1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

hello from a newbie!! help required!!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Eclipsetuned, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Eclipsetuned

Eclipsetuned Member

Hello everybody,

I would like to say hi to everyone at the forum and would also like some help with the following if possible please!

I own a 17 year old Webley Eclipse underlever air rifle in .22. I bought it secondhand and understood at the time it was a pretty good rifle.

Around September 2005, the rifle was sent to Webley Venom as it had become inaccurate and lacked power. Venom identified that the scope rail had become detached at it's rear (as the result of the use of a 'one-piece' scope mount) and therefore the entire action required replacing (which thankfully they managed to source). The action was then tuned by them. I cannot recall the exact extent of the tuning, except that it cost around £90. I was advised by Venom that as standard, the Eclipse had suffered from being underpowered (producing around 10.5ft/Lb when new), however their tuning would increase it to around 11-11.5ft/Lb.

I use the rifle in the main for shooting pigeons in my back garden. Even though the normal range is short (around 15yds), on more than one occasion, I have unfortunately been unable to kill pigeons with a single shot. This is obviously something I wish to avoid. I currently use Eley Wasp pellets (blue tin) and shoot in a downward direction from a first floor window.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could perhaps advise on an alternative pellet which would be more affective at short range.

In addition, it would be appreciated if you could advise on what particular gun lubricant I should use to lubricate the piston / cylinder and approximate dosage and service interval in rounds etc. I have a bottle of the originally recommended 'weblube' lubricant but wondered whether the tuning would require an alternative lubricant.

Best Regards friends!

Paul

2. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

welcome paul, if your gun is doing 11 to 11.5 there is more than enough power to kill pidgeons, as for the pellets there not a bad pellet and should do the job , have you had the gun chronoed recently?

3. Eclipsetuned

Eclipsetuned Member

Many thanks Rockabilly,

I have never had it chronoed, although I would have expected Venom to have done a pretty good job with the tuning. How much does chroeing generally cost?

Without sounding sadistic, should I expect a pigeon (when shot through the head) to die instantly without any flapping etc??

4. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

it should only cost a couple of quid at a gunsmiths.

theres bound to be some movement ,why not try chest shots
    it drops them no problem

5. Eclipsetuned

Eclipsetuned Member

I have been lead to believe that the presence of a 'crop' can result in an unsuccesful kill?

What are your thoughts on the Eclipe?

6. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

the eclipse was and still is a nice underlever:up:

7. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Eclipse

Hi, The Eclipse is a good rifle,tried and tested.
    A full crop on a pidgeon should not present a problem unless shot at long range and woodie has been stuffing its face with grain or acorns.
    Head shots are best if you intend on eating them,be aware of the overkill in garden situations.
    ATB

8. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

Hi eclipse,
    In my opinion, i only shoot pigeons in the head i think its abit risky taking a shot at the chest unless you are very close. when i first started shooting i shot a pigeon in the chest at quite close range, it penetrated but didnt instantly kill it and i had to take a second shot to the head as quickly as possible. sinse then i will only shoot a pigeon in the head and if i can't take the shot i won't take it at all. To be honest, i hardly shoot pigeon nower days only the odd one here or there as a change of meat for my ferrets.

pete.

9. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi guys, I reckon pidgeon to be v. underated as food, usually because it's been "Mullered" by a shotgun or people don't know how to cook it.
    Most of my pidgeons are taken by a head shot, although alot are shot from behind, just below the centre of its "back", where the heart is.
    Cheers.

10. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I couldn't agree more Potshot, many years ago I used to shoot pigeon with a 12 bore but stopped because I got fed up with spitting out shot, far more enjoyable now I use an air rifle. I crown the pigeon and cook it in foil....delicious.

11. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi, Is "crown" the same as "spatchcock".(I'm no chef)
    Haven't tried foil, will do soon.
    Most get breasted and stuffed up a Pheasant.
    Cheers.

12. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Bisley pest control pellets are good at short range.

13. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I'm not either Potshot but no it's not the same, the crown is just both breasts complete with breast bone...like you can buy a "Turkey Crown" instead of a full turkey. I use the rest to make a stock for cooking the vegetables in.

There's a few pigeon recipes here:

http://www.pigeonwatch.co.uk/recipes.htm