1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

HELLO! And my First Question ...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Bastropjim, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Bastropjim

Bastropjim Member

Hello from Bastrop, Texas. I'm new to the forum. Hope to be able to participate, learn a lot, and contribute modestly.

Here's my first question: BSA Tech Star VS. "Chuntsman" - which is best?

I'm considering purchasing a low-price .22 cal. PCP, and I've narrowed it down to these two candidates. Considering overall quality and reliability out of the box, which one is best? Which one is most reliable - long term?

I don't care that these rifles are only a single shot, but I want one that's of good quality. I've heard the Tech Star requires pressurizing to 230 bar (3300 psi). Can an FX foot pump readily achieve this? I've also heard that the rifle only gets 20 or so shots at 200 bar (3000 psi).

I've also heard that the Chuntsman is a copy of the Daystate Huntsman. However, it usually needs some minor work out of the box.

Looking for opinions and advice. :thumb:

TIA, Jim

2. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Ive never heard of the chuntsman, who makes this gun.

3. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Is it for Hunting or just target or both?

If its an allrounder at the budget end then a AA S200 is a cracking gun.If its your first time out i would also suggest a .177 in that range.
    They are light single shot but you can get now a conversion to a Multi shot.
    Going Hunting for the in experienced is a Good long walk and the Lightness and accuracy of this gun is ideal.
    I use a H100 and at times i wished i had bought my S200 out for the Lightness and accuracy. If its just pigeon or crow its ideal and i hardly miss any head shot.

Just my opinion.

4. Bastropjim

Bastropjim Member

Thanks for the replies, guys ...

I appreciate the observations.

The "Chuntsman" is the title that seems to have been generally adopted for the BAM B50 and B51 (?) rifle imported by Compasseco. The B50 (a.k.a. Chuntsman) is the Chinese copy of the Daystate Huntsman. I'd guess "Chuntsman" is a clever amalgam of "Chinese" and "Huntsman". ;)

From what I've read, Chuntsman buyers are generally pleased with they get for the $$$. However, the rifle appears to be somewhat rough out of the box and often requires some minor work to get percolating properly.

I've not had the opprotunity to see or hold either the BSA Tech Star or the BAM B50. However, I have been doing my "homework". There's a test review of the BSA Ultra in the November, 2005 issue of Arigun World. The review is quite positive. As far as I can tell, the Tech Star is a no-frills version of the Ultra, with a beech stock and no checkering. It's about 2/3 the cost of the Ultra, but otherwise appears to be identical. The Chuntsman is available in both pistol-grip and thumbhole style stocks. Both rifles are single shot. Both are about the same power, 28-35 ft-lbs. The Chuntsman is full-size, the Tech Star is a sporter and only 33" long.

I have an Air Arms S200 in .22 cal. with the 10-shot rotary magazine adapter and A-A moderator. I'm delighted with this setup. It's incredible how much the moderator reduces the muzzle blast. I don't have any problem shooting pine cones off trees at 50 yards and beyond. My S200 chronies right at 18 ft-lb. with heavy pellets. However it only gets about 30 shots off a 190 bar fill.

I'd like a PCP with significantly more power. The Tech Star seems to have a good reputation. I like the fact that the BSA is made in Britain; not so impressed that the Chuntsman comes from China. And Compasseco currently has the Tech Star on sale, making both about the same price.

But the proof of the pudding is always experience, so I'd like to hear from owners of both rifles. :thumb:

R/ Jim

5. Bastropjim

Bastropjim Member

Here's the Techstar

I decided I just HAD to have it, so I ordered it last weekend.

UPS delivered it today. Not a scratch on it - hooray! Sure looks like it's gonna be fun. We'll see - report to follow.

R/ Jim

6. Bastropjim

Bastropjim Member

Shot the Techstar this evening ...

I changed out the FX fitting in my quick disconnect coupler with the BSA probe. Then pumped the new Techstar up to 210 bar. It only took 1/2 the usual number of strokes to get from 100 to 210 bar (due to smaller air tank). Nice surprise. :D

Cocked the action, hit the lever on the side of the receiver, and chambered a .22 Crow Magnum. Released the safety, aimed for the bullseye, and squeezed the trigger. KAPOW! Wow, that's loud! :eek:

About the same as a .22LR short. Good thing the muzzle is threaded (for a moderator).

My target was only 10M away, so I walked over to inspect the hole. About 1" high and 1/2" right. OK. Fired a second round. Couldn't find a second hole in the target. ??? Checked the bore with a light; bore is clear. Fired a third round. The hole was offset just enough from the first hole to see that all 3 rounds went through (essentially) the same hole! Wow, not bad for iron sights in poor light!

Wiped the metal down with an oily rag and applied Armor-All to the rubber buttpad. The blueing looks perfect.

The Techstar sure looks good so far. :thumb:

R/ Jim