1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

heyulp,heyulp!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by billtr96sn, May 1, 2012.

1. billtr96sn

billtr96sn Member

I use a break barrel rifle and all the things that I have read have always said, don't leave them cocked for too long.

Well, how long is too long.

2. maxiboy

maxiboy Engaging Member

Weeks...

3. billtr96sn

billtr96sn Member

Really? I usually let it loose at about an hour as I get paranoid about my spriing getting a set in it.

4. andy draper

andy draper Post Whore

i read on one site a post that actually tested this theory and went into the physics and very detailed analysis.The gun did loose power after about 1 hour for the pellet in the barrel,but went up next shot.If you leave them 24 hours they can loose quite a bit some users recomend this if slightly overpowered as the effect can drop it by say 1/2 f/p.
    I'd leave it uncocked till you need it hard if hunting but after while you can always release the pressure and recock it when you have a quiet patch.
    andy.

5. BunnyHunter20

BunnyHunter20 Engaging Member

One of my mates was shooting in his garden and somehow got sidetracked while in the process, he left the gun for over two weeks loaded in his cupboard , went back to it and blew a hole in the plaster of his wall as he didnt realise he left it loaded, he then thought he would have knackered it, took it to the gunshop to have it chronoed and it hadn't changed in power at all since the last time he had it done, it was a webley Exocet and it shot at 10.74 before and after

6. Dead eye kai

Dead eye kai Busy Member

An hour is a good rule of thumb.

7. maxiboy

maxiboy Engaging Member

Read an article a few weeks ago somewhere where john darling i think tested this in a controlled environment with springs left for weeks clamped up tight on a threaded bar.. proved it wasn't an issue. though i would say as when its cocked its loaded better that is a short as time as possible from a safety point of view

8. trig

trig Engaging Member

I think that was recently covered in Airgun World magazine.

9. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Back in my youth I left my Hw77 cocked for 6 months..When I eventually realised 2 or 3 shots later the spring broke...Now I don't know if the fact that it was cocked was to blame but I sure think so.

10. Jiggy ward

Jiggy ward HEY YOU GUYS

my old hw80 i had it was left cocked for 3 hour waiting for the woody to drop back in range after a 1st cull when i shot the second shot of the action sounded differant but was performance was deadly still now with the springers i have i only cock when needed as i dont have money floating around if anything was to break

11. maxiboy

maxiboy Engaging Member

Could be but as i bought 50 assorted airgun magazines from ebay couldn't be sure