1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Broadband Provider Choice?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Andy-K2, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

Guys

I know, its a minefield trying to chose a Broadband provider. I have always been with Virgin Media through its many name changes over the years and never swade away from them for my BB. I have a 200mb package at present but at £45.00 a month and not overly happy with the speeds I am getting over the WiFi connections. So as a unhappy customer I have given notice and have around 28 days to chose a replacement. I know I am going to get various suggestions pointing to all of the providers but I am just looking for help with questions like, are you getting close to the speeds you were promised by say Talk Talk, Sky etc, Prices, customer service etc, which I might add I don't get much of from Virgin maybe because they know they are close to the number 1 of the companies providing BB. Not interested in TV or a home phone although I do realise that I will have a home phone connected as part of the service with some but will not be used here as mobiles are cheap now and we all have them now.....:confused:

I promise to keep an eye on this thread, but as its Mothers Day and I cannot connect whilst in work I will only be able to connect as and when but I promise I really am in need of advise and really interested in what you have to say, I will also agree that this may not sound like an Air Gun related question but, it is in a round-a-bout way as I hunt YouTube and many other airgun related subjects so it is airgun related in the long run :D:up:

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

My Dad got broadband installed last month from talktalk,

unlimited fibre and house phone for £28 a month.

Hth:)

3. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

I shopped around a few years back and went with SSE, free broadband as long as you had the telephone package. Being as I already had gas & electric with them i got a really good deal. Yes you can go through SKY or BT or even Virgin with a TV package but I'm haemorriging blood at all the bloody repeats. I dumped Sky, bought a PVV recorder and have not looked back, not looked at repeats either. Repeats? well repeat that some 50,000 times. They've ruined Halls and Forces (Only Fools & Horses) & Top Gear. I am not prepared to pay for poop coming into my humble abode. (Err, Kensington Palace?)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The poor wifi speeds amy not be anything to do with your provider unless the router is old and not working properly. Of course your laptop/tablet may not be capable of working at high speed over wifi. It's easy enough to add a good wifi router of your choice and hook it up to your Virgin router.
    You could have asked Virgin for a new router if you were otherwise happy with them and they would probably have been happy to do that and offer a better deal to keep you as a customer.
    I don't think any of the other suppliers are likely to offer higher speed fibre, most only go up to 80Mbps although all will have up to the minute routers/wifi and if you can connect on the 5G wifi rather than the 2.4G you're likely to get better speeds although you may not get the same range.

5. snipperuk

snipperuk Donator

As above .... poor wifi will be down to router ..
    might be worth trying different wifi channels as this can help or the bt home hub is a decent router .... I get virtually no drop in speed over wifi compared to my old one

6. XplosiV

XplosiV Posting Addict

Speed to your house means nothing unless the devices you intend to use within your house are mostly compatible. If you have a dual band router, ethernet as many devices as you can, 5ghz wifi has a shorter range than 2.4ghz but will outperform 2.4ghz within that shorter range, longer range 2.4ghz will do you just fine.

As for providers, it may be worth seeing if you can get Vodafone at your location (although I suspect they'll just rent bandwith from Virgin, like EE have the monopoly on 4G, or at least used too) or see if you can get a good deal through someone like SSE.

7. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

A wired connection will give me 220mb but I think somewhere you guys have answered a problem I didn't think I had. I recently bought a make do laptop as my all singing laptop burned out (a long and uninteresting story), I think now this one may not be man enough over the wifi to deal with my BB speed. However also you have pointed out that it could be an issue with the modem as the issue with the wifi has been around for a while so I may ask for their v3 modem a little nearer to my end of contract to see if things will improve.... Also time to save up for another high spec laptop...
    Had a little time this afternoon and looked around a little, Talk Talk seemed to be pretty good but at £32 for their boosted 76mb BB seemed a little rich for 1/3 of what I have already... as said, a minefield lol

8. XplosiV

XplosiV Posting Addict

It's always a minefield Andy, imo. The thing is, Virgin know damn well they are the only provider that can give you that speed, and as such, have absolutely no issue charging silly money for it, and then adding to the cost at least once a year.

It comes down to what you need, how fast you need it, and what you think that's worth. For me, the inevitable price hikes put me off after several years, so I cut out pretty much everything and kept the phone and BB for £33 pm but if I could get Vodafones offering, I'd jump at it, being that I'm no longer downloading TB's of stuff, I don't need the speed or newsgroups.