1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hawke Fastmount 3-9 X 40 Ao Scope

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by oodish, Feb 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. oodish

oodish Member

Hello all,

I have managed to pick up my first scope today, one of these Hawke Fastmount 3-9 x 40 AO for £50. As far as i can see the only difference to the Vantage which everyone reccomends is that it is a 2 piece tube and not a Mono tube? Plus it came with mounts which i also needed lol. Anyone had or used one, thoughts??

Cheers Dave :)

2. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

You can't complain for the money the hawke are good value at the lower end of the scale ,

oodish likes this.
  3. oodish

oodish Member

Yep, that's what i thought. As its a new hobby i didn't want to spend mega money just yet but didn't want unreliable gear either. So far i have managed to grab my HW99s, Hawke Scope, Bag and Pellets all new from different places and spent about £260 in total.

4. TR158

TR158 Posting Addict

Welcome oodish. Sounds like a bargain package :thumb:

oodish likes this.
  5. Aston_Shooter

Aston_Shooter Busy Member

They're not bad to be honest, pretty good value.

Check the mounts though, they're OK but not great. I've had a couple where the screws are cr@p (badly formed heads etc). They will do the job though.

Also, don't take it as a given that the mounts are a) aligned and b) tight enough. People take it as a given but it's often not the case. No big issue of course, but just one to check.

But yeah, not a bad scope at all for the price you pay ;)

6. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 & 2019 Forum Nice Guy

Great scopes, punch above their weight

7. Pleides

Pleides CORVID DISPATCHER and DONATOR

I have the same on my three lads. Good scope for the spec and price :up:

8. Virak

Virak Busy Member

My 1st scope was a 6-24 x50 AO, bought a year ago, fine except I now realise my eye/brain likes fine graticules( spent a lifetime using microscopes), the inked graticule I could not get on with, for 25/35 yd 10 + 15mm targets, the graticule seems to be in my.
    Am sure fine for many people certainly
    Used it on an AA400 carbine started HFT bought an Airmax compact 4-16x44.
    Sold the Fastmount to a lady that shoots Rimfire on eba*.
    Asked her to advise how she got on as I had zeroed it via a mirror.
    Her 1st 5 shots at 125yds ( don't no anything about Rimfire) gage a group the size of her compact( face pad case).
    She was really chuffed.

Seems not a lot wrong with them then

9. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Major Poster

I didn't have a great experience with mine if I'm honest... :shrug:

10. pjgtech

pjgtech Better than a Poke in the . . . . . Ouch!

I have one of these, (as well as panorama, airmax, etc) bought it when I bought my Kral NP02, to be honest they are basic but they do the job, are reasonable quality and good value. Hawke have good after sales service, lifetime guarantee, etc. :)

11. Claypole

Claypole Posting Addict

I got this scope whe I got my first rifle (HW95K), it cost me £65 a couple of years ago.

I didn't really know what I wanted from a scope, so I want to spend too much, yet didn't want a random bit of junk off Ebay.

I'm only an occasional shooter, and this scope does a decent enough job. I've had to shim the front mount, so maybe the tolerances are out a bit on the mounts, but it's not really an issue. Image quality drops off a bit at x9, so I try and stick to x6. The AO adjustment is a bit stiff, and can be a bit inconsistent (regarding distance markers and focusing), so I try and leave that alone too.

This scope is very decent for the money.

oodish likes this.
  12. DJP

DJP Busy Member

I've got two and I like them, they're my budget scope of choice.

oodish likes this.
  13. oodish

oodish Member

Well it looks like I made a decent choice at least, hopefully it does just what I want it to! Thanks for the replies chaps!

Aston_Shooter likes this.
  14. Philip Canard

Philip Canard Engaging Member

I own only American and Japanese manufactured scopes, except for a Hawke Nite-Eye 3-12X50 AO IR, which is Chinese made. The Hawke is the least costly, but also the lowest quality. Mind you, I am used to something like a Weaver Classic V or a Burris Signature Select on my centerfire rifles. The problem is that when you get into a premium scope like a Burris Signature Select, the defects of a Chinese scope will become plainly obvious.

Some of my gripes with the Hawke scope: even in barely freezing weather, I can hardly turn the AO ring, and sometimes I may need to use a scope in subzero weather, where the AO ring would be locked frozen. It's that cheap snot grease that is in every Chinese scope or bino I ever used. Might not bother you if you never hunt below freezing temps.

The power ring turns backwards from every American, German or Japanese scope out there. In a hurry, I often turn it the wrong way, and it costs time and has made me miss quick shots when hunting.

The ocular bell is big and wide. However, the image is not across the full diameter of the ocular lens and it is like looking down a tunnel. Field of view is lost relative to a scope that uses the whole ocular lens. Could have used a smaller ocular bell for the same field of view and had more bolt handle clearance, which is critical on Mauser type bolt rifles, and allow a lower placement over the barrel.

The Hawke weighs too much compared to a Leupold or even the cheaper Redfield scopes that Leupold sells to their low end customers. A Redfield can be had for a Hawke price, and I get lifetime USA factory support. No time limit on the warrranty.

Chinese 50mm scopes and binos often use only something like 35mm of their aperture because the outer edges of the glass are basically too low quality and will seriously degrade image quality. My Burris 4.5-14X32mm Timberline AO scope is just as bright and sharper at 6X than the Hawke Nite-Eye is at 6X, plus much smaller and lighter and tougher. It's AO focuses down to 7 yards and the elevation and windage clicks are 1/8" at 100 yards, not the standard 1/4" clicks, so you can really get it zeroed exactly on target. A great scope for airguns and subsonic .22LR as it has a ballistic reticle as well, that is quite fine for small targets like birds. Has multi-coated optics that are equal to a Leupold VX-3 at twice the price. It is an outstanding value for about $330 and has been in the Burris lineup for many years. Has an excellent track record. Many are available used if cost is an issue. Much better than getting a Chinese scope. It is used on many centerfire mountain rifles that use a short action such as .308 Win. or 7mm-08 Rem., which are very lightweight and hard recoiling rifles. It will more than go the distance on airguns and rimfires. It is an outstanding choice for CZ 450 series rimfires, as the small ocular bell allows lower mounting than most while allowing enough bolt clearance. Mine sits on my CZ 452 American.

Go to a gun shop that sells high end scopes like Leupold and Zeiss and look through a few. If you can get a cheaper scope that comes close to that, then go for it. The Japanese manufacturer OLW makes scopes for Bushnell Elite, Sightron, Vortex and Weaver and at a similar price point they are similar quality across those brands. They made my Weaver Classic V that sits on my CZ 527 Kevlar Varmint and it has a ballistic reticle for .223 Rem. Leupold service will put any reticle of theirs of your choice in most of their scopes, and they have a lifetime warranty that passes on to the next user if you decide to sell, so they have very high resale value.

My Hawke Nite-Eye has an AO scale that is calibrated in feet instead of yards, so if I want 50 yards I have to select 150 on the AO ring. Aggravating, but I work around it.

I DO like one thing about my Hawke scope, and that is why it has stayed on my Lonestar .25. The SR-6 ballistic reticle was designed by an Englishman for airgun and subsonic .22LR use and the tic marks are right on at multiples of 10 yards which makes it easy to pick the right tic mark on the reticle if I know the yardage.

Maybe Hawke scopes are better than most Chinese scopes in their price class, and since it sits on a PCP that has very little recoil, it might last, but Chinese scopes are noted for soon failing under recoil if used on heavy recoiling centerfire rifles. For a beginner, the Chinese Hawke scopes may be OK, but I plan on staying with American and Japanese manufactured scopes on any future purchase. I understand that the top end Hawke scopes are Japanese manufactured, but have never handled one. Whatever scope you buy, make sure it has a good domestic service source with a reasonable turn around time.

Another thing about the Hawke scope that I have seen on other Chinese scopes is that the stated 1/4" clicks at 100 yards is more like 3/8". If you are 2" off at 100 yards, then you should apply 8 clicks of correction. The actual number of clicks will be closer to 6 clicks. Not a big deal in a cheap scope, but would be totally unacceptable for a long range scope on a centerfire rifle. If you zero the scope and use a ballistic reticle for long range shooting, it might not bother you too much.

good luck finding a suitable scope.

Phil

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    oodish and Peter Norris like this.
  15. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Posting Addict

Philip above - Very well written the mods should turn it into a Sticky.
    Peter.

oodish likes this.
  16. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

:welcome:

Nice little rig you've assembled for £260...:thumb:

:worthless: