1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hatsan Striker 1000S zeroing joy .25cal

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by GMballistic, Jul 20, 2017.

1. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

As of late I've gotten heavily into my vintage/antique BSA's and have actually spent a fair bit of time buying, shooting and generally enjoying them.
    Some of my threads here; http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums...uot-for-my-latest-airgun-purchase-vintage-BSA
    http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/230344-BSA-Standard-No2-AKA-quot-Long-Tom-quot

...But, :D today I changed it up and spent some time with my more modern & arguably cheaper Hatsan Striker 1000S in .25cal.

View attachment 162753

I bought the gun back in January this year and had been generally just plinking with it using the great standard fibre optic open sights which come on the gun. For those that don't know it's a .25cal Turkish made air rifle putting out pellets at just below the legal limit.
    It cost me £113 odd if memory serves which I thought was a bargain for a brand new .25 cal rifle anyway but to get it with a wood stock was a real bonus.

After testing the gun's power early in my ownership (after bedding in) using the 4 different pellet brands I had purchased it made for some interesting results imo.

• BSA Pylarm ~ 18.6 gr ~ High: 11.8ft/lbs, low: 10.4ft/lbs ~ 31.9fps velocity spread
    • H&N FTT ~ 19.91 gr ~ High:11.3ft/lbs, low: 10.9ft/lbs ~ 9.4fps velocity spread
    • H&N Baracuda Hunter ~ 27.47gr ~ High:10.9ft/lbs, low:10.5ft/lbs ~ 8fps velocity spread
    • Bisley Pest Control ~ 26.24gr ~ High:10.8ft/lbs, low:10.5ft/lbs ~ 4.8fps velocity spread

The above results were shot from a string of 5 shots with peak power being shown. The velocity spread was gauged from the difference between the highest velocity achieved and lowest velocity achieved over a string of 5 shots.

A few weeks ago I decided to sell my 1990's Limited Edition Camo Webley Tracker in order to add some funds towards the antique BSA's that I was buying. The buyer bought the gun without the scope which I was happy to keep to put on the Hatsan so I fitted that today as seen in the pic at the top of the page.
    The scope is a Tasco 3-9x40EG illuminated reticule with Butler Creek flip up covers and a Butler Creek honeycomb ARD (Anti reflection or glare device) insert.

Firstly from a kneeling supported position I shot a string of 5 shots in each type/brand of pellets at my targets which were 10 metres away. This gave me the below groupings.

The H&N FTT, Bisley Pest Control and the BSA Pylarm all gave very good tight groups but for some reason the rifle really didn't like the H&N Baracuda Hunter pellets which were very spread out.
    View attachment 162757

View attachment 162764

After that and following on from my power results I decided to make the H&N FTT the pellets I'd zero the gun with and generally use in it from now on.

To zero the rifle I shot it at 10 metres from a kneeling supported position (using the low table pictured above as my rest) firing a string of 5 shots each time before adjusting my scope and replacing the target before the next string of 5 shots.
    As the scope was a fair bit off zero when adjusting the turrets at first I did it in large groups of "clicks" but then as it got closer to the centre line/bullseye I moved it in smaller groups.

The rifle was shooting high left (as seen above) so I firstly adjusted the windage bringing the POI (point of impact) inwards from the left to the right.
    Once I had the pellets hitting more or less in the centre line I then dialed in the elevation bringing the POI downwards towards the centre bullseye. After around 50 pellets I was zeroed for certain as I achieved the below... :cool:

View attachment 162766

Very pleased with that especially as the .25cal makes for much larger holes, so pellet on pellet accuracy is great. FYI the centre of that bullseye is slightly smaller than a 5 pence piece.

The targets I'm using are Bisley targets which I simply print off from my computer when needed and I find them great for shooting as the white centre bullseye makes it easy to see with open sights and the score point numbers help keep scopes level from tilting etc when zeroing or aiming in general.
    Available here FOC: https://www.mccloys.com/media/catal...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/i/bisley-card.jpg

I know most people on here know about zeroing etc but I thought I'd write it out just briefly for anyone who wanted to know. Hope it's not bored you all. :up:

Anyone want to hazard a guess of how many .25cal pellets it takes to make a tin can look like this...

View attachment 162767 View attachment 162768

:D

2. shauny

shauny Top Poster

3. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

I have one of these as well and they are a fantastic gun for the money. The 1000s is actually the synthetic stock version of the striker. What you (and I) have is the wooden stock known as the 1000x. If you look on the Pellpax website these are now selling for £239 which is a bit steep I think.
    m
    I have a leapers 2-7x32 IR scope on mine, bought from JSR for £32 and it complements the rifle well. I did have to do some extensive pellet testing to find what mine likes. It favours H&N filed target (not FTT) which are a diabolo with a raised ridge on the dome. These fit the barrel well and will group like yours at 25 metres. Not bad for a cheapish gun and a large lump of lead projectile. I can hit cans in the dark at 50 metres with 4 mill dots of holdover.

In answer to your "tin can" question, the answer is not many! :D

4. dodgyeye

dodgyeye Donator

God shooting and any info will always adds to someone's knowledge pool :up:. That's a great price for .25 cal. I too find fibre optics sights very good, I have replacement fibre optic foresight on my gamo.

Got to give basic uncomplicated springers a :up:.

5. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Any more pictures of your rifle shauny?

You've made me think why didn't I remove the rear open sight when I fitted the scope now. :rolleyes: :lol: Job for the weekend now.

That price is crazy money and thanks for the info, re: the name of the gun. Didn't know that. ;)

I think even with the suggestions from you both I may stick to the H&N FTT pellets for now as they perform very well. Might try the others in the future though especially as I'm yet to see how the pellets perform at a longer range. Hoping to go to the AGF summer meet at Nomads in August so I'll take the Hatsan then.

Question/s for the Hatsan owners;
    Have you removed your guns from the stocks to lube the spring/guide? Mine sounds a little dry if I'm honest which I was going to investigate this weekend.
    If so any recommended Lube which works well in the Hatsan?

Thanks.

6. Ratdog

Ratdog Banned

My 25 striker loved FTT, Bisley superfields and pylarms.
    It also shot the super heavy Res Superdome very well too.

DRAGONBAIT666 likes this.
  7. shauny

shauny Top Poster

more pics :) View attachment 162773 View attachment 162774 View attachment 162775 View attachment 162776

8. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Very nice shauny. :cool:

How's the mod/suppressor held on?

The stock looks darker than mine, ...did you re-do the finish on it or is that how it came?

Also any info re; the spring lube?

Sorry for all the questions. :redface:

9. shauny

shauny Top Poster

the mod is a slip on with a very good friction fit,but used a drop of loctite as well.it it only extended the barrel by about 4 inches,but worked very well.i ended up shortening the orig spring,as it went a bit ...er high. just gave the piston a polish,and a re lube with some of my moly mix lube,also made a new
    guide/tophat. very smooth to shoot with no twang. fyi, marksman usually give the highest ft lb.

10. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Thanks for the info shauny. :up:

I love the size of the holes the .25 makes in the things it hits. :D Such a child at heart still.

11. shauny

shauny Top Poster

yeah. ooh forgot,the stock came like that. :)

12. Patrick

Patrick Donator

A bit steep! you're not kidding you can buy the Hatsan Mod 55s(.25cal) for a lot less than that and that's got the superior quattro trigger.

13. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I'm going to have to get one of these .25 hatsans one day, shop near me sells the breaker 900x but it's only advertised in 177/22, is it only the 1000x that's available in .25?

14. Evilchild

Evilchild Busy Member

Hatsan do a few 25. I also most got one of them. Kinda gutted I didn't. I must admit I had a cheeky too at them lady night....may be i could....get another....

15. Patrick

Patrick Donator

The Hatsan Mod 55s is available in .25 as well as .177 and its got the Quattro trigger which is much better.

16. mark1967

mark1967 Engaging Member

Striker 1000X can be had for about £125 plus postage from Poland. Clicky
    Quite a few of the Hatsans come in .25

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  17. Patrick

Patrick Donator

One of the local dealers in my area but not the one i use does the Striker 1000X(wood stock) for £145 and they're not known for cheap prices so importing from Poland when you take carriage into consideration would be about the same price.

18. Ratdog

Ratdog Banned

Put a bit more water with it buddy .

19. Evilchild

Evilchild Busy Member

hmm, predictive text...and tiredness with a whole of stupid thrown in too....

20. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

I bought mine because I had always wanted to try the .25cal and for the price of these rifles I thought why not. ;)

I'm so glad I did as I love the larger calibre for plinking purely because of the damage it causes and the Hatsan is a bargain for the money imho. As Patrick mentions though the Mod 55 has a better "Quattro" trigger unit (apparently ~ not shot it myself) but I can work with the trigger the Striker has just fine.

I find on my Striker 1000 when cocked (with the safety removed) there is a "dead zone" which I can very slowly pull the trigger backwards through until I meet a stopping point/resistance, ...then I just take aim and squeeze through the last part firing the gun. It's actually really nice to shoot like that.

@Evilchild ~ If you did decide to get a second rifle a change of calibre is always a good decision imo.
    Such a shame not to try the other larger or smaller calibre's airguns have to offer.