1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

How Does Barrel Length Affect Power?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Josh K, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Josh K

Josh K Self proclaimed AGF luckiest member

Firstly this is not a post about how to increase power on a rifle.

I was looking through threads earlier when I started reading about another members Crosman 2250 and that he had put a 22 inch barrel on it. Someone else urged caution about it potentially increasing the ft lb above the legal limit.

Why does increasing the barrel length increase the power? I assumed that the propellant ( co2 in this case) along with the mechanics of the gun itself dictated the power? What is the physics etc behind it?

2. Popgun

Popgun Donator

the propellant ( air ) is behind the pellet for longer, unlike a bullet where the propellant is expended in a predetermined distance within the barrel

Josh K likes this.
  3. John Harrigan

John Harrigan Verified Dinosaur

Succinct

4. Josh K

That makes sense! Thank you.

5. Cinimod

Cinimod Busy Member

I think it's all to do with amount of time that the Co2 has to build up its max pressure in an enclosed space i.e the barrel. As soon as the pellet exits, no more push behind and that's it at it's max power.
    That's why crosman can use the same mechanical bits it's the length that ups the power plus a few other self tune things that can be done.
    There does become a point that the co2 will expand no more and then friction takes over with the pellet still in the barrel and starts to slow. I think if memory serve me will that for a crocs an rifle 18" is best length and taking an inch off at a time decreased power in a specific time. I'll see if I can find it.........dom

short-carabine and Kev The Fish like this.
  6. Josh K

Very useful to know. Using those principles, I'm assuming that a silencer doesn't add to the power due to the internal design with baffles etc as there is room for the air to expand inside?

7. Cinimod

Cinimod Busy Member

It's also to do with the initial working pressure of the gun. A pcp runs at high pressure so delivers a sharp force to the pellet which can accelerate the pellet more quickly whereas co2 runs at lower pressure so needs the enclosed length of barrel to help build up pressure, a bit more 'torquey'......dom

Buckshot, Kev The Fish and Josh K like this.
  8. Cinimod

Cinimod Busy Member

Correct, as soon as the skirt of the pellet leaves the crown no more power will be transferred.....dom

Josh K likes this.
  9. robs5230

robs5230 леший

In PCP and C02 the propellant is still expanding when the pellet exits the barrel. Power continues to develop whilst that expansion is still taking place.
    I'm unaware of a co2 or PCP rifle that has a barrel that long, that air or co2 stops expanding before pellet exits.

10. Cinimod

Cinimod Busy Member

Also, especially with co2, temp will also add to the equation........dom

Buckshot likes this.
  11. Cinimod

Cinimod Busy Member

12. Jay Butts

Jay Butts Donator

13. Simonix

Simonix Engaging Member

I had a SMK CP2 pistol/carbine kit.

As soon as you fitted the longer barrel in the kit, it upped the power from just under 6ft/lbs, to about 8-9ft/lbs.

Clever these Chinese..... ;-)

Rincewind666 likes this.
  14. short-carabine

short-carabine Engaging Member

18" best for 2250s- IIRC some guy on the Crosman Owners Forum did a series of tests showing minimal gain beyond that. Hmm the Pyramidair link contradicts that!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  15. ped

ped Posting Addict

Carls data was on a pumper where he cut down a 24" barrel an 1" at a time and recorded the data
    Tom Gaylords article that 18" is the optimum length is incorrect also for co2 as provided you can supply the co2 the longer barrel will give more fps
    you do start getting into diminishing returns eventually
    I do have a copy of the pumper data and this will be comparable to a pcp
    I may still have the results of testing some std valves versus tuned valves using 3 length barrels -14.5" - 18" - 24" using co2 and regulated air @ 850psi using a powerlet eliminator so a small plenum
    to test the co2 I used a fresh co2 for each barrel and valve type- I'm told Tom used the same cart for his testing the barrels and by the time he got to the long barrel he was low on co2 and got the results he did
    one thing to note is 2250's with barrels longer than 14.5" look pretty silly especially when a silencer is added

short-carabine likes this.
  16. short-carabine

short-carabine Engaging Member

Looks like the article I read was flawed then, Ped.:oops: I upgraded my 2250 to an 18" barrel this year which yielded more FPS...as you say lobbing a really long barrel on a 2250 does look a bit silly. Mine doesn't look too bad with a slightly longer barrel and a mod on the end. Like to keep my Ratty portable and pointable!

Jay Butts likes this.
  17. pjgtech

pjgtech Bah Humbug.......

Yep, longer barrel = more power.
    My SMK Victory CP2 puts out less than 6ft/lb in its pistol format, eg: shorter barrel and puts out about 8ft/lb in its carbine format, eg: longer barrel.

18. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Pro Poster

Interesting...

Is this also why amazon tribesmen’s really long blowpipes are so effective ?

I’ve often wondered how a little native guy can get the puff to drive a poisoned dart a few inches long into a monkeys hide way up in a tree canopy

A decent PCP would struggle !

Josh K and Jay Butts like this.
  19. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Busy Member

If i were an amazon monkey ......

I'd be keeping an eye out for a native guy with a big puff.

Lev Levvin likes this.
  20. TopDog

TopDog Well-Known Member

Hi all

Just stumbled across this on one of my all too infrequent trawls and it reminded me of some work I did a while ago, albeit with springer test rifles.

I think it generally bears out the notions mentioned so far and also may add some more food for thought!

The report is available as a PDF at;

http://freepdfhosting.com/9c935e9e65.pdf

Hope you enjoy it! May even start looking at some of these issues again sin ce it's been a while!

Happy Airgunning.

atvb
    David

John Harrigan likes this.