1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Holdover/under Vs Scope Move

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by SP99, Jan 6, 2021.

1. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

Have to bear with me in this as my explanations may be slightly vague/simple but hopefully you’ll get the gist.

is it preferable to zero to one average range and just get used to your holdover/under. Or is it better to find a few zero’s at different ranges using the scope turret and mark them with stickers etc. And adjust as necessary?

ive heard that continually adjusting using your turret could move youre point of impact, which I’m effect renders this method completely pointless anyway?.....

please try keep your answers relatively simple bc I’m still learning the terminology ;)

rabbitwrecker and Chouchin66 like this.
  2. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Major Poster

As best I can...
    I find it much easier to zero at a given distance & use holdover( not much under) the way I do it. Look through Chairgun...ie. My .20 HW50 has a near zero of 9 yards/ far zero of 27 yards, ( crosshairs in same spot on target)This gives me a point blank range of 30 yards( place crosshairs dead on ) at any distance between 9 - 30 yards = hit( kill zone of .80")... This means my pellet will neither rise , nor fall more than 7/16" from line of sight. Not all scopes (until high( er)end will track w/ turrets reliably. So , a hold over/ under approach ( I feel) is best. Put accurate data( scope height most important ) into Chairgun...test & confirm your aim points.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    qyuubi786, Gunfun and rabbitwrecker like this.
  3. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

The simple answer is whichever feels best for you try both methods, the only proviso is that you can't skimp on a scope if you intend to click it needs to be a tried and tested model that will always return to zero.

4. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

cheers for that, I’ve had a look at ChairGun, for someone relatively new to the sport like myself it’s MEGA confusing. If anyone could simplify the basics of what I should be putting in. That’s be great

Attached Files:

Chouchin66 likes this.
  5. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

There are those that swear by Chairgun but not being one of them I would always err on the side of pursuing the methods that you feel the most comfortable with and remember it's all about enjoyment.:)

6. PAUL4BE

PAUL4BE Engaging Member

Most important questions around this are what type(s) of shooting are you intending, and what is the scope etc?

7. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Major Poster

O.K. buddy, Here goes...
    First- muzzle velocity( a chronograph is a necessity)for keepin tabs on a rifles performance & velocity w/ various pellets - a must have!
    Second: an accurate scope height above C/L of muzzle...here's how...
    Turn scope to lowest magnification, & lowest paralax setting, place a piece of aluminum foil over front lens( objective lens) - in foil , pierce a small hole, next, place apiece of card W/ a cross near as can to muzzle, sight on center of cross & fire a pellet.
    C/L of pellet hole - C/L aim point is scope height above muzzle.
    Enter scope height, muzzle velocity _ pellet weight into Chairgun...
    Start at , say a 25 yard zero, hit " toolbox/ optimum zero range ...this gives a " kill zone". Adjust zero accordingly to your desired kill zone ( I use between 0.6 & 0.8")

Have fun brother!..hope I helped

P.S. - the clicks button, use it to match YOUR scope's set up - ie. 1/4" at 100 yards , etc.

Gunfun, SP99 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  8. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

Get the gist of what you’re saying, ‘CL’ is what? Then I’ll be able to understand fully

cheers

Chouchin66 likes this.
  9. Stockscrew

Stockscrew Posting Addict

Using the turrets to adjust your zero for different ranges is what target turrets were made for. If you have a reasonable quality scope the turrets should return the reticle to its previous or another position on alteration. If you prefer this method, download the free version of Strelok on your phone, zero your rifle to 30yds and set your turrets by releasing them from moving the reticle, to Zero. Put in the relevant data required by Strelok and away you go, stickers not required. The info given on Strelok may seem a lot to remember but by its use it will become familiar or write it in your scope cap.

SP99 likes this.
  10. Scubashot

Scubashot Busy Member

C/L in this case is the centreline of the barrel.

SP99 and Chouchin66 like this.
  11. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Much depends on what shooting you're doing buddy, if you're static hunting (from a hide) or target shooting at a pre determined distance then set scope accordingly, on the other hand if your going walk about (stalking) then set at your preferred zero (20, 25, 30yds etc) and either try to maintain that distance or learn yer hold-overs/unders... :thumb:

Only you can decide which method best suits your circumstances at any one point in time...

12. R10 Rich

R10 Rich Busy Member

I have been messing around with stickers on my turrets. I prefer to aim with the cross hairs rather than use hold over and under.
    Set my zero to 30 metres then found my marks for 20, 40, 50, 60, yet to do 70.
    As someone mentioned it depends on scopes as the ones on my guns are all different and I am surprised how different they are.
    When I shoot at local range I set targets at 45, 55 etc and then use a small amount of hold under/over.
    It all makes good practice for someone with under a year of shooting experience.
    Not sure if I will stick to this method but it gives me a task to do at range and hopefully will gain me knowledge

Mice!, SP99 and Chouchin66 like this.
  13. Scubashot

Scubashot Busy Member

The procedure outlined by @Chouchin66 is to provide an accurate value for scope height.
    As the centrelines of the scope and barrel converge, rather than lying parallel, you can't just measure the height of the scope above the barrel.
    You actually require the height of the sightline above the barrel centreline, at the muzzle, to enter into Chairgun for scope height.

14. pjgtech

pjgtech Top Poster

As others have said, if using scope adjustment / turrets, you will need a good quality scope, as not all (especially cheap scopes) will return to the same place / zero.

Chairgun, etc are useful to see what sort of zero, kill zone, power, speed, etc you will get, but relies on inputting the correct data, (see post re: setting the correct scope height above), I think a lot of peeps think this is the height above the scope rails, not from the muzzle CL, which it should be!

Also, to double check zero, put out some target cards at 5m distances, eg: 15m, 20m, 25m, 30m, 35m, 40, 45m, etc and actually shoot those targets and note where the pellets land, obviously do it indoors or on a fairly wind free day!
    This will show you what your gun / pellet is actually doing and will also help you with your aim points for hold over, hold under...

Above all, enjoy it.... :thumb:

Mice!, SP99 and Chouchin66 like this.
  15. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Major Poster

C/L = center line( of muzzle)

SP99 likes this.
  16. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Major Poster

Thank you for clarifying that mate, some times I'm not the best at explaining stuff, easier ( for me) to show someone...it's a Carpenter thing

Scubashot and SP99 like this.
  17. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

Fixed zero point, then holdover/under where needed. Chairgun and similar can give you a rough idea of what you should be doing, but never rely on an app - practice and learn where you and your rig are hitting at various distances, there's no substitute for real-world experience...

Mice! and Chouchin66 like this.
  18. magicstu

magicstu Well-Known Member

For me it’s hold over. I simply went to the range. Shot targets aiming dead on at 5meter ranges between 10 and 40m. Then transfer that to my reticule points (mil dot etc). Shot another target to confirm hold over poi is correct. And transfer the aim off points to my range card for the ground I’m shooting. As in :
    barn edge to hedge is 0.5 mil hold over.
    If that makes sense.

qyuubi786, Mice!, 32:1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

Chouchin66 likes this.
  20. 32:1

32:1 Yea, I like it

If hunting you may not get time to rangefind, twist turrets and then shoot ;)

Simply set your zero and learn your holds Id suggest, and remember that either of these methods are only as good as your ranging

Enjoy the ride

Chris

Mice!, Chouchin66 and robs5230 like this.