1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

How Long Do You Wait?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by Japseroony, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Japseroony

Japseroony Well-Known Member

So having been a clay shooter with 12 bore shotguns and an avid long range air rifle shooter (100+ yards with a sub 12lb ft) I recently went shooting up to Otterburn (on the military range) as a guest and decided to apply for my FAC.

I joined 2 shooting clubs (£100 each), attended the courses and became an NRA certificate holder and on the 8th Dec last year I applied for my FAC.

I was advised to run both licenses together and as such paid the extra £2 to do this and my cheque was cashed in mid December.

After waiting 6 months and hearing nothing I called the local firearms department and was advised they were working through the applications and renewals and to just wait.

Eventually I was called and on the 30th July I had my interview, which seemed to go well, and the officer took my SGC away with him to send them both back which I thought was a positive thing and was expecting my FAC and SGC to be sent to me imminently.

I have had nothing so called them on Friday to be told they are looking at Sept applications and will get to Oct, Nov and Dec in due course but it might well be next year!!

Is this too long and should I call BASC to see if they can help?

2. Jethro.P

Jethro.P Engaging Member

Seems strange for him to take your SGC away with him, as I too applied for my FAC and for it to
    run coterminously and my my FEO said to destroy my SGC when my new licenses arrived

r10hunter and metalman like this.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Posting Addict

Way too long to have to wait.:facepalm:

Blobby159 likes this.
  4. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You should have been left with your shotgun certificate and asked to return it when the new one arrived how are you supposed to buy cartridges at a gun shop or prove your eligibility at a clay shoot?

Mortimer and Blobby159 like this.
  5. Blobby159

Blobby159 Engaging Member

Agreeing here with BOTH "Buckshot" and "r10hunter" with their comments. This is quite an unacceptable waiting period to be honest "Japseroony"!! I would most certainly have a chat with one of the Officials in BASC to see what leverage they can offer for you...

I am under "Herts, Beds & Bucks" Firearms Unit and had my coterminous ticket returned by regular post last week, and it took them a total of a little over SIX Weeks in turn around. They were really excellent though as, cos of personal illness, I was VERY LATE with my application turn in!!..

GOOD LUCK with your application and I truly hope you can get this sorted, but QUICKLY!!

Kind Regards,
    Blobbs.....

ATB ..... and shoot safely

6. Japseroony

Hi All and thank you for the advice/comments.

When I called them last week they said they would happily send me my SGC back if I needed it for any reason and then when my FAC was being produced I could either send in my SGC or drop it off with them but it would delay the process by a few days!

As I have enough cartridges to last me I said I would just leave it with them as I did not want to delay the process any further!!

Will give BASC a call tomorrow :thumb:

7. Japseroony

So on the 27th August I was told they were looking at Sept 2020 applications and decided to email BASC for help.

Had a phone call from the local BASC rep who said it was an extremely long time to wait and he would get the firearms chap (Alan) to call Northumbria FAD for an update but he was on holiday so to wait.

Got an email from Alan on the 7th Sept saying he had spoken to the head of the firearms department and they were still looking at Sept 2020 applications due to staff shortages due to Covid! She also said to him that it would take a further 3 months to get to Dec 2020 as a minimum but I could have my SGC back if i needed it!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet again the good old "Covid" excuse strikes again - when will this country stop looking for excuses and get a grip on reality :rolleyes:

8. Herb64

Herb64 Posting Addict

That is quite unbelievable. You have a PM

Blobby159 likes this.
  9. dot1dog

dot1dog Donator

Hi Japserooney i have just joined Mayfair to start the FAC process what is the force Durham or Northumbria i do know durham take there time as i know someone who took over a year for his Shotgun ticket, Northumbria used to be fast.

Blobby159 likes this.
  10. Japseroony

Depending on what you intend to shoot you might have been better off joining Tyne Valley club as Mayfair only shoot .22 - Tyne Valley shoot out of Pont Park and at the moment up to 300 yards.

My application is in with Northumbria :down:

11. Blobby159

Blobby159 Engaging Member

If that applicant wasn't bothered by any "Previous"... then that kind of treatment from his Local Firearms Unit is simply(???) UNACCEPTABLE!! Over a YEAR just waiting??? Hell's Bells!.... I'd have been walking up and down outside their Offices with a placard and megaphone and making my feelings rather well known long before then.... That is just APPALLING, and a few other choice words too that would be erm.... removed on here!!..

We pay good money for the Service of having our firearms requests considered and passed (or not), and that is what we SHOULD be receiving for that fee.... A SERVICE!! The people in these particular Firearms Certification Units - all around our Fair Land - are there and are paid for by US, by both these specifically calculated Fees, and in part through our local taxes, to give us (generally squeaky clean) shooters the Necessary Management of our Certificates...

There will be times when this process gets delays - such as when the Staffing gets adversely impacted by low numbers of "bums on seats" as in this recent Viral Epidemic, but if they are doing their jobs WELL, even ACCEPTABLY, I'd suggest that an element of Customer Contact in the very least should be something that occurs, so we know WHY there are delays - even if the reasons are somewhat tenuous!!...

I know this will be something done by most/all of you poor guys impacted by these awful delays, but in the very least my advice is to get into contact with someone in those offices, by phone AND emails if at all possible.

Be POLITE but Consistent AND Persistent!!

If YOU don't hassle them THEY are perfectly entitled to think that You don't put the situation you are suffering very high on your list of important things in your life, and act accordingly. If someone keep plugging away at them - POLITELY - they will likely get dealt with more urgently if the problems at the FAC Offices are Staffing Numbers or whatever...

ALSO, get into contact with someone in the BASC or whatever Shooter Representative Organisation you are a member of, and tell THEM of your problems and ask for THEIR HELP & ADVICE in these circumstances.

And keep a personal record of any and all your interactions and contacts so that you have something written and easy to fall back on if things don't improve for whatever reason.

GOOD LUCK
    Blobbs....

ATB ..... and shoot safely

zeeco likes this.
  12. dot1dog

dot1dog Donator

Hi Blobbs yep agree with you but the lad was concerned about phoning them all the time incase he got put to the bottom off the pile it did become a running joke at the time between the lads,this was 5 year ago mind as my SGC is up for renewal now but i must say at the time from application to getting my ticket through the door was 6 weeks so can only applaud the Northumbrian force,things have obviously changed and suspect a backlog due to Covid,Another 3 month before i can apply for FAC so hopefully they caught up.

Thanks

Chris

Blobby159 likes this.
  13. dot1dog

dot1dog Donator

Hi Japseroony yep probably go down that route aswell in the future shooting Benchrest (DCSRA) with air at the moment fancy trying it with the .22lr, My mate is already member of Mayfair so was the best route to take at the moment.

Cheers Chris