1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Help A Newbie With His Hatsan, Please......

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tay, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Tay

Tay Member

Right, looking to buy first rifle. Done a bit of research but best to ask the guys that know (you lot lol). I'm going with a Hatsan 125 177 or .22 (for target mainly at local club, soon to join).
    Read that the right mount could stop sight from going funny.
    1. Any advice on a single or two mounts that would be more suitable for a scope.
    2. I've come to like the hawke vantage 4-12x40 AO Scope, like to think what you guys think.
    Joined this forum as no one really replys to youtube vids so I'm not learning anything quick.
    Sorry for long post, just would really like help getting first rifle together without wasting loads of money I don't have.

pjgtech and talent like this.
  2. talent

talent Engaging Member

The hatsan 125 is a big heavy Gun but I like them , I'd go for a single mount and the scope is a decent one

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Tay likes this.
  3. TonyB55

TonyB55 Engaging Member

Most go for .177 for target shooting, flatter trajectory and some competitions are for .177 only

Tay likes this.
  4. Tay

Tay Member

thank you, already got help with something I wasn't sure about. Cheers

5. Tay

Tay Member

OK I'll probably stick with getting that scope, any single mount examples lol, I really have no idea yet. Below £30 would be good if pos.

6. pjgtech

pjgtech If the Enemy is in range, so are You!

I've only shot one Hatsan, but that was an older and I think cheaper one a while back, it was not very nice, a bit plasticky and the trigger was a bit agricultural, eg: heavy. Have you looked at the Remington range, they seem to get good reviews?

The Hawke Vantage is an ok scope, I've had about three of them, none had any issues, they all worked fine, but they are at the cheaper end of the Hawke range, and I think they are discontinued now, possibly replaced by the "Fastmount" ones? But they are a good starter scope.

For mainly shooting targets , as others have said, .177 is preferred due to its flatter trajectory, its not as "loopy" as .22.
    Best advice though is to try and actually hold as many rifles as you can before you buy, and even better if you can shoot them, most peeps at ranges are happy to let you have a go, where are you? if you are near someone on here they may be able to help you...

Gun fit is important, so you want to know how the gun feels, is it heavy, light, long, short, is it easy to operate, what is the length of pull, etc.

Hope you find the gun you want buddy and enjoy your shootings, stay safe, oh, and welcome... :)

7. pjgtech

pjgtech If the Enemy is in range, so are You!

Common but good value scope mounts are Sportsmatch, or Hawke, lots of people recommend BKL too. On a springer I prefer double strap or one piece mounts as they grip the scope rails better, so less chance of scope creep, (the scope moving due to recoil). Single strap can move cos hey have less physical contact area to grip. Also look for scope mounts with an arrestor pin, which fits into a small hole on the top of the rifle scope rails, to stop the scope moving. Cheers :thumb:

EDIT: sorry just realised you do seem to be talking about one piece or two piece mounts, one piece is better., (IMHO) I thought you were talking about single or double strap two piece mounts, double strap are better, but take up more room......ignore me... !!! :facepalm:

8. Buckshot

Buckshot Busy Member

Wecome Tay, if you're set on a Hatsan, have you considered the Breaker 900X? It's a couple of pounds lighter i believe and considerably cheaper.
    The 125 is a bit of a beast to haul.

9. RapidStype

RapidStype Busy Member

Even though I have a 125, ..and I really like mine..I wouldn't recommend one for target shooting.
    They are well built and accurate enough..and have the excellent quattro trigger ..but even make a Hw80 feel like the HW99...a very big gun.
    Throw the bipod thing in the bin ,it is no use
    They have quite a long reach...having long arms is good.
    The silencer bit on the end was out of line on mine so I removed it and fitted an A&M unit.
    Also the piston seal was damaged from new ,so I put Aussie seals in it and had to trim a coil off the spring.
    All the Hatsans I have needed various finishing of properly .annoying , but to be expected I suppose.
    All excellent once sorted though
    Tha 125's are fine,rugged self contained hunters but there are better target springers like the HW 97,77 or the 99,98 and 95 if you want a break barrel gun.
    Plus they are a bit expensive these days new.
    But..if you like them..like I do..why not:cool:

Mine has a x56 Falcon scope on it and weighs a ton..lol...but is very accurate and build wise.. feels like it would survive a nuclear blast...:D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  10. Patrick

Patrick Donator

For target shooting .177 is the normal accepted calibre. As for scope mount(s) the Hatsan 125 has a dual scope rail which means that either 11mm type scope mounts can be used or the weaver type mounts can be used. You may find to give maximum adjustment when mounting the scope so that you can obtain the correct eye relief that two piece mounts are better and if you use two piece mount the Weaver type are more secure in as much as they don't need a separate scope stop the prevent scope creep.

11. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

:welcome:

If you're shooting targets, .177 is the way to go. If/when you graduate to live quarry, .177 is still the way to go. Don't skimp on scope mounts, your rig is only as good as the weakest link. Sportsmatch mounts have always worked for me. (Don't skimp on pellets either). If you like the look of the Hatsan range, might I suggest the 55s is a worthy candidate...