit of a scrap with a boar badger caught in a gin type trap affair ! Happy days :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  10. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Used to do this at close range also in the canal with Webley pistols. We didn't so much break them as slowly beat them to death!!!
    Took a lot of pellets to eventually sink one.

11. Whistler1

Whistler1 Donator

Paratrooper Repeater....that rings a bell :up:

12. themadspread

themadspread Donator

being the youngest of 4 boys and our house backing onto a large university wood i cant remember not being around air guns of all types.i bet if you went out in those woods now youd have armed response helicopters everywhere and nicked in no time.

13. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

I was 6 when my dad first introduced me into shooting.
    He had always had shotguns and air rifles which I was always fascinated by.

My 1st shots were with a single 12G shotgun with a 410 adapter fitted and I was aiming at and hitting glass bottles at an old bottle dump on the edge of a wood from about 20 yards.

Happy days!

14. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

My father had a glass case one the wall in thefront room he made when he was at school. It contained S\S 12 bore, Remmington 6 shot plump, S/S 16 bore and a bolt action 12 bore goose gun, my brothers and i used to play with then for.

But it was my grandfather who taught me to shoot at 6/7 with his holland and holland 9mm garden gun. He'd let me take lead and walk round the apple orchard and veg patch looking for vermin.

I was like a young Elmer Fudd sneeking round the farm. 10/11 I started using air rifles, what happy days and they have continued even now at 42.

Andrew

15. happydad

happydad Engaging Member

47, very late starter! Have made up for it in the last 2yrs and it's cost a bloody fortune:D have bought and owned 12 rifle's and numerous scopes:rolleyes: hate to think of the amount of pellets I've gone through trying out different set ups:( and can't stop tinkering with them, even to the extent of making my own spray booth in my garage when my son said that he would like red and black strips on his 78:D. shot FT for a year now shoot HFT:up: and even do a bit of hunting now and then, my first kill was pigeon 30y up a tree, free standing head shot with a BSA Spitfire, my shooting partners and the farmer we as impressed as I was surprised:D. Shoot twice a week and get withdrawn symptoms if I don't, and I'm a member of 5 air gun forums, yep total ait gun nut, can't get enough, shame my kid's aren't as enthusiastic and no problem with the wife..... Don't have one:):):)

ATB
    Mike

16. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    was a v late starter myself ...... grand old age of 47 ! got into it to keep matty company, who started at the tender age of 13. now, i tend to spend more time messing and tinkering with them, but i'm happy.

17. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

I remember being around 9yrs old sitting next to my dad shooting rats in the garden, at 10yr old i nailed my 1st rat with dads mk1 meteor that ive sneaked from his wardrobe while he was at work, i was so exited i told him as soon as he arrived home only to recieve a thick ear for using the gun without him being there, he later made me go through everything just to make sure i respected what id done, never been without a airgun since, 41yrs of looking over my shoulder just before taking a shot looking for my oldman making sure that im sure...
    Andrew [elkhunter] [But it was my grandfather who taught me to shoot at 6/7 with his holland and holland 9mm garden gun. He'd let me take lead and walk round the apple orchard and veg patch looking for vermin. ] the same as,grandad loved his garden gun,ammo he used were ferro 9mm i think they were called,im reminising now..atb Dave

18. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

When I was 9 my dad bought the copy of Airgunner where the Theoben Rapid 7 was first unveiled. I remember reading it when he'd finished and that was me :) I bought the two mags almost religiously with my pocket money after that.
    At age 13 I bought a crappy old no name .22 break barrel for £8 from a car boot sale with open sights - my first rifle.
    When I was 14 he bought me a used Webley Vulcan in .22 from an auction with an Apollo 2* 4x32 scope on it, and I thought it was the mutts nuts. He'd actually bought me a HW80 to begin with, with a Tasco Silver Antler 4x32 on it, but decided it was far too heavy for me so he had that one and I got the Vulcan and we'd go out together.

19. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

I was 3 when my father first gave me a Diana Repeater .177 (I still have it too). I remember we lived in Southampton in Married Quaters as dad was in the forces, we had just arrived from Singapore where he was stationed.... I remember sitting on dads lap shooting into a metal waste paper bin at a red plastic cowboy that stood up in the bin :) and in all fairness I have been around firearms all my life. Thanks for this topic OP, these have been memories that have been put in a dusty part of my mind.... now being 51 it was a while ago but now as crisp and sharp as if it was yesterday... :up:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  20. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

My brother had this, the mag always chewed up the pellets if you weren't careful but if you were you could do some really rapid fire plinking!