1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

homemade biltong

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by igual88, Jun 25, 2014.

1. igual88

igual88 Donator

Hi all we make a !of of biltong at home, its a definite family favourite.
    I hope this is of interest to others, our biltong box was a first temp build 2 years ago but its nerely always in use so it does look very heath Robinson but it works very well so hear goes.

To make the biltong box :
    Either use a small wooden box/ cupboard approx 40 x40 cm x 1 never high or one of the toy boxes with a lid will work.
    You need a standard 240v light fitting Cable and plug, 40 w bulb one of the old style ones is needed.
    A PC fan and variable 3 - 12v power supply
    Pack of tights ( preferably not worn ) unless your kinky
    Gaffer tape
    String/wire
    Drill
    saw
    Screws
    25 mm flat bit
    15 mm flat bit

You need whatever your using ideally to be taller so the convection currents work if using a cupboard drill saw a big hole In top and screw on PC fan sort wireing out.
    On the sides and front at bottom drill 6 / 8 holes 25 mm
    At the back low down drill and fit the light also rig up a metal drip shield ( slim fast can size or something similar )

At the front half way up drill a series of holes 15 mm approx 8 of them
    Cover all holes with the cut up tights to make sue no bugs get in only air ( gaffer tape easiest way to attatch tights )

Rig up some way to hang the meat about 5 cm from top of box string or wire any holes you make seal up.

Test box make sure fan is sucking air out of box and light works.
    Well done you now have a biltong box.

To make the biltong:

1 - 2 Kg Silverside Beef Roasting Joint or any beef joint will do cheaper the better, you can also use venison, wood pidgin , duck.
    This will vary depending upon how much meat you use
    The Marinade:200 ml Cider Vinegar 100ml balsamic Vinegar

The Cure:
    250 g Course Sea salt or malvern flake salt ( don't use fine table salt)
    50 g demerera sugar (optional)

The rub:
    Coriander seeds crushed mid/fine 3 tablespoons,
    smoked paprika 3 tablespoons,
    garlic powder half teaspoon,
    Onion salt 1 tea spoon,
    black pepper 1 teaspoon ,
    1 to 2 teaspoon chili if u like a bit of heat.

Method:
    To make get a silverside of beef or whatever lump is cheapest and slice with the grain into 1 cm x 4cm slabs ish, the smaller they are the quicker they will dry but they do not store as well ( exception is if your making beer sticks spicy version of this but use 1 cm x1 cm strips).
    Make sure to remove as much fat and sinew as you can.

Get a deep dish and a dinner plate, fill the plate with the sea salt and push the meat in to the salt covering it all over. Then place into deep dish.
    Put the meat into the fridge for 30 mins
    draining fluid off every 10 mins.
    After 30 mins Scrape not wash the salt off and discard it.
    Get your marinade liquid and apply liberally to meat with pastry type brush do not lay it in the fluid.
    Get a plate and have ready your spice rub. Mix spices together and coat the meat all over.
    Put in fridge 2 hours.

Get some paperclips and make hook shape hang meat up making sure they do not touch each other or box,
    turn it all on put lid/front on leave for 3/4 days, first 48 hours fan on full 12 v then reduce volts to 6/8 , poke it. If it is squidgy but leathery that's called wet/soft biltong 5/7 days mid texture the best I think 9+ tooth breakers grate it into soups stews etc will keep for ages. Sometimes you get mildew in the first 24 hours if so apply neat vinegar to area affected ( mildew will not smell if it stinks you have buggered up and its gone off not dried)
    Once you have your desired texture store it wrapped in paper in a drawer or cupboard it also freezes well.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This is what you should end up with

2. igual88

igual88 Donator

Forgot to add you can use any thing you like for dry rub be creative ,BBQ seasoning u get from butchers is wonderful so are ready made seasonings like ras el hanout
    Wassabi and lime didn't work so good took ya sinuses out lol.

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

That looks and sounds delicious!!

Ever tried making pastrami??

4. igual88

igual88 Donator

Made it many years ago when I was in the restaurant business might have to have another go 1 day

5. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

A few pointers for pastrami would be very helpful, I love the stuff!!!

6. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 bell target champion

can we not just go Tesco,s for it :D

7. igual88

igual88 Donator

I'll have to get the missus to hook my old note books out got a wicked recipie in there someplace lol from memory
    I will try get her to root em out tomoz for you.

8. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I'll take 3lb of it please. Sounds bloody delicious :)

9. igual88

igual88 Donator

2 kg of meat will make approx 380/420 grams biltong unless you make tooth breakers in which case you will get 180/230 grams that stuff so dry you can grate it to a powder.
    Whitevanman The stuff in the supermarkets is crud compared to this.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  10. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

This looks ace. I've always wondered if you could set an oven to a low heat and do it that way though? I've only ever had the stuff from packets, I did enjoy it though.

11. ped

ped Big Poster

jerky's one of my favourites so thanks for sharing how you make it
    ped

12. igual88

igual88 Donator

Quote from wikipedia
    Biltong differs from jerky in three distinct ways:

• The meat used in biltong can be much thicker; typically biltong meat is cut in strips approx 1" (25 mm) wide – but can be thicker. Jerky is normally very thin meat.

• The vinegar, salt and spices in biltong, together with the drying process, cure the meat as well as adding texture and flavour. Jerky is traditionally dried with salt but without vinegar.

• Jerky is often smoked; biltong is never smoked.

13. ped

ped Big Poster

i thought they were both the same,learn some thing new every day
    ped

14. radar100

radar100 Well-Known Member

@igual88, just the kick in the pants I needed to get my 'tong box done. Have a nice ply box about 50cmx50cmx70cm, light and fan ready wired up to go in, just need to get hinges on the door and hanging lines, I'll post pics when I get a chance.

@ edtwozeronine - not really a good idea as you'd most likely just cook the outside with raw inside, or it would dry out too quickly and just be crazy solid. Best is to let it dry out fairly slowly, 3-4 days is about best I've found.

15. brechiner

brechiner Well-Known Member

well if you like pastrami, you,ll nae doot like Black Forest Schinken

16. igual88

igual88 Donator

Had a scrounge through my old note books and cannot find the pastrami bits i had written down sorry.
    Did some hunting on the tinterweb thingy ma jig.
    Best I found was this
    http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/

Seemed to make the most sense.

17. radar100

radar100 Well-Known Member

Sheesh that looks fantastic!!