1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

How Do I Start?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Neptune, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Neptune

Neptune Busy Member

Okay some (cough) years ago as a teenager I had a white fibreglass 3 piece rod and a Shakespeare (?) reel some hooks floats and line. I drowned some maggots, quite a lot actually and occasionally when I wound in there was something scaly on the end. Not that often though.
    None of your flash nets, seats and boxes a Woolworths carrier bag and some sarnies was about it.
    Anyway, the idea of staring at a float again appeals, in case I'm wrong I don't intend spending a fortune, where the hell do I start, everything looks bloody expensive (and technical)? Spending a fortune visiting a fishing hole then finding I hate it is a possibility and anyway if I want to spend money on something I won't use I'll by another rifle. I don't know anyone else who fishes but I can tie a mean granny knot. I'm not going to travelling the length and breadth of the country but Essex appears to have plenty of muddy puddles to visit.
    I have been sea fishing, caught sod all one time but there again out of 6 on the boat only 1 person caught anything, I caught 1 the next time. I'm probably not a natural
    You probably have some idea of my level of knowledge - I'm asking about fishing on an air gun site
    Tips/Websites/Equipment/Books or you really don't want to start advice gratefully received.

2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

@mikeyhall1 is the font of all knowledge when it come to maggot drowning .... just make sure he gives you an AGF discount on any Nash gear he tries to flog you ;):D

mikeyhall1 and Neptune like this.
  3. Wurzel1

Wurzel1 Engaging Member

I’m as far removed from an expert as possible as a kid we just did exactly as you described! But I’m getting back into it and I’ve picked up a book called river cottage handbook no.6 sea fishing. From eBay I’m about 30 pages in but it explains things really well so far I would recommend it

Neptune likes this.
  4. Wurzel1

Wurzel1 Engaging Member

upload_2021-1-10_15-18-3.jpeg upload_2021-1-10_15-18-3.jpeg

Neptune likes this.
  5. Neptune

Neptune Busy Member

I just put Nash fishing in Google, got a bollocking from Google apparently I meant angling and came up with a site that had Chod Links and Ronnie Claw (I think I went to school with him) I might need some serious help or at least a translator.

Now we are in the ball park a second hand numpties guide, I'm going to start primarily with freshwater (see I'm learning all the technical terms) but I know if I get offered the chance to freeze my nuts off at sea I'll say yes

Thanks chaps, keep it coming

That hurts and Wurzel1 like this.
  6. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Beast of Bodmin !!

Depends how close you are to the coast... and what part of the coast...for sea angling

I’ve been an avid angler, coarse (freshwater) carp (also freshwater) beach (sea) and boat (like beach but with added puke) since I was 7 years old... sadly, due to my own and my wife’s health needs I havnt looked at my fishing gear in six years

This time of year is when sea fishing is very productive due to cod and whiting venturing close to shore for us to reach them with a reasonable lob

the best way to find local hot spots is to ask a local tackle shop.

I love sea fishing but it’s a very hardy branch of the sport,,, on beach at night in icy cold often raining weather... which is the most productive !!!
    Good waterproofs, head torch and a petrol lantern for warmth are a must !!!

we have a good little lake on our farm full of carp and other coarse fish, it’s private so has barely seen a hook in 300 years !!!

81963ACB-FDD8-4405-997A-17CBABBBC98C.jpeg

sadly I can look at it from my cottage daily but can’t get to it easily... sob

I have to be near my wife 24/7 to attend to her toilet needs etc

trebike0 and foxtrott like this.
  7. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Where in Essex are you mate? I ask because I’ll point you to a great shop in your area - in this instance the tackle shop is your friend.

I love float fishing, and make sure I pull away from carp fishing a few times a year to enjoy a day watching a float, also a feeder rod.

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t get a rod, reel, line, floats, split shot, hooks/hook links, net, unhooking mat, bait box, bag to put it in, something to sit on, bait and catapult for less than £150.

Whilst the catalogue shops are enticing with their full set ups, but all the mainstream firms such as Fox, Drennan, Shimano, Daiwa and even Middy do budget lines yet the quality is good.

PS - don’t forget your rod licence ;)

Lev Levvin, Nubble and foxtrott like this.
  8. mikeyhall1

@Neptune Nash is a Carp fishing tackle & bait company, of which I’m a sales manager for.

It’s likely that if you really get into angling then you’ll have a go for the big carp.

foxtrott likes this.
  9. mikeyhall1

You still owe me for all that Korda and Fox gear :p

That hurts and foxtrott like this.
  10. foxtrott

foxtrott I'll be back

I'm fox by name nash by nature :D:D

11. mikeyhall1

And a kn0b in life, but we like you :p

Ashley keylock and foxtrott like this.
  12. foxtrott

foxtrott I'll be back

Wow even northerners have feelings :oops:
    Oh no we don't F you :laff:

Bunyip, Ashley keylock and mikeyhall1 like this.
  13. mikeyhall1

Good comeback buddy :claping:

Bunyip and foxtrott like this.
  14. foxtrott

foxtrott I'll be back

Lol :D love u pal :thumb:

mikeyhall1 likes this.
  15. foxtrott

foxtrott I'll be back

Can't wait to get fishing again pal with you and @Blackmax really do miss it. We can take the pis# in person then. And add a few beers lol :thumb:

mikeyhall1 likes this.
  16. Cammie1314

Cammie1314 Doric spikkin teuchter

I've never understood this English obsession with tiddler snatching heehee. Seriously though spent some quality time on the Norfolk Broads on a wee row boat watching a float, it's hypnotic! Caught all sorts. All done on a 13' float rod, a wee reel, 3lb line, some weird floats and a no 16 hook. Happy days

foxtrott likes this.
  17. mikeyhall1

Same here mate, we would’ve waited long enough by the time it finally happens.

foxtrott likes this.
  18. Neptune

Neptune Busy Member

@mikeyhall1
    Thanks for your offer of help
    I’m near Brentwood.
    Any terms of reference for beginners- books, sites, you tube I can look at?

19. mikeyhall1

From Brentwood I’d go to Keswalls Angling Centre in Collier Row. They’re on reduced hours but give them a bell, ask for Mark and say Mikey Hall is sending you - you’ll get looked after ;)

Anglers Mail website is always a good place to start, YouTube wise I’d type in waggler float fishing and you’ll get absolutely thousands of videos, mostly good.

To add to my previous list.....

Hook disgorger - very important.

Not quite sure what Marks got in stock, as everyone has taken up angling since the first lockdown and stock in many cases is a bit sparse as supply is failing to keep up with demand.

Mark’s a great bloke, become friendly mate and he’ll see you right :)

foxtrott and Neptune like this.
  20. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

At this time of year, don't buy any equipment, just go and sit on the bank. You will catch just as much as every one else and the real bonus is you will find out if sitting doing nothing on the bank in the freezing cold is really worth spending a load of money on :)

Neptune and Dag Hammar like this.