1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scopes Have I Been Sold A Pig In A Poke?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hampshire Tog, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Fancied putting a side focus scope on to my TX200. Was at the RFD and had a mooch around for what they had. I have Hawke and Optisan scopes and would have gone for either of those. ! wanted something up to 16 x 50mm. They offered a Nikko Stirling Diamond 4-16 x 50 which while dearer than I was hoping to spend, I ended up buying because the shop had done me some deals in the past and I trusted their recommendation. Nikko Stirling is also a brand I hear mentioned on this forum a lot, usually in positive terms. The scope is nice and bright with an uncomplicated reticle.

Given the width of the scope, (56 mm at the fat end) I mounted it in some Nikko Stirling High mounts and I set about zeroing at 30 yards. I just about got there but on the last click of the vertical turret. There is no more 'UP' I can go. Looking at the scope in more detail, I note it is an LR scope which I imagine means Long range? The parallax wheel goes to from 10 to 500 yards which is optimistic for a sub 12 ft/lb air rifle.

1.) Was it right for the RFD to have recommended this scope? 2.) What should I do now? Does anyone have experience of successful scope shimming? I gather fractions of a millimetre e.g. the width of a couple of pieces of tape can make all the difference. Would some adjustable scope mounts make a difference?

Thanks as ever for your wisdom.

2. milek

milek Honorary Member

What type of shooting do you do, with that we can tell if their recommendation was right? It should be ok for most situations . Swap the mounts round first and see what gives.

3. Regal Man

Regal Man Very Active

Id take the scope back to the shop, and say its not fit for purpose. Something not right there.
    No way should the turrets, need to be as high as they can go. And maybe more.
    Could be the scope got damaged in shipping.
    Unless its used at range it may not show. But you have found a fault.

4. StellaArtois Sr

StellaArtois Sr Springer Whore

It has happened to me a few times and I have had no problems shimming the scope. I usually use a film base as it doesn't need much to adjust, and certainly don't over tighten the bolts as you run the risk of putting crimp marks on the scope.
    Just remember that you will need to shim the rear mounts.

foxtrott likes this.
  5. shauny

shauny Top Poster

as said lift the back to give you ,more elevation.(unless you have sunstroke):thumb:

The Robin and milek like this.
  6. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

I shoot targets out to a max. of 80 yards.

Thanks for the tip re: swapping mounts. Unfortunately, I can't swap the mounts because the rear mount has the arrestor pin.

7. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Thanks for this. When you say a 'film base' what do you mean? I've read old 35 mm celluloid film can be used but who uses that anymore? Can one use strips of insulating tape?

8. shauny

shauny Top Poster

tape or popcan strips.:up:

9. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

Used to used the negatives from 35mm film cameras once upon a time ;)

10. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

I would not use insulating tape. You need something that wont squash out.
    35mm film really is best and there's tons of it about. Just try asking around.

11. scanner

scanner Engaging Member

12. FPoole

FPoole Posting Addict

Aluminum soda can cut into strips works good. I think it's about .007" thick. One shim raises my point of impact by 1" at 25 m. I have used as many as 4 layers, but I cut them a bit more narrow than the ring width and make each a little narrower than the one above it. Gives me a bit of a taper on the one ring at least. Don't crank down on the ring screws really hard or you may crimp the scope tube.

metalman likes this.
  13. Regal Man

Regal Man Very Active

Have you got a spare, scope you could try for comparison? What you have ive had it, the scope got send off to Japan to get fixed.
    Being a Light Stream no way was i going to throw it away.

14. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

Remove the arrestor pin then check to see if things change.
    If things do change with the mounts swapped round, get some better mounts.

15. subzeer0

subzeer0 Engaging Member

try cutting a pepsi bottle or the like for shims...it works

16. Patrick

Patrick Donator

If you like the scope apart from the fact that you've run out of elevation adjustment you could shim the bottom cradle of the rear mount using either 35mm film negative or folded up aluminium kitchen foil are two of the favourite materials to use. Personally I don't like the idea of shimming scope mounts as there's a risk of damaging or marking the scope's body/tube. The alternative and much better idea is to buy a droop compensation mount made by SportsMatch or Hawke which cost about £25.
    To be honest I doubt if the RFD was unaware that you'd run out of elevation adjustment on a TX200 unless he's had someone else suffer the same experience,it's rare on fixed barrel rifles unlike break barrels. Putting the same scope on another rifle and the problem may not be encountered.Scopes themselves depending on make/model do vary in the amount of adjustment offered on the adjusters.
    If you want to shim the rear mount using kitchen foil you can go on the BSA web site,the factory site not the owners site, and under Optics click on setting up a scope and there's an article showing you how to fold the foil in a certain manner and use it so that you don't mark/damage the scope's body/tube.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  17. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

cut a couple of bits of plastic from a round bottle.

18. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

I shimmed the mount on a HW97 once using the 35mm negatives.
    Had some work done on it and was told the barrel was slightly bent,and that was on a supposedly new gun.
    They straightened it for me at the same time and I had to take the shims back out again.
    Might be worth checking the mounts are in the grooves properly, more than once I have put a scope on to find it wasn't sitting quite right.

Hampshire Tog likes this.
  19. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Thank you for that. All good tips. Who knew a few microns of material like 35mm film could make such a difference?

20. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Already on order! Mind you, it's a Nikko Stirling scope and I used Nikko Stirling mounts. One would have thought that if any are the right ones then it would be those.