1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

HFT Golf anyone?

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by mitigator, Jun 1, 2015.

1. mitigator

mitigator Busy Member

This is probably a stupid idea but.....

If you play golf and have a handicap you can compete with anyone and have a competetive game.

Why not do the same with hft.

Max handicap 6 points / shots

Could then go round the club's hft course with a mate and have a competetive shoot rather than a practice/plink.

One step further - rank the targets like holes in golf - so if you have a 4 handicap then par for you is one point for the toughest 4 targets......

Just a thought.

2. themadspread

themadspread Donator

thats a good point that ive spoke to at the forum meets with the hft brigade.my point being in a golf club without a hcap system the same people would win every week the large majority would get hacked off and leave end result no golf club.at the last meet i spoke to some of the newbies about why they havnt come to a meet before and the main worry was i only hunt and i dont want to look a idiot against these hft lads with there £2000 guns and £500 sights(totally understandable).so i think lots of people will think the same about joining a hft club.i do enjoy a round of hft at a meet (its great fun)but would never dream of joining a hft club where i could never win(not good enough)but with a hcap system then everybody has a fair chance.i always take a interest at the furnace mill lads results and its the same lads at the top and the same lads at the bottom. a well thought out hcap system i think would work really well and would maybe get these clubs alot more members.this could be a good topic im going to keep an eye on it

3. themadspread

themadspread Donator

just to add most of the hft lads would not understand how a golf hcap works so you might have to do some explaining to them(i play off 12 by the way)

4. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Yep sounds a good idea, and would be quite easy to execute really.

5. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

And there's me thinking we were off for a game of crazy golf using our rifles, what a let down :(

6. mitigator

mitigator Busy Member

I'm 12 too!

Think it would work.

7. zippo1973

zippo1973 Donator

That's the $64000 question, how would it work and who would decide on the handicap? The great thing about HFT is that anyone can take part. I enjoy shooting competitions but for me personally it's more about the enjoyment and the banter that goes with it regardless of the score.

8. milek

milek Honorary Member

There's enough bandits in golf and the politics around that just won't do the sport any good :) Winning is unlikely for 90% of HFT'ers so it's ourselves we are trying to beat or at least on a local club level then our team-mates. If I win it's going to be outright and I don't want the handicap system influencing my outcomes. It is a great idea granted but there is already something in our game to soften the blow when we don't come out on top. Rattus & Mikmon have written the book on excuses for poor scores and I'm sure they will happily provide anyone with a list as long as your arm.

9. Spewy

Spewy Donator

Great idea

10. mitigator

mitigator Busy Member

Even if it means you can have a little comp with a couple of mates at the practice course - I'm new to hft - member at Emley moor who are in nefta. There is an hft league on at the moment but I can only make a couple of meets.

As you say same names at the top as last year.

Would mean I could compete without getting myself into debt!

11. Panther

Panther Donator

I don't play golf but enough of my friends do to know that the best way to ruin a good dinner party is to start talking about handicaps :)

12. tugg

tugg Engaging Member

we already do something like this at M.A.D.
    our summer series runs every wednesday for 20 weeks .
    we have the scratch scores like normal but we also have a handicap score for a cash win 1st -3rd ,
    All handicaps are pre determined by Ray a club member,all handicaps given are based on current performance.
    It also gives shooters who have never experienced a shoot-off in normal comps the experience to shoot-off for cash.not quite the same as shooting off at the nationals but can still get the pulse racing when you don't want it to.:rolleyes:

13. milek

milek Honorary Member

Some of the top shooters have quite basic kit; money can't buy a good score.

14. mitigator

mitigator Busy Member

A handicap is not an excuse it levels things up between those who have the odd plink and those who take it very seriously.

What the golf handicap system is very good at is it shows who is improving and those who improve get their handicap reduced.

Am sure most who are new to the sport would agree.

In golf I can play someone much better than me and be competetive - handicaps are set by previous results.

15. themadspread

themadspread Donator

mick we all know that its the bloke pulling the trigger but in the mind set of newer people getting into it in the back of there mind there thinking is how can i compete with my £500 when joe blogs and fred smith are using set ups that cost 5 and 6 times that ive always hunted but ive had a little insight into hft and its great fun the lads that do it are a good bunch and the pi@@taking is the best part of it but for someone who knows nowt about it thats what there going to think

16. Speed

Speed Busy Member

im also a member of emley :)

you dont need to spend thousands to get you to the top, just practice

im newish to shooting (16 month) and I'm 3rd overall atm, ive not spent thousands, the guy who cleared redferns last week used a old mpr action in a rough and ready s400 stock,

nefta hunter is designed to be easy so anyone can just turn up with a springer and have a go,(mostly 40mm kills) i shot last year 1st season with a springer and cheap hawke scope, few hundred quid setup

17. tugg

tugg Engaging Member

couldn't agree more .Its a great excuse but its about learning your kit whatever you use and getting the gun to fit you properly .thats one thing I've found after trying different guns and scopes.

18. mitigator

mitigator Busy Member

Absoloutely you don't need to spend a mint , just be the best you can with what you have.

Bloke I used to play golf with was terrible but turned up with brand new everything every year , he played off maximum handicap and usually lost.

If it wasn't for the handicap system he would always lose and probably pack it in.

Works for racehorses too!

19. tugg

tugg Engaging Member

I once shot round with a fella at a hft comp and afterwards he asked to look through the scope I was using at the time ,i think it was a mtc connect ,he was shooting an s400 ,I can't remember the scope he was using but it I think it was a 40mm hawke so still usable for hft. after he looked through my scope ,he commented that the scope was nice but he couldn't justify spending that sort of money(£200max on the forums),It wasn't until I saw him putting his gun away in his porsche that i realized that he really ain't into his shooting like I am putting my kit in the back of my £500 old banger.the guns I had in the back must have quadrupled the value of my car.
    come to think of it I hav'nt seen him around lately, perhaps he's taken up golf again.
    ok ,So I'm not saying everyone with entry level kit aren't passionate about there shooting and realize some people can't afford the top end stuff but alot of top shooters are top shooters because they are really into their shooting hence they buy expensive kit but would do just as well with a s400 with a nikko mountmaster on top providing they took the time to learn it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  20. milek

milek Honorary Member

I think Colin you have a £90 scope on your rig? Rhino that mikmon puts to good use on occasion (rare)