1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hatsan 55s

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Akita177, May 23, 2014.

1. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Im finding the piston seal a very tight fit, gun was bone dry next to zero lube just some black oil at the end of the comp cyclinder and theres no tophat at all just the spring end agaisnt the piston, though the spring looked good and was finished fairly good.

Trigger isnt quite a Record Trigger but a quick adjustment gave a good break with no creep and a light pull wieght apears to function very well for a budget gun.

Another quick observation was it feels like the guns a bit wobbly in the firing cycle do these guns suffer from spring torque?

what mods have yo guys done to your hatsan 55s?
    Im thinking possible nose extension to short stroke and more importantly lightening the piston as its a very large heavy beast.

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Jay5488 kindly fettled mine and fitted a WW kit,miles better.

My spring had a bit of movement before,noticeable if you shook the gun

3. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

The 60s I worked on had a single, very tight spring guide, but that was it! I made a two part set with slip washers which worked well to counter the torque. Oldbugger on here has one in his webley stingray mk2 as well. If you have access to a lathe I have the dimensions written down.....

4. Akita177

Ive seen someone mention using a thrust bearing to fight the spring torque, i weighed the piston and it was 340grams which i feel is too heavy for sub 12ftlb?
    Im suprised at how similar the workings where to an old webley and scott Eclipse and Omega.

5. 177

177 Donator

I lightened the piston in mine, made a top hat and spring guide, a debur and polish here and there, and reassembled with some good lube in the right places.

Much better.

Then I tried a cut down Titan mainspring.

Better again.

Then I ordered a replacement piston seal and a Welsh Willy kit.

The seal needed sizing but once that was done and the WW kit installed the gun was totally transformed.

To roll back a bit though, I could have easily stopped at the top hat and spring guide phase - the lighter piston made a big difference though.

There's no getting away from the fact that this is a gun designed to run at over 12 FPE...

6. siox07

siox07 Active Member

My advise would be to stick a AWT gas ram in it mate.I did and it transformed the rifle.Very fast sharp straight back firing cycle with no twangs etc and with the barrel shortened and recrowned and a Deben 130 Whisper silencer fitted the rifle was very quiet for a piston rifle.They are very nice quality rifles for the money those Hatsans and with a bit of tinkering with can be great rifles.I have also been told that lightening the piston helps further with the firing cycle but I never did mine.

7. Akita177

I should have measured the amount of metal from the end/skirt of the piston to the edge the trigger sear latches could you remove some metal for the side the sear enages for a tiny amount of short stoke, probly not worth it though.

Trying to keep costs down as its going to be an open sighter.

8. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Seeing as Hatsan make Webley rifles now I wonder where they could have got hold of those???

The 55 and 60 is basically a much impoved Omega, which is also the Stingray mark 2!

Also they were designed to conquer foreign shores where feet per second rule and make very good FAC rifles, they are throttled back for the UK market!

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  9. mattw975

mattw975 Big Poster

An improved Omega (Brummie), surely it's not possible !!

Is taking away the barrel latch design now classed as an improvement ?

10. Akita177

What size thrust bearing is needed?
    I wonder if its worth putting a thrust bearing on both ends of the spring as my 55 does get a real wobble when fired?

11. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

You'd be better off with delrin slip washers, or even just a pair of thin steel M10's and a smear of moly at each end. Thrust bearings are a bit hit and miss and would add even more weight into the piston.

12. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Interesting thread as i have just ordered myself a 55s and im looking forward to getting it as they seem like a lot of gun for not alot of money.

Im looking at cutting mine down to a more carbine length,and having a play with the internals.

Just got to wait a week!

Gaz

13. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Bought a Mod 55s last week and it does seem very good value for money i.e walnut stock and the rest of the gun appears to be well made and the trigger is very good.I've only put about a 100 pellets through it and haven't touch the internals apart from taking the action out of the stock and putting a couple of drops of lube on the inside of the cylinder and a bit of grease on the spring through the cocking slot.It's smooth to cock with no graunchy noises and no spring twang on firing and at the moment I'm just trying different pellets,got 20 bisley superfieds inside a circle the size of a 1 pence piece at 10mtrs outside on a breezy day.I'm sure these guns could be made to shoot really well with a bit of fettling & TLC.Depending on what part of the country you live in you can buy two of these for price of one HW 99 and wont have any galling problems.I know what I'd prefer.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  14. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Ow, the HW fanboys won't like that!

15. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Well I got a Hatsan built Webley Longbow SE .22, what can I say? No twangs, no boings, no horrible graunchy noises when I cock it, he shoots lovely. The only minor gripe I have is that I have to give the end of the barrel a good twatting to get it to break.:D

Of course the upshot of that is that the barrel to cylinder fit is very good, and I like the detent bolt arrangement. The build quality is superb, the walnut stock is a thing of beauty, the blueing on the metal work looks very well executed. Other than my Longbow, I have no experience of Hatsan rifles at all, but the longbow is anything to judge by, Hatsan make a very nice rifle! I do quite fancy the Dominator 200W but I will wait to see one in the flesh before I make me mind up on that one.

Just my two pennarth.................

16. Patrick

Patrick Donator

They may not like it but the truth sometimes hurts.Why would you buy a gun that costs twice as much and has a beech stock not walnut and an inherent problem with the cocking linkage as well as being a bit twangy from what I've read on here :confused: The polishing of the metalwork on the outside may not be quite as good as HW but I can live with that especially if I'm saving a hundred quid.

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I love my Hatsan but would love it 10 times more if I could put the ball detent from my Th208 onto the hatsan so I didn't have to get a run up to break the barrel.

18. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Ball detents are easier to break but in imo are not as positive but there again I'm no expert

19. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I don't need it to be positive,just secure,ball detents do that for me.

20. Akita177

My advise to anyone getting a 55s is before you shoot it strip it clean it then re-grease/lube, as out the box there dry and dont shoot nice till fully relubed.
    I dont buy into the Turkish walnut thing most are a plain wood with a stain, breaking the barrel is a ballache but on the plus side i hope it gives a good lock up.

Second outing with gun today after being relubed and the gun is transformed shoots lots better with a couple more tweaks to the internals i will be very happy.