1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Have I made a mistake buying this 2nd hand compressed air bottle?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Dag, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Ok, so I have to admit I am an impulse buyer. However when picking up my new S400 last week I kept looking at the large bottle in the RFD's workshop.
    "What capacity is it and how much?" says I,
    "It's 15litres and £130" says he and then tells me "it's full and tested with 5years before retest"
    I ponder for a long time , well about 10seconds, and say "Ok, I'll have it"
    To cut a long story short when I get home I start reading threads etc on cylinders and re-read Matty's recent advice to me, but it's when I get to Cloverleaf's sticky on them that I begin to worry.
    Then, and only then do I start studying the stamps around the neck and find the bottle is 34 years old and has 200/300 stamped on it. Having read Clover's ditty I am now wondering:

a) If I am filling my S400 to 190bar will a 200 bar bottle have enough in it to do the job?
    b) Is b) even a valid question if, say, I let the rifle's pressure drop to 110bar and fill it to ,say, 170bar?
    c) Given that I thought a 15litre bottle would mean I only had to fill the rifle once a year depending on usage will all the above mean it will be no better than if I had bought a 3litre 300bar bottle?
    d) Was it a really bad buy or is £130 spread over 5years reasonable even if it is a big b****r to haul about.

The moral of this story is, of course, do your research before you buy a bottle. Anyway, I got a good deal on the rifle and trade-in and at £130 there is no way I would take it back as I went into it with my eyes open (even if they were full of cow Censored! ;) )
    All answers to the above questions most welcome. Please excuse my ignorance of PCP's and air cylinders!
    Dag

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

Are you sure this bottle is 34 years old,as most places would not even retest something as old as that.

3. Strathrpc

Strathrpc Keyboard Hero

We managed to get our lifeboat bottles retested and some of them are over 40 years old! That's why they're Inspected and then tested, if they pass the tests, then they're deemed OK!

4. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    it sounds like a 200 bar bottle, and if it is, it will only fill the s400 to 170 bar a couple of times mate. personally, i would bite the bullet, take it back, and p/ex it for a 7litre 300 bar bottle. you will get over 35 fills from this.
    if he is a reputable rfd, he will give you the full price back, especially when you explain that you didnt know any different

5. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

Assuming a few things. S400 standard, fill from 110 to 180, you will get around 18 fills from it.

A 3ltr 300 bar, much smaller and lighter. about 30 fills.
    7ltr 300 bar ~53 fills!

6. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Crikey, there's quite a bit of variation here but if it is only a couple of fills then my comment " I got a good deal on the rifle and trade-in and at £130 there is no way I would take it back as I went into it with my eyes open " would be a bit daft.
    I'll have to talk to him.
    Thanks
    Dag

7. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    yes, take it back mate, and p/ex for a 300 bar bottle - more efficient and much more portable

8. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

Thats good to know then as i was going to just scrap two old bottles i have here as they are marked 84 i think,a mate had said i would be wasting my time trying to get them retested as probably no one would touch them,

9. Donzo

Donzo Banned BANNED

Steel botles are good for a lifetime but must be tested every 5 years for land use, and 2.5 years for diving. + it all depends on the valve that is fitted.

10. stryder5

stryder5 Donator

I bought an aluminium 9 litre cylinder, last tested 1985, passed all tests with flying colours.

11. Samobaggins

Samobaggins I own to many fx rifles

When the bottles are pressure tested they measure how much they stretch! If it's with in the limits it's 100% fine. They normally can tell you how much they stretch too.

12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

In short yes, unfortunately it sounds like you've bought a proper turkey :(

Excellent - I just put the same info into my (otherwise unvalidated) spreadsheet and got exactly the same value :)

If you push the fill pressure up to 190bar the number of fills falls to 8 :eek:

Totally agree about the 3L 300bar cylinder - £140 around here for a cylinder that's new, has a 5yr test, is smaller, lighter and will give far more fills.

Yup - that's another good point. I suspect that (given it's age) Dag's cylinder will have a sub-surface valve; and hence will be subject to a 2.5yr test.

As for what to do next Dag; that's a difficult one. The dealer hasn't broken the law if the cylinder was in test when sold; although he has properly had your pants down. I doubt he's obliged to take the cylinder back (and bet he was bloody glad to get rid in the first place) however if he has any conscience or values your future custom he might reconsider.. good luck ;)

13. Chris.allum

Chris.allum Donator

in theory , a bottle with a cert , is a bottle with a cert .... and should be as safe as any .... however youll get such a low fill count , compared to a bottle half the size rated to 300bar

the dude in the shop has seriously fleeced you ... he should have said this barrel that weighs as much as a house will cost more than a new 3 ltr and give half the fill count ...

not good of him

14. themadspread

themadspread Donator

just take it back tell him that you now know youve been well and truly done up like a kipper and put the money towards a 7lt 300 bar if he dont aggree pull him over the counter and give him a right hander wont get you your money back but you will feel a whole lot better

15. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

You need to be absolutely sure what was said at the time of sale. If he misrepresented a dive valve with a 5 year test, then you have every right to take it back - the rest is beside the point. If it has a surface use only valve then the test is every 5 years, if it has a dive valve with a connector screwed on it, then it HAS to be tested every 2.5 years by law - the shop does not know what use it is going to be put to after sale - you can unscrew the airgun connector and go diving with a dive vlve - but you can't with a dedicated surface use valve (with built in gauge). You have told us he told you a 5 year test...that is ONLY for a surface valve.

Age is fine for a steel cylinder - many in use were made in the 70s, even some still being used for diving. If it has had water inside, then the life is going to be very much reduced, saltwater will ruin a cylinder in hours, because of the pressure and therefor the heat. Everyone knows that heat is a catalyst (you wiggled your test tube in the flame of a bunsen burner to add heat and speed the reaction up).

I think you should go back to the shop forwith and suggest they sell you a proper cylinder for the job, rather than try and misrepresent a cylinder. If they refuse simply state the sale of goods act - that cylinder is unfit for purpose. How many fills did he say you would get out of it...I bet there are a couple of trips-ups you can use as misrepresentation. Be firm, get the local Trading Standards phone number before you go and put it in yourphone...show him if he is awkward and say, this is your last chance or I am phoning Trading Standards right here and now.

16. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

"you should go back to the shop forthwith and suggest they sell you a proper cylinder for the job"

And that my friends is what I did. Without a quibble the RFD has taken back the 200 bar cylinder and with a few sovs passing in his direction I now have a new 4litre 300 bar cylinder with gauge and connections and am still on excellent terms with him.
    I very much appreciate all the suggestions and comments made her and have to say I honestly believe the RFD man acted in good faith. In fact he is still of the opinion that the 200 bar cylinder would have been adequate given its larger capacity and is really concerned about me using more than 200 in case I blow up my rifle.
    I think it would be fair to say the airgun side of his business is not his field and is normally left to others. Whatever, he's a very nice guy and he acted fairly and promptly.
    Lessons learnt? Dag needs to take things more slowly and to do a bit more research in this forum before opening his wallet.
    Searching after the purchase was a tad daft if I say so myself........and there's a fair few of you would no doubt agree.
    I do think I need to understand the physics of this a bit better!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. All's well that ends well they say!
    Dag :eek:

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Out of interest,how much extra did you pay him for the 300 bar,4 litre?

He's talking rubbish if he would pick the 200 bar over the 300,I couldn't even fill my Ultra with a 200 or 232 bottle :(

Makes me wonder how much he knows if the valve,was like Mike said,one that required testing every 2.5 year and he told you test interval was every 5 year.. :rolleyes:

18. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

Well that's great news for you and fair play to the RFD for doing the swap without a problem.
    Just be careful opening the valve, very small amounts even if it's got a flow restrictor in it, until you get used to it.

You don't want to prove him right!

Simon

19. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

It is a Hydrotech c/w connectors and valve as per the ads. Much more easily handled and cost £194 so £64 above the price of the 15l 200 bar cylinder. I guess if one shops around it could be bought a lot cheaper but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go for it especially if it resolves an awkward situation.
    dag

20. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

That 4 litre is a special Faber cylinder that Hydrotech had made specially for them. It is the same as a 7litre extrusion, just shorter - so it is short and fat, not long and slim like a 3-litre bottle - stands up on its own and so much better for transporting, plus gives 30% more fills than a 3-litre.

Excellent choice Dag.