1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question How do I not break the law?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by colwyn, May 31, 2015.

1. colwyn

colwyn Active Member

Given the law as stated below, how am I to get my air rifle home from the shop without breaking the law?

s19 of the 1968 Firearms Act says as follows;

“Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

(a) a loaded shot gun,

(b) an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

(c) any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d) an imitation firearm.”

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

U have a justifying reason when taking it home from purchase dont get caught up in the printed laws I've never once been stopped and asked What I'm doing with a gun case on my back

3. andy46

andy46 Donator

in the boot of your car,like everyone might do,no law getting broke

4. colwyn

colwyn Active Member

Thanks Dave.

5. colwyn

colwyn Active Member

Nice one Andy :)

6. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Same as the rest,

never been stopped, or had any unwanted attention:)

7. jasonanderson

jasonanderson Engaging Member

You could carry it home on a bus or other form of public transport as long as it's covered eg in a gunslip/case

8. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

Depending on where you are, and what your doing, it doesn't need to be covered. We walked from Ripon racecourse back to camp, skirting the city centre. Two police were in a car at a set of traffic lights, we walked right past, without any concern from the police. We were dressed in CS95, not ******* around, just walking quick. The reason for not covering the rifles at the moment in time is irrelevant in this instance, it proves it doesn't need to be covered.

9. Cam.

Cam. Registered

Please be aware that the boot of your car is public place as far as the Law is concerned.

However, carrying a gun that you have just purchased back to your home counts as "reasonable excuse". What else could you reasonably do?

10. Pistol p

Pistol p Busy Member

I got stopped early one morning with two shotguns and cartridges in the boot of my car. The police didn't know, but questioned where I was going( dressed in camo).After telling them that the vehicle contained firearms, they checked my number plate, didn't ask to see my cert and jogged on. Apparently the paperwork involved when a firearm is involved in a stop check is horrendous.

11. Cam.

Cam. Registered

The reason they "jogged on" was because your firearms are logged on the PNC system against, a) your home address and, b) your car reg.

Nowt to do with any burden of paperwork!

12. andy46

andy46 Donator

I didn't mean for the op just to be riding around with it in the boot of his car while he was shopping,just like you said,to and from a gun shop or permission

13. SteveO

SteveO Squinty

I know the police can search any vehicle they see fit but how can a car boot be deemed a public place?

I have control over who has access to my boot and I don't invite the public to look or dip into it whenever they feel like it.

Link to legislation please?

14. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

As long as you don't act an arse you can carry your gun from home to your place of shooting and back again.
    If you walk around with a gun and ammo in a public place I guess the police will want to know why and they have every right to ask
    Just be sure your answer and reason is satisfying to them

15. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yes,I always thought the definition of a public place was somewhere that the public have a free right of access to which is not the boot of anybodies car.

16. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

I love living out in the sticks :D

17. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Lol ~ local Police use mountain bikes eh! :D

18. Zachariah

Zachariah Engaging Member

I suppose sometimes its acase of what they dont know. For instance if I go from home to my gun club with my rifle in the boot of my car and stop off at the bank to get some money that might be a problem. Only if course if anyone knows whats in the boot. If I have a breakdown how would I get home with my gun? Taxi? Bus? Walk?

19. Treecreeper

Treecreeper Based

I think that the way the law looks at this is that if you have anything in your car that could be classed as a weapon, then you could in theory, be charged with possession of an offensive weapon in a public place. I don't think it has anything to do with the public having access to a weapon in our vehicles, it's more about us having access to a weapon in our vehicle when in a public place. I can't give you a link to any legislation on this but I am speaking from personal experience... :(

20. SteveO

SteveO Squinty

I understand what you are saying, hopefully the police will see from placing the gun in the boot safely that you are a responsible person, I know having it just laying on the back seat is a bad move but unfortunately that is the way one of my vehicles works as it does not have a boot/separate rear luggage compartment.