1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scopes Hawke vs mtc vs nikon

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tomsteebs, Feb 22, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

right then, thought i'd do a simple (amateur) side by side test of 3 popular brands glass quality.

simple as this;

3 scopes, all set to 6x magnification, all pointing in the same direction, all focused the same.

you decide what you think is best. (ignore the cloudy part on the base of the nikon photo, it's just camera angle and the camera would not focus on the hawke reticle)
    the chimney is about 45yards away, the leaves are about 20yards away.

personally i think the nikon was the best by quite a bit ( especially considering its a 40mm he clarity and field of view is very good) with the hawke not too far behind (but this is a 50mm and the glass has imperfections)
    suprised by how poor the mtc is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. scoie

scoie Busy Member

good comparison, ive always struggled with MTC to honest , have 2 x hawkes , airmax and panorama on my air rifles and like them a lot, on my other pcp ive a prostaff 3-9x50 and all my rimmies and centrefire have Nikons , 2x monarchs and 1x bushmaster , for value for money and glass quality they are unbeatable, I also have a zeiss conquest and for the difference in price , its not comparable to the price difference
    craig

3. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Interesting but wouldnt it be better using a maybe a mamba as the connect has a much wider fov so isnt really comparing like for like, imho of course.

4. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

well yes, but image clarity is still viewable ;)
    im not comparing like for like spec'd scopes just 3 different types of glass which fov isn't really imo important to judge this, i just commented on fov with the hawke and nikon because they have basically the same field of view but are not the same lense size....

5. mattyts

mattyts Donator

How are you lining up the camera to the scope? has to be perfect each time,ideally some kind of mount system like the Deben

6. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

i have seben but its easier with just tripods or by hand when using a fujifilm hs10 ;)

7. Mike_H

Mike_H Donator

Just a question but as they are all at 6x mag shouldn't the chimneys all be the same size to compare the sight view properly. I understand that the MTC has a larger field of view so that when the chimney appears to be the same size as the other two the MTC picture would be bigger in diameter.

Or or am I missing something?

8. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

i know what your saying, and i assumed that equal magnification would equal, = object size, and then fov would simply mean a wider overall image.
    i can assure you they were all on 6x mag, but whether this is accurate is a whole new ball game ;D

the nikon and hawke are basically the same magnification by looking at the photo.

im sure cloverleaf, accupell, terry etc... will know ;)

it could be to do with eye relief.....or distance between eye and objective lense.... or even that mtc think 3x mag is the same as 6x mag and lie ;) hawke did this with the ev technology when it came out and did a video which was simply zoomed out ;)

unless this is just how wider fov scopes work? which would seem illogical and fake

9. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

An interesting comparison - ta for sharing ;)

I have a few thoughts:

1) Was this shot on full manual? If not it's possible that different camera settings are affecting the images (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, colour balance)
    2) The FOV isn't related to the objective diameter - this controls the depth of field and light transmission, so is analogous to the aperture on a camera lens.

To me it looks like the Nikon gives the best contrast and similar colour rendition to the hawke, which is better in both regards than the MTC. Sharpness looks comparable between all three, but then the MTC image has been cropped less than the other two I assume..

Looking at the MTC shot, it appears over-exposed compared to the other two; which might explain the "washed out" effect to a point. Worth looking at the image EXIF for camera settings for each shot?

lol - I'll have a stab!

I think the issue is that all the posted images have been resized to the same diameter, despite their different FOVs. Assuming the mag settings are reasonably accurate, a fairer comparison would probably be to resize them all so that the chimney was the same size in all three :)

10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

i shot it on semi-auto in the end, i tried doing it on manual so all settings stayed the same but it simply wasn't working very well as my camera seems to like over exposure even on the lowest setting when on manual.

but, im happy that the images are relatively accurate, as the mtc was actually almost that bad!

with regards to cropping, the images were all cropped to give about the same ocular lense boarder.
    the mtc would have been less cropped due to close eye relief. so yes this would effect the relative size of say the chimney as the images are the same size, but when looking with your eye that image would be about twice the size?

i did this purely as a quick glass quality test. which i think it has proven what i can see by my eye.

im honestly surprised by the mtc's performance, the depth of view of these though is outstanding though!

mamba's and vipers are better, but i wouldn't say they are better than hawkes sorry to say. nikon for me are the go to glass for the money.... i may buy a vortex diamondback and compare aswell....

11. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Cool - I thought it probably wasn't done in manual. Obviously for a more valid comparison it's best to keep all the settings the same if you can; however you have to work with what you've got :)

Absolutely as it should be and I suspect as it appears when actually looking through the 'scopes, although you might not notice it so much as when the images are posted next to each other.

Yeah, to be fair while innovative, apparently good value and covered in twiddly bits, I don't think most MTCs have comparable build quality to the Hawkes, and I suspect the lenses might leave a bit to be desired, too - although given how different the connect it to the others I don't necessarily think it's fair to compare the two - as previously mentioned something like a Mamba lite would probably have been more appropriate.

I agree about the glass in the Nikon - I use Hawke though as I much prefer the versility of the 1/2 Mil Dot ret; IMO a fair trade for the better quality of the Nikon glass :)

12. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

i agree the viper connect is quite different, but i assumed the glass was the same.... and i dont have any mamba currently

i will do another one and try to use manual mode, but why the exposure is too much when only on 100 instead of 6400 is confusing.
    i am not keen on hawke, only the reticles are what draw me to them :(, but im moving all over to glass over features for scopes. will probably be using 2 nikon efr's and either a diamondback or a bushnell legend....

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

NIKON for me Tom you got the order right first time.

But after selling the Nikon to you I bought a panorama 3-9x50 and although I liked it it wasn't as easy to use as the Nikon, so I sold it virtually unused.

Ive had a few MTC vipers and had a few hawkes passed through my hands, but I will say my mate bought a BSA S10 recently and his has a MTC mamba on it and for some reason it is loads brighter sharper and crisper than any MTC Ive had, seems they vary and I once had a champion HFT shooter he noticed the same, he had one MTC he trusted more than his Leupold but others he sold on.

What you will always get is Better eye relief with Nikons and Bushnells than any other cheapers stuff, I think MTC eye relief can be very fussy on the majority and Hawke much better but fussy PX.

14. Shooter22

Shooter22 Donator

Hi,

Posted on another forum about the MTC connects asking for peoples opinion as I was looking to purchase one.
    Anyway went to a local gun shop to have a look through and have got to say what a pile of sh**e, that goes for all the MTC range, not a patch on the Hawkes as regards vfm.
    The Nikon in the photos look the best for me though.

15. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Of course on that other forum if you say you have had a problem with an MTC they are all over you like a rash getting you to belt up because the company owner has an account on it! I do not like MTC scopes, the wife did, I don't, always found Hawkes worked better for me!

16. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

they are not all bad, the panorama's i have found also suffer for qc, some mtc's are very good some hawkes are very good, but also you have bad ones, a bad nikon would be a good hawke/mtc....

but i do agree with you in the main in terms of glass quality

17. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Personal opinion, i think hawke are utter ********, they just don't work with me at all and i would put mtc above them every time. Ive had most scopes sub £350 and for me the mtc mamba lite 4-16-44 has worked out the best, hence me having around 9 or 10 over the last few years.

18. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Whereas our experience was the opposite, only one good MTC and the rest were absolute fertilizer, whiting out at the merest hint of sunshine! But scope choice is like gun choice, purely individual! Hawkes work best for my eyes!

19. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

This I simply don't understand. If you get a good scope, why get rid of it? Surely you keep it and put it on the next rifle.

Tom - I know what you were trying to illustrate, now go and repeat that exercise twice more:

1. With the sun just grazing across the front of the objective lens - not in view, just looking into the light a bit as if you were roosting with the sun going down.

2. After sunset.....leave all three where they are and keep checking which you can still see to shoot with as time ticks by. Tell us which one you can see to shoot with the longest. You could stick a pigeon decoy in a tree or something as a target to view. Oh and time how much longer the two remaining scopes can view the target to get a shot,so you need to start the timer when the first one gives up and grains out. Note the extra time you get with the middle one, and then the extra time the last man standing gives.

I know what the result will be - but you go and try it.:D

20. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Yes I should do that really, this was simply a 15min test which I think illustrates correctly what I can see at that time of day in those conditions (when most probably shoot).

I'll soon have 4 scopes but unfortunately the Hawke will be going anyday to be replaced and the mtc I'm undecided on as other than poor glass, it is a handy scope, but I don't know whether that warrants its price tag for my intended use of it being on a .177 (all my .22 scopes have/will have no aimpoints) I think it's further back mounting is a big advantage for balance so it may stay