1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with Airgun Law...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Diopter, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Diopter

Diopter Member

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone can help answer a question?

I used to shoot regularly at a local gun club, both air pistols and air rifles. That was maybe 10-15yrs ago.

For one reason or another I haven't been involved in the shooting scene until recently. While visiting an outdoor/hunting supply shop I spotted an Umarex PO8 (Luger) CO2 BB pistol for sale. I've always liked the styling of the Luger and I always enjoyed air pistol shooting, so I purchased the Umarex pistol with the intention of doing some plinking shooting and paper target practice.

After paying for the pistol I was asked to fill in my name and address in a ledger, but thought nothing of it, assuming it might be for guarantee reasons etc.

Now, after mentioning my new 'toy' to some of the guys at work it was hinted at that because the pistol looks like a WWI/WWII Luger it may be classed as an 'RIF' (realistic imitation firearm), and could leave me in a whole world of poop.

So I've been having a read around the web and now I'm more confused than ever. Some sites seemed to suggest that I should be a member of a skirmish club even to purchase such things, or sites suggest that I cannot even sell it due to the RIF nature, and so on.

So what the heck is the correct answer? 15-yrs ago it was 6ft lb limit pistols, 12 ft lb limit rifles, and don't walk around Woolworths with either one of them loaded etc. Simples!

But now the laws are so confusing I'm beginning to wonder why I even bothered buying the thing in the first place. What should have been a pleasant walk down a childhood memory lane is rapidly looking like a real nightmare.

And for info, when I purchased the pistol no mention whatsoever was made as regards any legality or requirements of me making the purchase, the guy just took my loot and made me fill in the ledger.

To recap then it's an Umarex PO8 CO2 BB (.177 steel) pistol, with a 21 shot magazine.

Any ideas please?

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Nothing to worry about, completely legal to own and use in your back garden or anywhere you have permission!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

As above, there is no issue. Have fun, and welcome back to the fold.

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I think it covers the plastic guns which don't fire fast or powerful enough to be deemed a firearm.they are usually are painted with the orange tips if they aren't a RIF.

So completely legal,enjoy it :up:

5. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

As above . worry not im well into my 40s and own several legal hunting air rifles and a replica Colt 1911 co2 pistol by the same maker as your Luger , Enjoy :up: . Hey i love shooting tin cans with mine great fun :up: stick with the forum you will be amazed by modern air gunning !!! :eek: I hadnt touched an air rifle in 15 years when i joined the forum , i was amazed :up: . On the down side i have no money any more :rolleyes:

6. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

It is co2 powered and will have a power rating above 1 joule so it's OK.

7. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Under the VCR Act - All Air Guns are registered @ purchasing Dealer - When New and sold by a Dealer

The Register stay's with Dealer as does information in it -

Even manufactures are not required to keep a register as to who got what guns or seriel numbers

Most UK Manufactures restart numbers each finanicial year - very few have year numbers-

Which will make a joke if it ever comes to Air Gun Registration / Licensing

6mm is a real joke - as under 1 joule you need to be registered to a Sport / and gun painted or Clear

Over 1 joule it can be black and sold as a Air Pistol.

Check www.basc.org.uk has all legislation covering UK based Air Guns

BOB/R

8. Diopter

Diopter Member

Thanks for the info, and the welcome! :)

9. Diopter

Diopter Member

Again, thanks for the info, and the welcome! :)

10. Diopter

Diopter Member

Thank you! :)

11. Diopter

Diopter Member

Thanks for the reply :up:

One of my air pistols is a Gamo R77 revolver. I love it because it has a full rotating cylinder (not a disc like some), so I can fire pellets or darts (anyone remember those!) with 8-shot capability. It has a laser too (laser sight that is!), but I tend to stick with the blade sights.

12. Diopter

Diopter Member

Thanks for the info Andy, and a great forum!

You mention one joule, so is that the cut off point between a pistol/rifle being classed as a firearm or air-soft? Or does the calibre enter in to the equation too i.e. does the weapon have to be 6mm BB AND be below 1 joule to be classed as air-soft and therefore an imitation firearm?

For example, if someone owned an old 'traditional' air pistol, and due to age the spring had weakened over the years so that the muzzle energy fell below one foot pound, could that then be classed as an imitation fire arm?

Also, say a pistol originally sold as an air-soft 'toy' was modified to bring up its muzzle energy to say two foot pounds, could that then be treated as a standard air pistol in that the energy level brings it up in to the fire arm category and is therefore no longer an imitation fire arm? Or would it be a case that because it was originally and air-soft weapon it will always be treated as an air-soft weapon, but now of a higher illegal power level?

Sorry for asking so many questions! I just want to make sure that I have the info correct in my mind so that I don't end up innocently breaking the law. I'm amazed so far that a true air pistol can look like a 'real' gun and the law is happy, and yet air-soft type weapons with much less 'destructive' energy have to be painted pink with yellow spots and requires the owner to be a member of an elite skirmishing corp... The (shooting) world seems to have gone mad!

13. Diopter

Diopter Member

Thanks for all the great info Bob... :up:

14. lodgey

lodgey Engaging Member

You will be ok as long as your not running round the town Centre shooting pigeons

15. Diopter

Diopter Member

Final question!

I have two old spring piston type air-soft pistols that I purchased maybe 15-yrs ago. These old pistols are not day-glow coloured, but are painted or coloured like the originals they are modeled upon. Off the top of my head one is a Beretta 92fs look-a-like (which is all black), and the other is modeled on a Colt 25 (silver-grey coloured with black(?) grips.

The Beretta has a label that shows "< 0.5 J" (less than half a joule).

Can these still be owned legally because of the time that they were made/purchased? Or shall I introduce them to "Mr 2lb Lump Hammer" before I get my collar felt? :D