1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

help regarding smaller rifles

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by foob, Sep 3, 2014.

1. foob

foob Member

First time poster here..... i was wondering if some nice person could help me with some useful information regarding smaller and/or lightweight air rifles for my SO to use. I have read the sticky at the top regarding rifle choice and it didnt explain my specific needs, unfortunately.

So basically, me and my SO like to pop up to the local range and shoot a few targets. It is a dedicated outdoor range with static targets at 33 yards, and a couple further out up to 75 yards. We are very new to the hobby (we have only been 3 or so times) and only got into it because i got my hands on two rifles for a very reasonable price from a family member that moved on to bigger and better equipment. The rifle i use is a .22 BSA Lightning XL and this is a fantastic rifle for me, however it is far too heavy for the SO to use (to both hold and cock).

The second rifle i obtained is the one she is currently using, which is a .22 Crosman Ratcatcher. This is an absolutely fantastic little gun and the absolute perfect size and weight for her. However, it being CO2 powered is a huge issue as we are burning through CO2 caplets at a very high rate. I suspect there may be a small issue with the rifle, as we are only getting around 25 full power shots per caplet (and from what i have read, this is supposed to be between 30-35 shots). Given there may be an issue with the rifle and the fact we would both prefer to switch over to a break barrel rifle, i have been looking for a good replacement to get her. However, all the rifles ive seen in that size tend to be cheap kids rifles of which im dubious about purchasing for a proper 33 yard range.

Does anyone know of a decent small and lightweight rifle that would be good for her? Shes only about 5 ft 2 so length and weight are equally as important. I will also consider a lightweight normal size rifle that i can change the stock to something shorter. Ill stick a few specifics below, these are not strict guidelines, but preferred attributes ; -

* Short stock or customisable to replace stock with a short one.
    * .177 or .22 Caliber preferable. .22 more preferable than .177 simply due to that my BSA is .22 so we can use the same pellets but either is absolutely fine.
    * No scope required, as the Ratcatcher came with a good one (unknown model number, but i know its a Hawke). However, i would like to pick up a cheap/chatty scope to put on the ratcatcher in place so that the rifle can be used for other friends that go to the range with us from time to time.
    * Break Barrel or Gas Ram required. I would not like a multi-pump system. If there is another system equally as cheap that i am unaware of please feel free to explain.
    * Price not too much of an issue, as i assume up to £200 is reasonable for what i'm searching for. (but of course i wont grumble at any lower price)
    * Has to be accurate at 33 yards, to hit a target the size of a pellet tin lid.
    * Purchasable in the UK (i figure this is an obvious one)

As an example, i found a rifle i like the look of at the following link; -

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ai...-air-rifles/pellpax-black-panther-kit-22/1779

but have no idea if its any good.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, hopefully somebody can help me out.

2. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

I think you may have some trouble with only £200 :facepalm:

3. foob

foob Member

Thakns for the reply. If i may ask, would you mind elaborating on why you think this is the case? im not above shelling out extra if the need be but i would like to learn why before i do.

4. JLB

JLB Busy Member

Weihrauch HW30 or 30s. 30s has the 'Record' trigger. Lightweight spring power, so always ready for action:D Easy to cock & run about 8ft/lbs power wise. Also has iron sights, I think everyone should shoot with iron sights once in a while. Around £200 brand new & I think a little less from the sportsman gun centre

John:)

5. sej016

sej016 Donator

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Doing some good shooting to hit targets at 75 yard with a sub 12 .22

Any gun within your budget will do the accuracy you require and more,good accuracy isn't pellet tin sized groups at 35 yard,if my groups are bigger than a 2 pence coin,the rifle goes back :p

I would consider the 30S with the Rekord unit but in .177,the recoil will be a bit snappier but that's a very small drawback in comparison to the multitude of additional features you get from a .177

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  7. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Pro Poster

.22 HW99s if she can handle a little extra weight

8. jw74

jw74 Posting Addict

I would say as above 99s also I prefer .22 in springers.I find them a lot smoother. Also with the weihrauch you get the record trigger and I don't think you can beat it.its adjustable for length of pull and let off pressure. But if you did go down the route of adjusting the trigger then read up on it first!good luck jw

9. foob

foob Member

Thanks for the replies. i agree that looks like a fantastic little shooter and quite perfect for my (or rather, her) requirements. I've had a look at a few youtube videos of it an i think its pretty good. I'm a little concerned about the length of the stock though.... is there any way to replace it with another or shorten it manually?

10. JLB

JLB Busy Member

Shortening the stock is relatively easy if you know someone with a sliding mitre saw. You will probably find that the butt pad might be a bit big around the edge if you intend to re-fit it though, but wouldn't affect the the operation of the gun..

John.

11. Whistler

Whistler Donator

I guess you are going spring or break barrel to save forking out on a pump or bottle - but theres a nice little Brocock Contour (single shot) on "the site that must not be named" for £225 delivered. I've got a Contour and my 12 yr old daughter uses it.

12. foob

foob Member

i assume you're talking about a PCP. I actually wouldn't mind going for a PCP as im lucky enough that i already have some divers bottles from the afformentioned family member who used to do underwater welding as a career. He also has a BSA R10 so hed be good on showing me the ins and outs of that kind of rifle. I just assumed i wouldn't get a decent one for anywhere near the budget. To be honest, i might even get one for myself if its that good.

13. sej016

sej016 Donator

14. mattyts

mattyts Donator

You will get a second hand S400 for around £300 or a second hand S200 for about £230-£250 I think.

15. sej016

sej016 Donator

S200 is a nice choice, if indeed you can find one for that price. You want a MK3, really.

16. Whistler

Whistler Donator

I think the Contour is about the smallest, lightest PCP out there (though I stand to be corrected). Are there better guns ? Yes, but generally they cost more and are heavier. I often use the Contour myself, its consistent and accurate - the only limitation is the shot count - probably 24 shots in .22 ? So good for hunting but a bit of a drag if you are plinking ! If you were closer you'd be welcome to come and have a go with it.
    In the BSA camp, keep your eyes open for a 10 shot Hornet. Sized between an Ultra and a Scorpion but they tend to go for about £200 - £250 second hand as not as popular.

17. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Pro Poster

You can also pick up a bsa ultra mmc for £200-250 which in my opinion are much better than the contour.....i had 4 ultras and 1 contour, i took the hit and moved the new contour on pretty sharp, yet had my ultras for years. I would buy another ultra tomorrow no problem.

18. happydad

happydad Engaging Member

If you are willing to spend a little for PCP then go for the BSA Ultra se in the tactical stock. great light weight rifle although pellet count is not very high.
    or stick with your original plans and go for the HW30, if your better half gets on well with this and then wishes to move on to a pcp than you will get a very good return on its second hand value.
    dont discount the s200 another great light weight and supremely accurate rifle, Mrk2's between £240 & £280.
    I think that everyone that shoots PCP air rifles should have a at least one springer in their cabinet:)

ATB
    Mike

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  19. leaky5

leaky5 Donator

My first and only PCP was a single shot Ultra MMC, picked it up for £180 off the BSA Owners Group. You just need to keep you eye out for the right gun.
    Great little gun, only sold it to pay for a blown headgasket on my car.